“Cozy Friendly Hotel in the Sixth” 5 of 5 stars

Sevres Saint Germain Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Rue Saint-Placide, 75006 Paris, France (Luxembourg)   |
Ranked #227 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Vancouver, Canada
“Cozy Friendly Hotel in the Sixth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I visit Paris regularly and keep coming back to this cozy hotel in the best arrondissement for shopping -- two minutes from the incredible department store Bon Marche -- and strolling and the Musee Dorsay. It also is on Line 4 of the Paris Metro which zips you easily all over the city. The hotel has been recently renovated and has become my home away from home in the city of LIght. Ask for a room at the back to minimize street noise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cécile Marie I, Directeur général at Sevres Saint Germain Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you so much for this wonderfull review, I'm really glad that this hotel is become your Parisian home !! See you with real pleasure a next time. Cécile

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have stayed 3 times so far at this hotel. The reason: my husband and I combined must have been to Paris about 100 times in the past 20 years. We have stayed in all sorts of all hotels from the highest category where you pay 600 € a night to the lower 3 star for 100€. In the end, we always return here because although it is about 200€, it is clean, rooms are bigger than your average Paris pokey place and the location cannot be beaten if you love St Germain.
It has a great local, the Nemrod , on the corner. The whole area feels a bit less touristy with posh Parisians going about their business. Also there is a Velib stand right in front. Nothing better than grabbing a bike early in the morning,cycle along the Seine and down the Champs Élysées!

I find Paris such a minefield as far as hotels go but here,whilst it is not top luxury,it delivers what I look for and I don't feel cheated out of my money.

Room Tip: Renovated room with street view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for this recommendation! We are happy you enjoyed each time your stay... See you soon. Cécile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I was a solo traveler and found this hotel very quaint and inviting. The hotel itself felt like a miniature with the rooms, elevators, hallways small but comfortable. The continental breakfast was good, I was glad not to have to pay for breakfast. The room I had overlooked the street and had a very Paris flavor. The neighborhood is very safe and warm, away from the beaten path of locals. I found a deal online and for the price I paid it was definitely worth the stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a long weekend at this hotel and had a brilliant time. Although the room was small, we still had enough room to get ready. We used the safe provided in the room everyday which was extremely helpful! The staff were extremely helpful, givign us information about the metro, and attractions such as a river cruise. The only negative thing would be that the breakfast was not brilliant. We had the same thing everyday, it lacked variety. The hotel said there was a variety of cheeses but there was only one, and there was no hot food.
Check out was at 12 and our train wasnt until 9pm but the hotel allowed up to leave our bags there while we used up our last day in Paris, and we were even able to come back to the hotel early and chill out on the sofa in the reception area. The hotel is close to the metro stations which is a very easy transport system to understand.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pleasanton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

After 2-1/2 weeks in France which included several "budget" hotels, we decided to pay more for a luxurious final stay in Paris. While the Sevres Saint Germain was certainly adequate, it did not justify the extra cost.

On the plus side, the staff was helpful and the bath towels were huge! The shower was also enclosed, so water didn't splash all over the bathroom floor like at the places that only had a small "shield" mounted next to the showerhead. On the downside, the bed wasn't very comfortable--we both woke up with sore backs, which hadn't happened at any other hotel--and the walls are not well-insulated against sound. We were both woken at odd hours by travelers moving around (packing, unpacking, using the wc) in their own rooms. There is a lift, though (as with several hotels in France) it's only big enough for one person with luggage at a time. As mentioned above, the staff was helpful, loaning us a plug adaptor so we could re-charge our camera batteries and giving us a cup of ice when we requested some.

What you're really paying for, I believe, is location. This hotel is in a quiet neighborhood (except for the early-morning garbage collectors) and it's safe--we were able to walk back from the Metro station after midnight with no worries.

Finally, we did NOT eat breakfast here due to the insulting overpriced cost. Luckily we had already stayed in ten other hotels on this extended trip, so we KNEW that every other place charged between 9 and 10 Euros for breakfast. For the EXACT same selection (we checked the hotel menu), Sevres Saint Germain wanted 15 Euros each! We got croissants at the patisserie next door and put those 30 Euros towards a nice dinner instead.:-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Really bad taste left in mouth after paying a hefty bill for a booking for five people for three nights the owner took an unauthorised payment for a half a bottle of champagne that
I disputed. I received an pleasant email accusing me of trying to cheat them. For the sake of this they good will and our future business. Wireless was in and out. Pleasant enough hotel but breakfast pretty average and price high. Lovely staff but the lack of goodwill from the owner means I wont recommend it. It was pretty empty so not sure how well it is doing anyway. Book elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
American living in Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

When we checked in we were given room 41. As we approached the room the cleaning woman rushed out. When we walked in the whole room reeked of formaldehyde (e.g., it was very recently painted). The room wasn't large but was big enough, but the room had been cleaned in a rush. There were still hairs and hairballs in the bathroom and floor. The bathroom was a little shoddy given the price of the hotel, and there was only a stall shower, no bathtub. The street faced the street, and was quite noisy with the window opened. We went back downstairs and complained about the paint stench. The woman beamed and said "Yes, it's one our most recently renovated rooms." I asked if they had any rooms available with a bathtub, and she said they had one available but we'd have to pay 20 euros more a night.

We took a look and the room (room 2 on the ground floor) was much nicer. It was bigger and much quieter (faced the inner courtyard instead of the street). It had a mini-fridge, a proper desk, a bigger bed, and the bathroom was significantly nicer. We decided to take it, even though it ended up being 180 euros a night.

Pros:
* Nice big bed (actually two beds pushed together, but without a noticeable crack in the middle). I like firm mattresses and my husband likes softer mattresses, but both of us really liked the mattress and comforter on this bed.
* Newly renovated bathroom with magnifying mirror and hairdryer. The bathtub also had a shower fixture in it.
* Air conditioning. It was pretty cold when we were there in June (50-75 degrees), so I can't say how well it would work on a hot summer day, but the temperature was pleasant when we were there.
* Spatious.
* Mini fridge. Although the fridge was in a wooden box and so it couldn't cool that well. It kept our water cold enough though.
* Free wireless internet, that let you login once and stay logged in the entire visit.
* Friendly staff who spoke English well.
* Elevator for the upper floors.
* Reasonable location. Only two blocks from the nearest metro station. Pretty centrally located.

Cons:
* Expensive.
* Wireless was pretty weak. Went in and out continually, even in our room on the ground floor right near the lobby.
* Bathtub is extremely narrow. I fit in it but my husband's shoulders were way too wide. He wouldn't have been able to lay down in the tub.

I would consider booking this hotel again if it were significantly cheaper, and if we could be sure to avoid the stinky newly painted room.

Room Tip: Room 2 is much nicer than room 41.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sevres Saint Germain Hotel? Share your experiences!