“Has Potential, But In Need of TLC” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 boulevard Haussmann, 75009 Paris, France   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1,036 of 1,792 Hotels in Paris
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Has Potential, But In Need of TLC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The location is great. Check in was a good process and the staff was extremely friendly throughout the stay. If I would rate on Staff alone it would be 5 stars. They really were helpful and friendly.
The Lobby and Bar were extremely nice clean and welcoming. I especially was a fan of the chandeliers.
The room is where rating went down. They have great potential but do not seem well kept. Paint is chipping, beds were extremely uncomfortable. My room unfortunately smelled like the previous tenant had finished a cigarette minutes before I arrived. The smell lingered for my entire stay.
If some care was put into the rooms updated beds, and a good coat of paint I would stay again. Why would I? The staff who always greeted me, and were again very helpful. Hopefully I hear of updates to beds before I book my next trip to Paris.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a good location that's about it, nothing else is 4 star.

The staff are typically rude and can't even bring themselves to say hello most if the time. Waiter in brasserie literally barks at you, waitress roles her eyes when you don't take your plate fast enough from her. Breakfast is of poor standard and each morning they would run out of certain items yet fail to ever replace.

Rooms are shabby, we stayed in 310 which is supposedly a club room, dirty tables covered in stains, no slippers or dressing gown as promised, no bed for my son as requested, no directions as to where complimentary breakfast is served, in short this hotel tries to get away with the bare minimum but charges ridiculously for the privilege. 30 euros for 2 alcoholic drinks, 5 euros for a single cup if tea. 20 euros for the most basic sandwich.

If you are someone who doesn't mind throwing their money away to be treated like you are invisible then this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2012
Jean-BaptisteNoel, Hotel Operations Manager at Millennium Hotel Paris Opera, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Plummc,
First of all, we are sincerely sorry to read that your stay with us was not satisfying and that your perception of hotel is not up to what you expected.
Reading your comments, I will indeed review the staff training as this is clearly unacceptable and fully check the room 310 personally.
Finally the prices are clearly higher than in the UK however I can assure you that our prices are standard to the Parisian market or even under. For instance we even offer happy hour in the bar and our Brasserie pricing is based on the high street restaurants around us.
Kind Regards
Jean-Baptiste Noel
Tring
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Up to 2007, we stayed at this hotel two or three times a year, so were happy to return for a week in October. Nothing had changed: the Hotel badly needs a refurb and some of the rooms are quite
shabby now. we stayed in the same room as always ( 512 ) - the same uncomfortable beds,
antiquated plumbing and furniture by Oxfam. The staff are holding things together: Ann-Marie was still there, having taken over as Concierge and was as always, very friendly and helpful.
Examples of a slight decline in standards were found at Breakfast, where the Scrambled Egg is no longer made with cream and fried eggs were no longer available cooked by the Chef whilst you waited. The Brasserie lunch was still of good standard. This Hotel badly needs some fresh investment and impetus to support their good staff.

Room Tip: Try for a free upgrade on arrival. Rooms 512 & 514 have Balconies
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tom T,
Thank-you for writing your comments on tripadvisor.
I was really disappointed to read that you did not enjoy you recent visit in Paris. We are working hard day after day to maintain are standards to the highest level and we have well noted your comments which will help us to improve for your next.
Kind Regards
Jean-Baptiste Noel
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am a frequent traveler to Paris, and have always stayed in well known prolperties near the Champs, such as the Ritz, Hotel de Crillon, Four Seasons- George V, Fouquet Barriere.........
This was my first time at this property. I was familar with the hotel chain, having stayed at one of their properties in London. I was pleasntly pleased with this hotel. The location is UNBEATABLE!!! smack in the heart of Paris , easy Metro access, 1 block from major shopping (Galaries, Printemps, Sephora, H & M.....
There are also multiple places to eat ranging from Brasseries, Bistros, McDonalds, Starbucks, Subway...., so there is something for everyone.
You are walking distance form the Opera, as well as Rue Faubourg St Honore and the Champs. The Roissy shuttle from the airport drops you and picks you up 2 blocks away, no need for taxis or reservations at all.( 10 euros)
This is a very lively , populated area because of all of these ameneties, so if you really want the true feel of life as a Parisian, this hotel can't be beat.
The building itself is Old World elegance. Breakfast can be included in your room rate. Breakfast is adequate, with multiple food choices. (keep in mind that Parisians eat contenential style for breakfast), so they do cater to American and other European sensitivities with food choices.
The hotel offers FREE WIFI. This alone puts it a cut above.
The room rates are great as Paris rates go. I found the price of my junior suite to be an excellent bargain. This also allowed me access to the executive lounge. This lounge was quite small, but the unlimited beverages including wine will come in handy in the evenings. They do put out hors deouvres in the evening and pastries in the morning, so you can nosh if you choose to.
The staff is friendly and accomodating. I will make this my go-to hotel going forward. If you want the opulent Parisian and spa experience , opt for one of the aformentioned properties, but if you want to be like the Parisians and really soak up local color, this hotel CAN NOT BE BEAT!!!!!!
Don't miss the Food court in the Galaries Lafayette, it is bigger than Harrods and will BLOW your mind!!!!!!!

Room Tip: choose a Junior suite with executive lounge priviledges
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

It was a pleasant change to stay in a city centre hotel that reflects its location rather than corporate styling. The location is very good. As others have said, you can walk (within reason) to several main sites. We took the green tour bus (a 2 day ticket costing little more than a 1 day) and saw just about everything Paris can offer.
Our hotel room was large and well equipped. We had room service one night. It was quick and no more expensive than city hotels in the UK. Considerably cheaper than some similarly rated London establishments.
Breakfast was perfectly ok for us. Coffee and decent pastries, with some cooked items.
Reception staff were helpful, although a bit slow sorting the room out on arrival (mentioned by others), but polite and considerate.

We will go back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hereford, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Millennium Paris Opera to me is an example of a fine older European hotel that hasn't lost its charm. It's in a good location not far from the Place de la Concorde and with easy metro access. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. If you're looking for some whiz bang American spa experience don't go, but if you like a classic old style hotel this is a great place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Millennium Opera did not fail on every criteria, but there were enough negative points that I will never stay with them again.

Anyway, the high points - the front desk staff we're nice and helpful. The issues we had we're basically out of their direct control. Also, no real issues with street noise - I had a room with a small balcony overlooking the side street and external noise level was just fine. The location is very good - easy to get to metro or walk to the Louvre. Went for a couple really nice jogs along the Seine - the first and last km you're dodging typical city trafffic but after that it's fine. I would recommend first cutting over to the Opera and then to Louvre for your run since the sidewalks are quite a bit wider on those streets.

Other points - breakfast was lame - scrambled eggs were basically inedible, the fruit poor quality and not really prepared properly - e.g. too much rind on the melon. Overall substandard breadth of options. I asked for an omelette on day 2 (having given up on the scrambled eggs) and was told that was a different breakfast package. I could have an omelette but would have to pay for 2 breakfasts. No thanks.
- Noise from the neighbors - granted hotels are a bit trapped here since they don't want to intrude on anyone. That said, the pack of hyenas that were still going at 3am was a little much (day 1). New neighbors on day 2 - regrettably, they left after 1 night and day 3 brought a new set of noise - this time the bed jumping olympics at midnight. Desk took care of it after a phone call. Be advised, the walls are very thin and while the desk will intervene, you're still having you're sleep disrupted.
- Dropped off some jeans and sweatshirt to be cleaned - service lists that turnaround time is in by 9am, it'll be back by that evening. I dropped mine off at 8am. Got back after a day of meetings to find my sweatshirt waiting (nice and clean), but not sign or record of my jeans. Spoke with the desk - they left a message since the cleaning staff had already left for the day. Fortunately my jeans appeared the next day - no word of explanation. Good thing I didn't wait until my last full day in Paris to have them cleaned or perhaps they'd still be there.
- Room rate - this one is the deal breaker - we booked our rooms and then discovered the company we were working with in Paris has a corporate rate established with the Millennium for client visits. We contacted the hotel the day before arrival to ensure the rate was changed to reflect the corporate rate. They told us it could be changed upon check-in (arrived on Sunday). Upon check-in the story changed, we'd need to email the manager, but of course 'there won't be a problem.' After multiple follow up emails we finally receive a response on our last day saying they wouldn't be able to honor the corporate rate since we had made the reservation under a different rate. Annoying on multiple levels - if they had told us that on Saturday, the day before arrival, it would have been a simple matter to cancel the existing reservation and create a new one with the corporate rate.

In short, we were played by a disreputable management team. Be warned.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators - they are an old school design that involves a bit of noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Millennium Hotel Paris Opera? Share your experiences!