“Great lobby and Jazz Bar-Very dated rooms but clean” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Etoile

You added Le Meridien Etoile to your Saves list
Le Meridien Etoile
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Boulevard Gouvion Saint-Cyr | Cedex 17, 75848 Paris, France   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #902 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great lobby and Jazz Bar-Very dated rooms but clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I stayed for 2 nights and overall I was satisfied but at the rate of €210 Euros per night it is way overpriced for a very dated room. The lobby and Jazz bar look great but the rest is very old fashioned. My reason for choosing this hotel was because of a conference that was also at the hotel. The breakfasts were pretty good too.My main disappointment was the price and state of the room only.

• Liked — Jazz Bar
  • Disliked — Dated and expensive room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Olivier_LMP, Hotel Manager at Le Meridien Etoile, responded to this review, February 3, 2009
Dear Client,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you very much for having chosen Le Méridien Etoile for your latest stay in Paris.

Every observation is extremely valuable and helpful to us, in our continued objective to strive for excellence in all areas of the hotel.

However, we were sorry to learn, through your questionnaire, that you were disappointed by the general style of the room which you fouond outdated.
Please note that we have started a general refurbishment last year. Presently we have completed 5 out of the 9th floors.

Apologizing again, Dear Client, we hope that despite our shortcomings on this occasion, you will nevertheless grant us a renewed grant opportunity to welcome you back to Le Méridien Etoile.

Assuring you of our best care and attention, we remain and thank your loyalty to Starwood.

Yours sincerely,

OLIVIER SERVAT HOTEL MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for three days and 2 nights after a trip to Kuala Lumpur. I got in at 7 am and had to pay about 50 euros for early check in (check in time is at 3 pm). The staff was very helpful and friendly. The desk clerk told me I could leave my bags with the concierge and return at 3 pm, but after a 12 hour flight all I wanted was a room.

After check in, the desk clerk gave me a Meridien Etoile Paris Map (for dummies) which is like the BEST MAP ever if you are visiting Paris.

There was a warning however, when I made the reservation; the hotel was being remodeled and they said "drilling may be heard during the morning hours". Well, the drilling was taking place in the wing where my room was.

The room was nothing special but it had a view to a beautiful plaza, and it was quiet (last room in the hall). It had a 42" inch LCD television, a minibar and a lot of Paris materials: Books, maps, pamphlets, brochures, and trip options.

Service at the restaurant was excellent, although in July of 2008 the Euro was at an all-time high so food was really expensive.

The best part of this hotel is the location. Exactly in front of the Air France Shuttle stop at the Palace of Congress, which takes you to and from CDG terminal at $14 euro (about 20 bucks).

The concierge in the lobby was about 100 years old but he knew Paris like no one's business. He knew all about the best deals for eating, tours, visiting, he was very helpful. He will tell you all about getting the most out of your money.

The bathroom was spotless; however it is split in two. The shower and sink are in one room; the toilet is in another room (they are right next to each other). The toilet's lightbulb was acting up, I called and they changed it within 10 minutes. The shower room had everything beautifully arranged from soaps and creams to towels and bathroom necessities.

The room's furniture is not exactly modern, but the shower itself is new and the LCD TV made it look like a million bucks. For what I had paid, I decided to make use of it sleeping off my Malaysia flight. Totally worth it.

The Arc of Triumph and Champs Elysees are only a few blocks away. I did a complete tour walking from the hotel to La Defense in one day, next day I walked straight to Trocadero and the Eiffel Tower. Location is UNBEATABLE.

Everything in the minibar and the restaurant is awfully overpriced, but if you cross the street you will find several asian-owned supermarkets where you can buy pastries, bread, cheese, juices, cereals, etc. really cheap. Just stuff that in the minibar and you are set.no extra charges.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Remodeling going on
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
OlivierServat, Olivier Servat Hotel Manager at Le Meridien Etoile, responded to this review, March 19, 2009
Dear Edwie
Thank you for your review on the tripadvisor site. Your comments on the hotel especially regarding our Concierge staff and location are very encouraging and will be shared with the team.
Your remarks on food and beverage outlets have been passed on to our F&B Manager.
Thank you once again for bringing these issues to our attention.
Hoping to welcome you back ,

Sincerely
Olivier Servat Hotel Manager
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

Booked this room, well in advance, through Priceline, knowing that it was going to be stay over new year's eve. Paid $164 USD/night for a total of $361.76 for two nights including all taxes and fees. It seems the rate paid will highly influence perceptions at this hotel. There is no way I would feel well if I paid the over $500 euros rate per night that is posted on the sign on the front desk.

My son and I arrived on the TGV from Geneva at 1:30 p.m. Waited for about 10 minutes at the check-in desk. All positions were open and busily serving other guests, it was just that busy. Upon check-in I was informed that the hotel was fully booked for new years; but I was still able to check in early to a room that was already cleaned. We were given room 1093.

Since I had booked this hotel quite early I had almost a year to read the ongoing reviews of this hotel and the rennovation project that was going on. I was fully prepared for what I experienced.

First off, I did not get one of the newly rennovated rooms, which really didn't bother me too much. However, the constant noise through the walls all night long was maddening. To top it all off the construction noise started at 7:00 in the morning. I actually think they must have been jack hammering the tiles in the bathroom directly above our room. Long story short: typical Priceline room. Considering the room rate was relatively inexpensive, the hotel was in Paris, and it was new year's eve, and the fact that I always travel with ear plugs, it worked out O.K. My 21 year old never complained once about the noise.

There is FREE Internet on the 7th floor. When you exit from the elevator lobby on the 7th floor, turn left. There are two terminals in the hall. Everytime I checked there were occupied.

A reviewer on this site suggested a restaurant called Le Relais de Venise 'L'Entrecôte' at 271, Boulevard Pereire Sud. If you exit from the hotel, turn left, go to the end of the block and turn left again. In the middle of the road is the enterance to the subway/RER system. Cross the road, keep to the left of the subway station building enterance and cross another road. The restaurant is on the left with red awnings. It is AMAZING! It is AFFORDABLE! The reviewers are correct in advising to line up early. We arrived at 6:30 and were the fifth group in line. By 7:00, when they open, the line went down the block and not everyone got in. (this would have meant another 1.5 hour wait for these people) Arrive by 6:30. There is no menu. You get steak frites. They simply ask you how you want your steak. The salad was amazing, the steak amazing and the fries awesome. The house wine was incredible, so much so, I purchased a bottle to take with me. I have heard that they also have a location in Central London now.

Also, if a light breakfast (read: coffee and chocolate croissants) go across the road to the convention center (salle de congress). There is a shopping mall on the lower level with a good little chain called "Paul". This chain seems to be all over the place, but you can get a "pain a chocolate" for 1.10 euros.

As other reviewers have stated the Air France "autocars" bus to the airport is right across the street. The metro/RER entry is at the end of the block, 45 second walk (exit the front door and turn left). Even though this hotel is not central, it is easy to get to all of the sites quickly via the very efficient Paris underground system.

Even though the room did have some short comings, the city was amazing, the people of Paris friendly and helpful and our overall stay memorable.

• Liked — Vibrant lobby, location close to transit, hotel brand Le Meridien.
  • Disliked — Outdated, noisey room.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We just returned from 4 nights at the Le Meridien Etoile and were very, very pleased. My husband and I had a newly remodeled Executive room (#2078). The room was comfortable, quiet and wonderfully decorated (Euro modern) and had the BEST shower! Everything about the experience was perfect and we would stay there again. It is only about a block from the metro and RER, there is a shopping mall and grocery store across the street and many nearby restaurants.

The concierge's and doormen were very helpful. We almost did not book this hotel because Starwood has made too many errors on giving us points, but we are very glad we made this choice.

Thank you Le Meridien for a wonderful experience.

Mark and Teri Hanson, Minnesota

• Liked — The large size and comfort of the Executive room
  • Disliked — The pillows
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
COUSTY, Olivier Servat Hotel Manager at Le Meridien Etoile, responded to this review, March 11, 2009
Dear Guests –Kajon

Thank you so much for this wonderful review on our hotel.

We are all very proud of our newly refurbished hotel and are delighted to read your great comments on both the product and staff .

Your comments on our Concierge and Doormen are very encouraging and have been shared with all the team.

We are glad you feel good with us and we thank you once again for your feed back as this help us ensure your stay is perfect when you return.

Please feel free to contact us on your return.

Thanking you again,

Kind regards
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

Stayed in this hotel on new years eve after getting a very good deal on Hotwire. Situated in a very nice location directly across the street from a metro station, and about 10 minutes walk from Arc de Triumphe. Have stayed in Paris on numerous occasions always staying in lesser hotels in the Latin Quarter, but paying roughly the same cost for a lot less comfort, would definitely reccomend to anyone, we had a standard room which had a king size bed, flat screen tv, safe and a bath ( bizarrely my first experience normally only showers in Paris) would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
OlivierServat, Hotel Manager at Le Meridien Etoile, responded to this review, March 19, 2009
Dear Surfer,

Thank you for this very nice review. We are delighted to have made your trip most memorable.
Sincerely

Olivier Servat
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I stayed at Le Meridien Etoile in September of 2008 and booked two rooms using starpoints through Starwood's website. I chose the upgraded club president level rooms which had the benefit of private level check in, rooms at the highest floors of the hotel, and complementary breakfast in the morning. Transfer to the hotel was easy and took only half an hour since the bus stop is right in front of the hotel. Check in on the club president floor was quick. We found out that drinks were free anytime the lounge was open, we could get free access to internet on the two computers in the business center, and we could get passes to use a gym across the street. Rooms were fine but small with limited view and the bathrooms were new and clean. In the morning we were suprised to find that the complementary breakfast served in the louge had a plentiful selection of foods including hot bacon, sausage and eggs, not to mention, breads, cold cuts, pastries and coffee. The breakfast alone made the rooms worth the extra points needed to upgrade from the standard room. Overall our stay was fine. The service we received was always friendly and helpful. I loved being able to use the business center since at the time 24h of in-room internet access would have cost us $40. Free water and coffee in the lounge were also great treats after a long day of touring. The only issue I could mention is that the hotel is not close to the main tourist sights and getting to the center of paris took about a half hour by subway each way. Overall I really enjoyed my stay there.

Stayed September 2008
farmington Hills MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2008

We stayed here for six nights due to a combined conference and leisure travel, and booked this property specifically because we are Starwood frequent guests.
Our check-in was quick and efficient, and we were able to get in our room right away, The standard room was rather small (but we expected that after reading the reviews) however clean and very adequate for our stay. The bathroom also was big enough, however in the tub/shower combination, the glass door was not adequate to prevent water from spraying on the floor after showering. The breakfast buffet was included in our room cost and was more than adequate with a variety of offerings. It was enough so that we didn't need lunch. The hotel was in a very convenient location, right near the Metro stop, train station and gallery of shops across the street. There are some good restaurants nearby. Overall we had a good experience at this hotel. The one problem we encountered was after we arrived home and found that we were not credited with anywhere near the right amount of Starwood points, even though we paid the property directly.
We had a lot of hassle and time spent with getting our Starwood points credited, but after a few phone calls and emails to Starwood preferred guest it was finally resolved.

• Liked — Great location for getting around,
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Le Meridien Etoile? Share your experiences!