“Negligence at its maximum” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Odyssey by Elegancia

You added Hotel Odyssey by Elegancia to your Saves list
Hotel Odyssey by Elegancia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 rue Herold, 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Palais-Royal)   |
Ranked #147 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
Zurich, Switzerland
“Negligence at its maximum”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I had to go to Paris for two days for business and I decided to stay one night at this hotel. I arrived at 11 and they told me that the room was still busy, so I should come back around 15h. I came back around 16h and they offered me a coffe while my room was "getting ready". Finally, around 17h they told me that actually they didn't have any room available, although I had booked the room through their homepage and I had an email from them with the corresponding confirmation. Being already late, they offered to accomodate me in another hotel from the same group, which was a lower category one and where I got the worst room I ever had in a hotel. Being so late I didn't have much choice, but the lady from Hotel O told me that as a compensation I could get a drink at their bar. They have good reviews, because it's new, but negligence like this will destroy their reputation quite fast if they don't improve. To top the list of bad experiences one of the employees called Etienne was arguing with another one called Alex in front of 4 passengers. The one called Alex tried to keep face, but it was an uncomfortable situation that they should also avoid. Last comment I will add is that while having a coffee waiting for the room one of the managers passed by and asked "Is everything ok"? I answered "not really" and he just kept walking...why to ask, I wonder. You have only one chance to give a first impression, never forget that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Toret8
Bruce Z, Gérant at Hotel Odyssey by Elegancia, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Sir,
I have to say that I have been very sorry to read your review and so for the following reasons:
As you said when you came back to check in we proposed you a coffee as we were trying to find an appropriate solution as we were trying to repair the sliding door which is separating the toilet from the room. We had a shooting from a famous magazine and they broke the door and as you were two persons occupying the room it was problematic. What you do not say in your feedback is that we explained you the problem and we proposed you to have the room for free as we were not happy to propose a room with the door of the toilet broken and as we were fully booked that night. You refused to come up with us to check the room to tell us whether it would be still ok for you or not. That is why we proposed to accommodate you in another of our hotel, which is just 2 minutes away from the hotel O. Hotel that has been completely renovated and redecorated just a year and a half ago. As at your check out you told them that you found the room pretty dark they arranged to make you see other rooms as for you to have an overall picture of the different types of room and display. I have to tell you that they did their best as they wanted you to leave the hotel with a better opinion on what we are proposing and they were very disappointing to see how you qualified their establishment.
You are right the receptionists that you are talking about should have never let you feel that they did not agree on the way to deal with the problem encountered in the room. However, it show that they are very concerned with our guests satisfaction.
I was the person that did come to ask you whether everything was fine while you were waiting for your coffee to be served. I did not know at the time that you were the person waiting for the room. But again as we really want to make sure our guests are having a good time we tend naturally to enquire about them. Your answer was “not quite yet” and as my colleague was preparing your coffee I thought that you were referring to that. You did not have an attitude or sayings that would have suggested in any way your dissatisfaction. I would have been more than happy if I knew to make my best to sort out the situation.
Sincerely yours,
Bruce Ziesler
Hotel manager

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, nice location, brand new and friendly staff !
Price is ok for a hotel in the centre and it is very modern.
Rooms are small but if you for a citytrip it is more than ok.

Staff by checking inn was very friendly and help you whit everything, I know for sure this hotel will soon in the top 10 of tripadvisor.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

This place was a great surprise.

Friendly staff, really professional and attentive.

The rooms are extremely clean, well decorated and with very comfortable beds. Only weak point is the size of the rooms.

No fitness.

Location Is perfect, 5 min to Chatelet, 7 to the Louvre.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We live in the US and stayed for one night at Hotel O in early November. Looks like the hotel came under new management and has been completely renovated in Oct. 2012.

Our expectations were exceeded in every way with this hotel. The rooms were spectacular (beautiful modern designs with stunning color usage and fixtures). The staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke good english. The Louvre was around a 5 minute walk from the hotel and we were able to take the train directly from Charles de Gaulle airport to a stop that is around a 10minute walk from the hotel.

Overall - highly recommended. Looks like the other reviews on tripadvisor are from the previous hotel that was at this location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was so excited to stay in this hotel after having stayed last year at the nearby Hotel Crayon which is owned by the same group. Unfortunately the staff at Hotel O have quite a bit to learn about basic customer service.

All was fine until the day I checked out. Our train back to London was at 19:13 in the evening and after having a lengthy discussion with the very pleasant woman at the front desk that morning when we checked out we decided we would come back to the hotel for a 17:00 taxi. She even said "See you at 5pm!" on our way out.

The hotel rung me at 4:30 to tell me my taxi was waiting for me. I explained that I had wanted a taxi at 5pm. That should have been the end of it. But I received a second phone call moments later from the hotel saying that the morning staff had insisted I had booked for 4:30 and when I asked why she was calling me back about to argue about this with me she literally said "Well everyone is saying something different". Is it really important to the hotel's business to ensure that they win an argument with a guest about a taxi? Is that considered good customer service?

When we got back to the hotel - to make matters worse the manager was there - and instead of apologizing to me and smoothing things over - he seemed to also accuse me of having lied to them about really wanting a taxi for 4:30.

After spending 550 euros with them over the weekend I would think they could just let whatever the taxi booking fee they had to pay go. If they are going to argue with a customer about something so trivial what kind of argument would they have say over something more important.

I will certainly not be going back to any of the hotels run by this group if this is really how they think the guests should be treated.

Room Tip: Most of the room's windows face into an air shaft so if you want any kind of sunlight consider b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jensho
Bruce Z, Directeur général at Hotel Odyssey by Elegancia, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Madam,
You are quite right I do manage both the Hotel Crayon and the Hotel O and I was managing the Hotel Crayon when you stayed last year.
I would like you to know that I was extremely sorry to read the way you felt about your stay in your review. Working for this particular group of boutique hotels allows us to propose a unique experience and to be close to our guests and their requests.
It is my duty to make sure that the requests of our guests are being met in the most efficient way. Especially as our hotel has just opened a month ago and we are aiming at getting to a high level of services.
I am very sorry that you said such a "trivial" event took such a proportion.
If we insisted on calling you a second time it is because the taxi was waiting at the hotel and we needed to understand what happened exactly and especially as we are facing numerous demands of this kind and very often our guests tend to be late, or forget the exact time at which they ordered the taxi and sometimes they even forget having ordered one. That is why we are extremely careful and if it is from our side, we do the necessary reorganization for it not to happen again. I was not implying in any way that you were lying to us.
Once again, I am insisting on the fact that the teams of both hotels respectively are extremely involved and that they really intend to do well.
Sincerely yours,