“Shocking customer service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #245 of 1,796 hotels in Paris
jensho
“Shocking customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was so excited to stay in this hotel after having stayed last year at the nearby Hotel Crayon which is owned by the same group. Unfortunately the staff at Hotel O have quite a bit to learn about basic customer service.

All was fine until the day I checked out. Our train back to London was at 19:13 in the evening and after having a lengthy discussion with the very pleasant woman at the front desk that morning when we checked out we decided we would come back to the hotel for a 17:00 taxi. She even said "See you at 5pm!" on our way out.

The hotel rung me at 4:30 to tell me my taxi was waiting for me. I explained that I had wanted a taxi at 5pm. That should have been the end of it. But I received a second phone call moments later from the hotel saying that the morning staff had insisted I had booked for 4:30 and when I asked why she was calling me back about to argue about this with me she literally said "Well everyone is saying something different". Is it really important to the hotel's business to ensure that they win an argument with a guest about a taxi? Is that considered good customer service?

When we got back to the hotel - to make matters worse the manager was there - and instead of apologizing to me and smoothing things over - he seemed to also accuse me of having lied to them about really wanting a taxi for 4:30.

After spending 550 euros with them over the weekend I would think they could just let whatever the taxi booking fee they had to pay go. If they are going to argue with a customer about something so trivial what kind of argument would they have say over something more important.

I will certainly not be going back to any of the hotels run by this group if this is really how they think the guests should be treated.

Room Tip: Most of the room's windows face into an air shaft so if you want any kind of sunlight consider b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bruce Z, Directeur général at Hotel O by Elegancia, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Madam,
You are quite right I do manage both the Hotel Crayon and the Hotel O and I was managing the Hotel Crayon when you stayed last year.
I would like you to know that I was extremely sorry to read the way you felt about your stay in your review. Working for this particular group of boutique hotels allows us to propose a unique experience and to be close to our guests and their requests.
It is my duty to make sure that the requests of our guests are being met in the most efficient way. Especially as our hotel has just opened a month ago and we are aiming at getting to a high level of services.
I am very sorry that you said such a "trivial" event took such a proportion.
If we insisted on calling you a second time it is because the taxi was waiting at the hotel and we needed to understand what happened exactly and especially as we are facing numerous demands of this kind and very often our guests tend to be late, or forget the exact time at which they ordered the taxi and sometimes they even forget having ordered one. That is why we are extremely careful and if it is from our side, we do the necessary reorganization for it not to happen again. I was not implying in any way that you were lying to us.
Once again, I am insisting on the fact that the teams of both hotels respectively are extremely involved and that they really intend to do well.
Sincerely yours,
Bruce Ziesler
Hotel Manager

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)

Been to Hotel O by Elegancia? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel O by Elegancia

Address: 19 rue Herold, 75001 Paris, France
Location: France > Ile-de-France > Paris
Bar / Lounge Beverage Selection Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Shuttle Bus service Airport Transportation
#159 Romantic Hotel in Paris
#223 Family Hotel in Paris
Hotel Class:3 star — Hotel O by Elegancia 3*
At the heart of the famous Les Halles district, near the Louvre and the Seine, discover the Hotel O, designed by Ora-Ito and his team. O Hotel is a haven of peace where prevailing welfare and comfort. In the original style of Ora-Ito, the hotel is a harmonious blend of clean lines and soft curves and relaxing. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Jetsetter, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Escapio, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Hotel O by Elegancia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Emeraude Hotel Paris

If you own or manage Hotel O by Elegancia, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.