“Nice business hotel, with huge rooms by Paris standards!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pullman Paris Montparnasse

Save Saved
You added Pullman Paris Montparnasse to your Saves list
Pullman Paris Montparnasse
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Rue du Commandant Rene Mouchotte, 75014 Paris, France (Formerly Le Meridien) (Montparnasse)   |
Ranked #477 of 1,794 hotels in Paris
USA and South Africa
“Nice business hotel, with huge rooms by Paris standards!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights, and were very pleased with our choice. We booked on line and prepaid through a third party, so we did not pay anywhere near full rack rate (paying full rate would have been prohibitively expensive). The staff were always very nice and helpful, and put us in a very nice renovated room (we switched from the first room we were given, as it was right next to the elevators, and we worried it would be noisy), with all the comforts and lots of room to spread out. There are other floors, which are under renovation, but we managed to be away from those and only experienced very minor noise from above, starting in late morning. We had a King size bed (but, although nice and with a pillow top, it sagged terribly), desk, flat screen TV, mini bar, and good-size bathroom. The windows are not huge, but do offer very nice views. The Wifi also worked, although we did not think it would (staff indicated Wifi was only available in lobby areas and on some low floors, but it worked for us in our 6th floor room - 614). The gym is small, but adequate, and with nice views of Paris. We did not partake of b'fast (and did get a sense that it was very busy, as others have reported), but picked up fruits and other things at the grocery store just down the street, and also enjoyed the brasserie (Petit Journal) just next door, for coffee, croissants, etc. The location of this hotel (on busy road, just across from Montparnasse train station) was great for getting around Paris by metro, and the Air France bus from the CDG airport also stops right in front of the train station. We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask to be in a renovated room, non-smoking, away from elevators, and away from construction noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
pullman7012010, Directeur général at Pullman Paris Montparnasse, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear JLiss,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Pullman Paris Montparnasse. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the hotel’s location. Be assured we have forwarded your nice comments to our team.
We are looking forward to welcome you back.
Best regards,

Patrick Arnoult

1,659 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
portland, oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I needed to stay at a hotel in the 6th or 14th arrondissement of Paris during a business trip. The Pullman seemed like a good choice. As others have noted, it's really close to the Gare Montparnasse as well as the Metro system so you can travel into the center of Paris or elsewhere without too much walking.

Applying my standard business-hotel criteria, I was mostly happy with the ability to sleep, get up and get to work without too much trouble. But, for a nicer hotel, I expect a bit more.

What bothered me about this place was the upkeep of the room, which was on the 21st floor. To start, there was no iron in the room (but there was a pants press) so I called housekeeping to get an iron. One of the bedside lamps was cracked right below the light socket, so the shade and lamp rested at a 45 degree angle to vertical. After two nights at the hotel, I'd think that housekeeping would have noted this and replaced the lamp with another. Housekeeping did notice that something was wrong with the bathroom sink and someone decided to remove the sink pop-up drain assembly, laying the pieces on the counter. It's been there for 2 days now.

The shower/tub has a very tall sidewall, requiring something close to a hurdle to get into the shower. (Don't slip on the wet tile, else it will be a painful landing) The Grohe shower assembly has seen better days. The slider adjustment that allows one to move the handle shower up and down is wobbly and in need of replacement. Pieces of the trim are missing. Again, this didn't prevent me from getting ready for work in the morning, but it shows a general lack of attention to detail.

This hotel seems to host a large number of tour groups, so perhaps they expect more bulk sales than individual travelers such as myself. I found the concierge staff to be terse and only moderately helpful, which surprised me as a business traveler. Maybe they thought I was a tourist?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

I was very pleased with the overall value of this hotel, the bed is amongst one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, food was good, everything was better than expected

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

We were recently on a seniors' bus tour staying at the Pullman Montparnasse. It is conveniently located across from the train/metro station, and within walking distance to some nice restaurants.
Everyone on our tour was talking about the high bathtubs, and how difficult they were to get in and out of with no bars to hang on to. And why do the handtowels hang in front of the kleenex box? We were certainly disappointed there was no kettle in the room for coffee. We had a great breakfast the second morning in a lovely part of the restaurant, but very mediocre food the first morning in a different area of the restaurant - they ran out of coffee, then ran out of clean cups.
I have to say the room was clean, and the bed was really good, but the hotel only rates an average in my opinion.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

As one enters the lobby one is transported back to the 60's. Everything is shabby, seats are ripped upholstery is faded and too well used. Definitely business convention oriented. Rooms are average at best. The buffet breakfast is very poor. If you are with a tour you are treated to a second class meal in a second class room at a first class price. We will definitely not stay there the next time we visit this great city.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

I have to say that I was really impressed with the new style room I was allocated at the Pullman Montparnasse. The finish is modern and stylish and most considerations of the modern traveller taken into account. Plug sockets by the bed so that you can use and charge your mobile phone all at once-finally! A couple of tips to fellow travelers & management however:
No electrical socket near a mirror except for shavers - GHDs don't work in this socket - I tried! The hairdryer fitted by the bathroom mirror is more than adequate however. Maybe the hotel need to consider adding a mirror over the desk in the room? There is a large full length mirror in these newly refurbished rooms it's just no where near a socket.
Also management: why not get the maid to list and report faults in the new rooms to keep them looking and functioning well. No lightbulb in one of the bedside lamps-ignored by the maid the whole 5 nights I was there.
Also shower fixture needed tightening as the head kept slipping to waist height. A quick call to maintenance and it was sorted but why should a guest have to report these issues? Poor.
The room generally was spotless, however long dark hairs were found in the bathroom from the previous occupant.

As part of a conference of over 300 delegates I do not expect to be made to feel like an inconvenience for asking the bellman for something as simple as placing gift bags into 3 of my colleagues rooms. Yes the member of staff did carry out my request, however I was made to feel that I should be incredibly grateful for his assistance as it's not normally something he would do. When you're in a hotel on business (especially one spending a lot of money in the hotel) and make a very simple request like this, you don't have time for a lengthy conversation designed to make you feel bad - the correct answer is "certainly, right away". Please learn fom this.

Next up: the infamous breakfast. I must say I only ate breakfast once, today (Friday) and it wasn't the 'scrum' I was expecting. I went down at about 10am and the restaurant was fairly quiet and all food stations well stocked. Two large pots of lukewarm sloppy scrambled eggs were the only thing I really didn't like the look of. A good selection of fresh juices also available.
Fresh fruit and yogurts were good and I was instantly offered a coffee by the same guy who seated me.
The coffee however was placed heavily* (*read slammed) on the table by a surly looking black waitress without so much as a 'voila'. She was also chewing gum and looking distractedly at nothing in the other direction - not exactly four star service! During breakfast I also witnessed this same staff member arguing loudly with what I assume was her supervisor.. she even continued arguing loudly 'with' him even after he'd walked away.
The highlight however was when a different waitress asked two tables, midway through their breakfast to move as their tables were 'closed' so staff could set them up for lunch. She spoke loudly in English and as she did so she ushered them to another part of the restaurant. This was at 10:20am and is wholly unacceptable. The guests in question said they would be making a complaint and I truly hope that they did.

One final tip: two doors down (turn right out of the hotel) is a Franprix mini-mart. They have all the small things you may need for your stay bottled water starts at €1, compared to a laughable €6.50 in the minibar and they also have M&Ms etc if you don't fancy paying €11 for the privilege of having a small jar of them in your room already. Stock up before you check-in to avoid in-room robbery.

This hotel is clearly aimed at coach parties and large conferences so if you're on one of these then make the best of the Pullman Montparnasse as chances are you haven't got much choice - Paris is limited for large capacity hotels. If however you are traveling as a smaller group, and you do have a choice I would strongly advise looking elsewhere.

Time to pull your staff up on their guest service and put your prices down until you do Pullman.

• Stayed May 2012
rajkot
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

stayed for 3 nights when in paris for a conference.
quite far from airport. reasonable central location with eiffel tower nearby. metro station bang opposite.
rooms are jaded. and oh the wait for the lifts-- the maximum at any hotel i have been to.
breakfast was good. food must have been good by french standards but for us vegans not much choice.
the buffet service staff didnt have any knowledge about what was vegetarian and what was not and in fact were quite rude.
no coffee/ tea maker in the rooms and construction noise during the day. they make you read a disclaimer about this!!
not a place i would hurriedly stay in in paris

Room Tip: the view from all lower levels is awful. i was in the 1st floor. maybe a higher eiffel tower facing...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Pullman Paris Montparnasse? Share your experiences!