“Glamour and style and location! Fuctionality - not so much.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Edouard 7
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Avenue de L'Opera, 75002 Paris, France   |
Ranked #184 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Seattle, Washington
“Glamour and style and location! Fuctionality - not so much.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

This was the first opportunity to see the newly renovated Hotel Edward VII since it was acquired by new owners in 2008. Visually, it has been dramatically re-done, with all the glamour and style that one could expect for this fashionable neighborhood in central Paris. The location can't be beat. The staff are all different, but unfailingly friendly and helpful (well, except for the housekeeper who walked into my room late one morning and scolded me for not putting the "service" sign on the door handle to notify her). The room had a few drawbacks in terms of functionality: the small table that was the closest thing to a desk had a lamp and a phone on it - but only one electrical outlet on that wall, so you had to choose, lamp or phone but not both. The "king" bed was two twin beds with separate foundations pushed alongside one another - on the elegant hardwood floor, they quickly slid apart so there was no option to sleep in the middle, only one side or the other. A humorous moment occurred when a printed notice was delivered on Sunday announcing that there would be sirens and emergency drills for staff upcoming on the Monday - and, in English, that the drills would be occurring the preceding Friday! Ah, well, not easy to manage a small hotel! But it's really elegant, if pricey due to the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the small rear street, as the avenue de l'Opera is often noisy.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed at this Hotel in August. The Staff were very friendly and helpful, especially as we had arrived on an early flight from Australia and we were able to access our room in the morning. The Hotel is in a great location, close to restaurants, bus tour of the city and other attractions. The room was lovely, clean and modern, overlooking L'Opera Avenue. The staff made us feel very welcome including the General Manager.Would definately recommend and stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We spent 3 nights at the above hotel, on balance the hotel was well located, the staff were very efficient and helpful, the breakfast adequate. We booked a standard double room and whilst the room itself was a bit on the small side - it was to the front of the hotel, had a nice view from the balcony of the Opera Garnier but the bed was tiny - it was a very small double (around 4 ft wide!!) the first night proved very uncomfortable and the next morning we asked to be moved. Only to be told the hotel was full and this was not possible - so we had to endure another two nights in this tiny bed - I was so glad when I reached the Travelodge in London where the beds are king size.

Room Tip: book a twin room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We went to Paris for Easter with our 6 year old son. We stayed in a "couture" suite which has modern decor, with lots of rich colours and fabrics. Ask for an "Eduourd 7" suite for a more traditional experience. The bedroom was a great size, the living room with sofa bed a bit smaller. We had a full en-suite bathroom and separate WC and shower-room off the entrance hall. Our bed was superking size and very comfortable. Everything in the room was immaculate. We stayed for 3 nights and were not ready to come home. Disappointingly, our room was on a side street with no view of the Opera (which I thought all suites had), but on the plus side we did not experience any noise mentioned by some other reviews.
The hotel's location is brilliant and we walked pretty much everywhere, or at least until 6 year old legs gave out. The Louvre is less than 15 minutes away.
The hotel's website said they welcomed children and we were not disappointed! He had his own pot of hot chocolate each morning at breakfast. We found little gifts, such as macaroons, on returning to our room in the evening, but they surpassed themselves when they left a big easter egg for our son the night before Easter. They even gave him a prettily wrapped bag of sweets when we checked out.
All in all a fantastic place and we'll definitely be going back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

What a delight this hotel was. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite (due to a mix up with our travel agent) and I'm now spoilt for life! The decor was sumptuous and rich, beautiful fabrics & textures - and when I glanced into the 'regular' rooms as they were being serviced I saw that they were decorated to the same high standard. The reception staff & concierge were all delightful & charming with cheery greetings whenever we walked through the hotel. Although we didn't have dinner in the hotel restaurant, the breakfasts were good - the usual breads & pastries, cheeses & cooked meats, fruits & cereals, there was also a hot selection of bacon, scrambled eggs etc, with the best freshly squeezed juices I've ever had! The location is superb, I shan't list all the places within walking distance, just trust me, we didn't need to use the metro at all. We spent three very, very comfortable nights here & I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Chino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights out of a 3 week European vacation and this was absolutely the best hotel we stayed at. The staff was VERY attentive. We had a deluxe room facing the Opera with a balcony on the 4th floor. It was a little noisy, but then again it is on a pretty busy street. The location is great. You can walk to many places and the tour bus stop is nearby. There are many great bistros nearby and the shopping galleries LaFayette and Printemps. If you have a chance, take a tour of the Opera Garnier just up the street. It is fabulous! I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I have had not so pleasant experience with hotels in Paris, and honestly, I was'nt sure about Edouard VII when I made my reservation. But my worries were quickly washed away. I can write so many nice things about this hotel, but almost nothing negative.
The staffs were warm, disciplined, dedicated, and they had pride in taking care of their guests. We stayed in a suite, which was a beautiful room and very very clean.
There was a box of Pierre Herme's macarons waiting for us in the room. We had a balcony with an awesome view of the Opera house.
Eventhough the hotel is located on a very busy street, once you close the windows, it is so quiet that you forget where you are. In the room, I never heard our neighbors, nor voices from the corridor. I believe that the building is classic, but the interiors are updated and very comfortable. Hot water and running water was great, and I liked the bathrobe and luxury slippers. I had wi-fi service in my room and was walking around with my IPAD. I stayed for 6 nights, and my first 2 nights were on business, followed by a vacation welcoming my mother and daughter. Edouard VII is a great hotel for both business and holiday purposes. The location is so convenient. You can walk to Louvre museum, to rue St. Honore where the luxury boutiques are, and to Gallerie Lafayette and Printemps. Its also walking distance to Concorde, Vendome, and Champ Elysees.
Metro station is just minutes away, and you have easy access to two stations, Pyramides and Opera. Our accomadation came with breakfast, so we ate at the dining room every morning. The buffet were same, but it tasted great and we never got tired. We could have had breakfast in our room, but we preferred to enjoy the nice ambience of the dining room downstairs. If you are searching to find a nice hotel in Paris that will make your trip most enjoyable and relaxing, I would definitely recommend Edouard VII.
I have met with the general manager who is a beautiful and wonderful lady, and I could tell that fine hotels depend on the GM greatly. The only downside is the fitness room which was very small. If you need a swimming pool and hyper fitness facilities, then you may find it lacking. I myself often choose hotels with great fitness facilities, but not this time. At Edouard VII, its not an issue at all. Edouard VII is the hotel that won't let you down, and that will make your stay in Paris a memorable experience! It surely will continue to be my home away from home.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Edouard 7? Share your experiences!