“Modern, Clean, Convenient etc.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Paris-Gare de L'Est

You added Holiday Inn Paris-Gare de L'Est to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Paris-Gare de L'Est
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Rue du 8 mai 45 | 10 Arr., 75010 Paris, France (Chateau d'Eau / Gare du Nord)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #856 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Waynesboro, Virginia
“Modern, Clean, Convenient etc.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Reading reviews is tough - after we booked this hotel we started reading the reviews and didn't feel that comfortable with our choice, but I have to say I was very impressed indeed.

The hotel is so easy to get to being right next to an underpass connecting to Gare de l'Est which is one stop from Gare de Nord which has a direct RER link to Charles de Gaule airport.

Once inside the hotel is very modern and clean with a waiting room / lounge area, reception, bar and two elevators. The hotel is on eight floors. Our room was on the eighth floor meaning it had a smallish window so get one through six if you can.

The room itself was small but very well appointed featuring TV with pay per view movies and internet. On regular TV there were only two English speaking channels which were constant, repetitive news which was a shame. In addition to this was a very comfortable, memory foam bed, telephone, tea and coffee making facilities, closet, desk and bathroom which again was modern and super clean.

My wife and I read reviews of the area being dodgey at night but we saw nothing of it. To be perfectly honest I got the impression it was super safe as there were always young, single girls walking around all the time.

There are two highly recommended hotels that we tried within easy walking distance of the hotel. One is directly below and is called Strasbourgois. This serves Alsation food and has menus in both French and English although the English one does cause come fits of laughter due to some tenuous translations. The other is Les Enfants Perdus which is on 9 Rue de Recollets which is between the hotel and the canal. This does not support much English and is French cuisine but was really, really good. Both are pricey for Americans due to the exchange rate but well worth a look. (Appetizer from 10E and Entre from 18E).

The canal is well worth taking a stroll along.

All in all a great hotel in a great location with easy links to anywhere in Paris.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

Comfortable clean, etc. Hairdryer & electric kettle in room. Expensive internet but there is an Internet shop around the corner.
I could hear the trains when I was in bed but I used earplugs & slept well.

St Lawrence Catholic Church a block away has wonderful 11 am mass on Sunday.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

Great location of the hotel, all amenities, great comfort, will definitely stay again.

Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

I stayed several times in this hotel, and every time I have been disapointed...
I have decided to never stay in this hotel again.
The quality of service is so bad... as a platinum member i have been in many holiday inn in Europe, Middle East and Asia, and this is the worst i have ever seen !
I have never been treated like that.
The rooms are so small and the internet connection is really expensive !
For the breafast you don't have a lot of choices, and the employee are not very friendly.

You can easily find better, cheaper hotels in Paris with a bigger room and a good quality of service...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
EHL75010, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Paris-Gare de L'Est, responded to this review, May 17, 2010
Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for your comments and for the fact that you have been a regular guest in our hotel. I am surprised to read that despite the fact that your experience was bad during each of your stay you have decided to come back several times. I would have been pleased to help you to settle your problems at your first stay in order to avoid any issues for your coming stays. As the Hotel Manager, please feel free t o contact me if you wish to come back and I'll be sure that you leave the hotel that time with a good impression.

Very best regards,

Loic Legrand
Hotel Manager
yorkshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

My husband & I stayed here for 3 nights over the April/May bank holiday and it definitely suited all our needs. Check-in was prompt and efficient and staff courteous, helpful, friendly & polite at all times. We were allocated room 603 (on the priority club member floor) with a delightful balcony overlooking the beautiful Gare De L'est railway station. The room was a little on the small side as expected of Paris hotels but certainly not cramped and was very clean with enough room for our clothes etc. although we could have done with a drawer each either side of the double bed for our "smalls" but this was not an issue. The furniture was lovely, the room decorated very stylishly and the double bed was extremely comfy. We had a full bathroom suite with deep bath & power shower with plenty of towels and space for our toiletries etc. At night it as very quiet as we were quite high up and never once heard anyone pass our room. Just outside the hotel was the metro, across the road was the train station as mentioned and the bus stop another hop across the street so perfect for transport options to any part of the city. Breakfast was the usual plentiful fare of continental as well as the hot options of scrambled eggs, sausage and a kind of tasty meatball patties. The breakfast room was well staffed and the tables were constantly cleaned and cleared, and food replenished as and when required. Drinks in the bar were generally pricey as expected but if you wanted a bottle of wine there was a "takeaway" deal to your room for 2 glass & a bottle for 10 euros - very reasonable (although we bought bottles to bring in ourselves a few times for about 5 euros from a local supermarket). There were plenty of bars and restaurants around the hotel and for a station location it felt generally safe, even late at night. Many bars had happy hours and restaurants had set meal offers so eating and drinking out could be kept to a reasonable level for those of us on a budget. Paris is a fabulous city and I would definitely return again to this hotel and would highly recommend to family & friends alike.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I have stayed at several hotes in Paris in this price range (othe holiday inns included) that were all dumps. I was quite pleased with the hotel, clean and comfortable. Great location to the metro and Paris Nord train station. Staff was helpful and nice. Will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Haltom City, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I have stayed in at least 50 Holiday Inns in the past 3 years due to business travel, I chose this hotel for our 4 day stay in Paris for vacation. I always book with Holiday Inn because I feel the quality and service are consistent for all of their hotels. Of all my stays this was easily the worst. I must add I have never complained about Holiday Inn Corporate until now.

We arrived on April 29th which was a beautiful day in Paris. The lobby and bar was rediculously stuffy and I heard many people complaining about the heat in the hotel. While we were checking in, the Manager on Duty even complained about the heat. Once we arrived in Room 615 the room was equally hot and small (the size was expected). We eventually called down to the desk about the heat and were told "We are not activating the Air Conditioning until next week, sorry..." It is obvious the hotel did not care about taking care of their guests, but wanted to save a few bucks. Every time we got back to the hotel room we opened the window and opened the door to get fresh air. My wife and I did not sleep well the first two nights because of the heat. It was easily 80 degrees in the room both nights.

Room 615 is very small (expected in Paris). Taking a shower was rather rediculous due to the shape and size of the bathtub, Im 5'10" with average build and I had to keep me feet together and lean over and bend down for the shower. Not to mention the mildew and peeling paint in the shower. Internet is 18.00 euros a day and the average breakfast is 15.00 euro per person, definitely high-priced.

Overall I feel like we were not treated well at this hotel and I am certain you can get a better value and another hotel in Paris.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Paris-Gare de L'Est? Share your experiences!