“Fabulous location and hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel Sydney Opera

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Hotel Sydney Opera to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hotel Sydney Opera
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Rue des Mathurins | 8th Arr., 75008 Paris, France (Champs-Élysées)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #149 of 1,793 hotels in Paris
DC
“Fabulous location and hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights and were very pleased. As Paris hotels go, we were afraid we were booking a closet sized room. Instead, our room was spacious for the two of us and our luggage. The bathroom was spacious with a shower that had a door (instead of a shower curtain). Breakfast was healthy and plentiful. The hotel staff are very pleasant and spoke English well. The location can't get better - walking distance from the Madeline station, Printemps, Galleries Lafayette, Place de la Concorde and more. If you are a walker you can walk to all the major sights from here. Restaurants are in abundance within walking distance. The hotel is situated on a relatively quiet street near a bustling part of town. We took the hotel van to CDG - very convenient!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AMGerbault, Directeur général at BEST WESTERN Hotel Sydney Opera, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you so much for your nice comment.
All the staff and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us !
We hope to see you again in France, don’t hesitate to contact us if you need any kind of information
Sincerely

320 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Hotel is quite small but has nice rooms. My window was overlooking the street but it was quiet and no noice whatsoever. Good mirrows but safety box would have needed 50€ deposit!
Breakfast was very French, quite good actually but not so abundant. Location being so good next to the shopping streets and big department stores as well as metro stations, this makes it a very good choice both for business and leisure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
AMGerbault, Directeur général at BEST WESTERN Hotel Sydney Opera, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hello from Paris! We are happy you enjoy your stay. Your right, our breakfast is a “French” one, we find there obviously croissant, pain au chocolat, home cakes(prepared each day), fresh fruit and other things like yoghurts, cheeses, ham, salami, boiled eggs… and of course the cereals. We would be glad to welcome you during your next visit in Paris!
Anne, réception
SAN DIEGO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I currently in the hotel departing tomorrow and we have had a pleasant stay. Daisy is very nice and always friendly and helpful. Pretty central location and very close to the L'Open bus tour which we used. The breakfast has a lot of variety and everything looks fresh. There is an English speaking pub right across the street which is really convenient. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
That’s an enjoyment to learn your comment. Daisie is really delighted to realize that you had a nice stay in our hotel. “l’Open tour Bus” is a gool deal your right! We are looking forward to welcoming you another time…
Anne, réception
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The location of this hotel is phenomenal if you love to shop! Paris is a confusing city to navigate (even with a map) but as long as you ask the locals "can you tell me where Printemps or Galeries Lafayette is?" you will always be able to find your way back to the hotel! The personnel at the front desk were nice, the room was nice, the shower was powerful (just remember to put two towels on the floor to mop up the water that spills out the shower door ... even with the glass doors, water still escapes and huge puddles will form if you don't have the towels on the floor). There's a safety deposit box in the rooms, but you have to leave 50 euros at the front desk before they'll give you the key to it (you get the 50 euros back when you return the key at check-out ... I suggest you use this to put your passports and extra money in there). The bed was comfortable, the breakfast buffet was good (3 types of fresh juice, cold cuts, cheese, hard boiled eggs, 3 types of bread, toaster, yogurt, pastries, jams, fruit, fruit cups, melba toast, babel cheese, coffee, tea, hot chocolate). Cafes are expensive in Paris, so I suggest that you gorge yourself at breakfast. so that you're not hungry at noon and then have an early dinner (4 or 4:30pm) and perhaps have a snack at 8'ish or so. When you get to the room, there's a little box of complimentary chocolates for you (courtesy of the manager) to welcome you to the hotel, which is a thoughtful gesture on management's part.

We paid 228 euro a night (free breakfast included), which is about $300 US. That's more than what I'm used to paying for a hotel room, but apparently, this is a bargain rate for the location and type of room in Paris. The location is like Times Square in Manhattan or Yonge/Bloor in Toronto. I wanted a hotel in a safe location, one that was clean and with a powerful shower (not just a tub) and this hotel fit the bill perfectly.

I would 100% stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it to anyone who has high standards and wants a hotel similar to what you would find in North America (albeit a pricey one).

Check the thermostat before you go to bed though. We thought the room was FREEZING at night (even though the thermostat said 32 degrees celcius (90 degrees fahrenheit), it sure didn't feel like it). If the thermostat shows a picture of a snowflake on it, you're going to be shivering all night!

Best Western Hotel Sydney Opera ... I miss you already and once I save up enough money, I'll return to you soon!

Room Tip: We were a little disappointed at first of the view from our hotel window. We wanted a view of the m...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
AMGerbault, Directeur général at BEST WESTERN Hotel Sydney Opera, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you so much for your comment ! All the staff and I are pleased you enjoyed your time with us in Sydney Opéra !
I understood than Galeries Lafayette and Le Printemps were your check point !!!
We hope to welcome you again in Paris,
With our Best Regards,
Seville, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a great hotel, especially for the price paid. The location is fantastic for seeing Paris, 5 minutes to 3 different metro stations and 5 minutes walk to Gallerie Lafayette, L'Opera and lots of restaurants & shops. I have to admit that I personally enjoyed my stay in The Marais area a bit more 2 years ago but if you are in Paris for a quick visit, you cant go wrong with this hotel.

I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room and the bathroom given the location & the price. The staff were all lovelytoo. I didnt have breakfast there so cant comment on this but it is close to a Pauls so I didnt need to, there is also a starbucks a few minutes away if you are that way inclined.

My only criticism of the hotel is the walls are ridiculously thin so you hear every door open and close & every word spoken. I was woken a few times by people coming home and closing their hotel door. I read about it in other reviews but I didnt realise how bad it would be. I am a very light sleeper though so it may not bother everyone. I have to say I didnt hear a sound from outside the hotel though.

All in all I highly recommend this hotel, just bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
AMGerbault, Directeur général at BEST WESTERN Hotel Sydney Opera, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you very much for your very nice comment.
We are very aware of the problem of sound damping in buildings as ours, style Napoleon 3.
In spite of the various renovations which we made, it’s the problem which we do not manage to solve, we are sincerely sorry about it.
By hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you again in Paris and to give you a better experience, we wish you good October !!!
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Very clean, comfortahle room, very good breakfast available. Handy to most popular sites. Our room was on the main street so some traffic noise and late noise from the restaurant across the street. Maybe ask for a room not Mathurins St.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with hotelsgrandparis.com

AMGerbault, Directeur général at BEST WESTERN Hotel Sydney Opera, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for your comment ! We hope to see you again in Paris,
Kind regards
Anne-Marie

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Sydney Opera? Share your experiences!