“Absolutely terrific” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Toronto, Canada
“Absolutely terrific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a very special hotel. The location is central as we were able to walk to the Arc de Triomphe and take cabs elsewhere at a decent price. The hotel itself is like a movie setting. It was the former residence of the President of France and still holds the grandeur and elegance of a fine chateau.Service was superb. My wife and I stayed there for 6 nights. Our dinner in the restaurant was the best that we had in Paris....and we ate at some darn good restaurants in town. Service was fabulous. The staff and concierge go out of their way to assist you and make you at home. Our room was splendidly decorated. We really couldn't have asked for more. We wouldn't stay anywhere else on our return to Pari.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
YvesMonnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much to your wife and you for choosing to stay with us and for this extremely kind review. We are truly glad you liked the décor of our little chateau, the cuisine by Virginie Basselot and the service of our teams. We all look forward to welcoming you back and to becoming your home in Paris.

Yves Monnin, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel pokes fun at is aristocratic heritage, think of Phillipe Starck's ghost chair, but there is nothing stark about this decor with its lush but comfortable OTT neoclassical, trump l'oeil whimsy. I especially loved the carpet woven to look like a parquetry floor. Tucked away in the smart 16th e, it is away from traffic and tourist, but very close to the metro. I enjoyed the bird song and mixing it up with the locals in the neighborhood restaurants, especially La Stella, when I could drag myself away from the excellent dinning room at my new home, that is. The people (and Pilu the cat) make the place of course. Charming and obliging. The place works well, but not perfectly, and somehow that adds to the charm. This is one hell of a good hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ms E.,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
We are all delighted to read that our home, its décor, our cuisine and services met your expectations. We work daily to create a truly homey atmosphere to each of our guests, so your calling us your "new home" is a great reward. We look forward to your next visit with the hope that you will find our services both perfect and charming.

Rennes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My stay at your the Saint James was absolutely incredible. The staff from check in to the restaurant made me feel at home and made the Chateau feel like my own private retreat. The suite and amenities as well as the gym and spa were as luxurious as promised and I will definitely be returning on my next trip to Paris. Having stayed at various places in the city I can say without a doubt that my stay at the Saint James was the best, and will likely be my go to spot for all future trips to Paris. Upon check in we were upgraded to a suite with no prior mention of this option which only made the stay even greater.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr K.,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for this very kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and felt at home at the Saint James Paris. Be sure it will be our pleasure to serve you again in your own private Parisian retreat.

Woodland, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. I only spent a few hours there as a jet-lagged traveler. I had a Garden room which is basically in the basement but was decorated in painted leaves. Awesome water pressure but no door on the shower, so it spilled all over the floor. Huge and bulky room key so leave it at the desk. The gym or fitness room had plenty of equipment, primarily with French directions. Be prepared to know the metric system. The hair dryer was large but you had to hold the button to keep it on

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for this kind review. We hope to welcome you back soon for a longer stay and will be happy to put the directions of our fitness equipment in English for you.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was referred to the Saint James by a good friend and savvy traveler, as a the perfect place to stay for my recent Father/Daughter trip to Paris. Even before we arrived, I was very pleased with the responsiveness of Yves (the General Manager) and Christian (the Chief Concierge). In fact, everyone at the Saint James was incredibly helpful and welcoming, and certainly made my Daughter feel very special. Our room was very clean, comfortable and fun - spread over several levels and decorated in an eclectic and charming way that delighted both of us. The neighborhood was clean and safe, and we often walked from the Saint James to great restaurants and shopping, and many of the major attractions of Paris are within walking distance as well. Next time I see my friend who referred me to the Saint James, dinner is on me!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
YvesMonnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Mr B .,

Thank you so much for this extremely kind review. My entire staff and I all aim at making each of our guests feel special and are especially glad to read that your daughter and you felt this way during your time with us. Please kindly thank your friend on my behalf for the referral.

Looking forward to welcoming you all back soon,
Yves
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

We were on a trip for 24 hours to Paris from London and the Saint James Hotel was more then we could have expected. We had a really nice evening and Pascal, Yvee, Christian, and Geraldine were all so helpful in directing us around the city. Little did we know this was just the beginning of their hospitality. The following morning we had some immigration issues and were not allowed back in the U. K. and this was the only place we knew to come. They were all welcoming and went out of their way to assist us with anything we needed and sincerely give us all they could. We were so overwhelmed at this time and it was so wonderful to feel like people really cared. The breakfast and croque Monsieur are very delicious and the accomodations are comfortable and clean. You are within walking distance to the arc d triumph and Eiefel Tower. We are so overly thankful to all of the staff that made these couple of days so wonderful. If you even have one doubt about choosing this hotel, don't think twice! You will be very happy with this choice! Thank you all!

• Stayed April 2013
YvesMonnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for this heartwarming review. We are all very pleased to read that you felt well taken care of with us in spite of the immigration issue you had to face. We believe that nothing is out of our way to assist guests who choose our little château and hope to have the pleasure of becoming your home in Paris.

Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

What an oddly decorated hotel. The entrance was grand when we turned into the gates. As soon as we stepped inside, the very odd décor was striking. It's a shame, this place has the potential to be a beautiful, classic hotel but the décor was really a distraction. The location was a bit remote also, in a neighborhood, a bit of a way to the tourist attractions. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, really, they could not have been nicer. We were escorted to our room , down a black and white hallway to a red door. Even the room was a bit odd with a "garden" entrance and a downstairs room, a hidden door with a secret bathroom and another bedroom. At night there were cricks and creaks and quite frankly, my girls were afraid to sleep in their room. We all ended up huddled into one bed. The girls asked if it was a haunted house with secret rooms? None of us slept well the first night.
The rooms were clean. Our suite was spacious. The breakfast was nice. The Library was beautiful. I would really like to compliment the staff. It's just that I found the décor to me a major distraction and the children found it to be creepy. I was a bit disappointed given the reviews I read before we went. I really wanted our last few nights in Paris to be special, instead we felt disappointed and quite afraid.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mrs D.,

Thank you for this review in which you kindly distinguish the service provided by our team as well as the size and cleanliness of our rooms, the breakfast and the library-bar. On the other hand I am really sorry to read that the décor imagined by Bambi Sloan for our house in line with the history and era of the building was not to your liking. At the Saint James Paris, each room is different and we would have been pleased to offer you another one had you informed us of the fact that you and your daughters did not feel comfortable in yours.
I am convinced we would find the perfect fit for you should you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Yves Monnin, General Manager

Been to Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux? Share your experiences!