“Formidable!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Tetbury, United Kingdom
“Formidable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Quel surprise! An extraordinary hotel slightly out of the way but well worth the detour. Striking decor throughout, delicious food and very attentive staff. What more could one want? We will definitely return.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
YvesMonnin, General Manager at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for this very enthusiastic review! We all look forward to welcoming you back soon and to become your Paris hideway, just off the boutiques and restaurants on Victor Hugo Avenue.

Yves Monnin, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Indonesian first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

In late October 2012 with exchange privileges from another club, we enjoyed an outstanding lunch at the Saint James Club and Hotel. The luncheon meal was one of the most outstanding that we enjoyed while in Paris for a week. The delicate tastes and paired wines were delightful, along with the breads and other items of the meal.

With each visit to Paris which is almost annual, one of our first bookings is for a meal at the Saint James Club and Hotel for we thoroughly enjoy the excellent food, service, beauty, and ambience of the handsome hotel.

On our next visit to Paris, we need to plan to stay in the hotel.
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: A meal in the dining room, or drink in the Library Bar, are some of the delights of Paris!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

Thank you very much for this very kind review. We are glad to read that you enjoyed the cuisine of our Chef, Virginie Basselot, during lunch at the Saint James Paris. The access to the property is indeed restricted to hotel guests and club members -including members of clubs with whom we have reciprocity agreements- daily until 7:00pm.

Please contact us when you visit Paris next, it will be our pleasure to host you in one of our 49 individually decorated -and especially spacious- rooms and suites.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Being the jaded (and admittedly spoiled) business traveller that I am, you would be hard stretched to find a hotel that takes my breath away upon arrival. Saint James Paris is one of them - I think the taxi driver even heard me gasp in awe. An evening arrival is recommended: the water fountain prefacing a dramatically lit freestanding chateau in the 16th is quite a sight to be seen.

The style is whimsical, eccentric, French, British, and Alice-in-Wonderland all at the same time. The hot air balloon theme is tastefully present throughout the hotel. If your room is on one of the higher floors, let the staff take you and your luggage to your room via the elevator, but use the stairs at all the other times: the atrium is one of the most dream-like you'll encounter.

I ate at both the formal restaurant and the bar and in both the food was very good. Neither are meals that I will distinguish from other nice business meals, but the friendliness of the staff is notable in what could be a snooty place.

They upgraded me to a suite, and it was grand yet homey.

I would have given this property at '5' rating, but not unlike the city in which it resides, some things are a bit off. The lighting is a bit too harsh - a common Paris phenomenon. The staff was very helpful but off-cue... for example, their advice regarding taxis, timeliness in requests, etc. Paris is a negative in all of this -- if the property were in London I think I would have enjoyed it much more. All-in-all, a wonderful property and I plan on returning if work travels lead me to Paris again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to post this kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the hope that, even if we are not located in London, you will grant us a ‘5’ next time!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel was the highlight of our trip. Its like a sensory overload. Its all about fabrics, texture and patterns every where you turn! You get an old fashion key to your room on a cute tassel, no plastic room keys here! The large chandelier on chandelier coming down from the roof is stunning as is the cute monkey and hot air balloon wall paper going all the way up the stairs (yes there are lifts too).

My room was made for me, black and white wall fabric that was padded, chrome and glass and little baby wigs on the walls (its cute trust me). I had a view looking out the front and window that opened so I could hear the fountain out the front. Nice big bathroom, double sink and shower/bath and heaps of storage!

My parents room was red tartan and leopard print, it was a corner room that had a view of the front fountain. The bathroom was huge with a stand alone claw foot tub. Heaps of storage again.
Hot tip get in early for the bar down stairs for a drink, lots of people come here for a drink after work and for meetings during the day so you might find yourself with nowhere to sit in the bar come old fashion library. Summer time must be great as there are fake hot air balloons that you can sit in.

Dinner in the hotel is very fancy and very expensive a must try one night. Breakfast on the other hand was so so. The basket of pastries you get on the table is endless and what I mean by that is you have 3 and a ladt comes and takes away the basket and replaces it with a new one, never mid that there was still half a dozen goodies left. The hot breakfast want to my liking the scrambled eggs looked a little grey for me.

Its just a short walk to the metro and once you master that you can go anywhere!
Over all this hotel is an amazing hotel if you are lucky enough to stay here!!!!

Room Tip: a view over looking the front fountain. ask not to be on the ground floor near the bar, it could get...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
YvesMonnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Emmzie,

Thank you very much to you and your parents for choosing to stay in our little château, and thank you for the review! We are all glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Please visit again in summer, we will make sure to have a table ready for you either under the balloons or in the library-bar!

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Dear Mr. Monnin,

To start with I would like to congratulate you on this beautiful artistic and gorgeous hotel that you are managing and running.

I had a wonderful time during my stay there and was very impressed with the super excellent service that overwhelmed me when I was there.

First of all I would like to thank you for the upgrade that I have received when I was there and the room 406 is one of the prettiest rooms I have ever stayed in in any hotel in the world. It was unique, beautiful and full of charm.

I was hoping that I could have a drink in your charming garden but unfortunately the weather did not help

The staff that you have in the hotel are extremely helpful and friendly. Your head concierge was very helpful in choosing great restaurants for me when I was staying there, he was very helpful in all aspects, and I would congratulate you in having him as your head concierge . I have stayed in many five stars hotels all over the world whether for business or pleasure and I can assure you that your head concierge is one of the best if not the best.

I would also like to be very thankful for the lady who is in charge of your restaurant, she was very friendly and very informative and on the last day while staying in your prestigious hotel I had brunch there and she had chosen a beautiful table for me and my wife and the food was out of this world, it was the perfect brunch. Unfortunately I did not have the chance to have dinner or lunch there because of the short time I spent there but I promise you during my next rip to Paris i will make sure i will have dinner there, I would not want to miss the great food and service that you have in your restaurant .

Mr. Monnin, I have stayed in many hotels all over the world and some of them are one of the top in the world but what really distinguished your hotel from others is the high quality of service and friendliness of your staff even the reception staff were very friendly and pleasant. My stay at your hotel made me feel at home away from home. At the end of the day it is the service that clients are always looking for.

I can tell you you have won me as a loyal customer in your hotel and I assure you that during my next trip to Paris I will stay in no other hotel but The Saint james Paris.

Again I would like too thank you and your charming staff for making my stay in Paris very pleasant and comfortable.

Best Regards

Rami Kuwatly

Room Tip: Room 406 is a piece of art, spacious, wonderfully decorated, overlooking the front fountain and the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
YvesMonnin, Directeur général at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Mr Kuwatly,

On behalf of our entire team, I thank you very much for taking the time to post this wonderful review. Day by day we focus on creating a homey atmosphere for our guests in providing an altogether friendly, personalized and professional service to match with the cosy décor of our rooms and suites. Receiving feedbacks like yours is highly motivating for all of us, once again thank you very much. We all look forward to welcoming you back regularly to your Paris home!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Saint James is everything you want and more. The hotel itself was beautiful and the staff could not have been more helpful. The hotel is in an excellent area and is within walking distance of all the major hotspots. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Room 301 was awesome. It is beautifully decorated and overlooks the courtyard.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
YvesMonnin, General Manager at Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for this extremely kind review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay in the Chinese room (Junior Suite 301) and look forward to welcoming you back often in the future.

London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Oh my goodness this is the hotel of my dreams! I had the pleasure of staying here (November 2-4th) for a weekend with a friend of mine and it is utterly bewitching and beautiful.

Nothing is too much trouble for the wonderfully friendly staff and our upgrade to a junior suite left me open mouthed. The decor is eclectic and yet stunningly chic! Our room- Suite 309 had palest blue silk walks and cheetah print carpet with a beautiful lobby, a bathroom with mirrored doors and a totally art deco vibe. The bathroom had a huge fabulous slipper bath, twin sinks and a huge walk in shower with oodles of deliciously scented amber and orange Lanvin toiletries. Huge French doors complete with silk covered shutters provided the perfect French vista over the glorious gardens and with balconies still full of flowering geraniums- I can only imagine how fantastic this place is in the summer! Little touches like refurbished antique chairs and light switch covers to match the carpet and wall coverings show that every single little detail has been thought through. I was enchanted and mesmerised just looking around our room!

Angelina chocolates left on the bed with a nightly turn down service and a spa that offered very reasonably priced treatments (a hot monoi oil and coconut scrub was divine!) just added to our fantastic stay.

I have been recommending this hotel to all my friends now who were watching my facebook updates with unhidden envy! The hotel has free wifi which is fantastic and each room has a lovely coffeemaker complete with coffee pods. Restaurants and shops are close by and this is in such an upscale neighbourhood that you will not ever feel unsafe walking round at night.

I will never choose another hotel when I come to Paris...the St James is undoubtedly the best place to stay! Bravo!

Room Tip: Junior Suite are stunning- each room is individually designed so I can only imagine the delights tha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Madam,

I would like to thank you and your girlfriend for choosing our crazy-chic little chateau for your stay in Paris, and for this exceptional review! It has been a real pleasure for all of us here to read your wonderful feedback about our house and the special sense of service we do our best to develop. You described the atmosphere of La Grande Castaing (Junior Suite 309) and Bambi Sloan’s sense of detail better than pictures sometimes do!
We select our partners with great care and are glad that the Angelina chocolates, Lanvin toiletries and Gemology treatments at the spa were up to your expectations.
We all look forward to welcoming you back soon to the hotel of your dreams and will always be at your disposal to make them come true.

Yves Monnin, General Manager

Been to Saint James Paris - Relais et Chateaux? Share your experiences!