“Great location, sweet little hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Agora Saint Germain

You added Agora Saint Germain to your Saves list
Agora Saint Germain
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   42, rue des Bernardins | 5th Arr., 75005 Paris, France (Panthéon)   |
Ranked #433 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great location, sweet little hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of November 2013. Two couples, one couple in their 30s the other in their 50s. We all loved the hotel. Yes the rooms are small but they have everything you need, absolutely spotless, bathroom bright and clean with good toiletries supplied. The location is great. A short walk to many sites including the Latin Quater with all its bars and restaurants. Can't comment on the breakfast as we didn't bother with it as we were so near some great restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We love staying in the 5th and wanted a centrally located but affordable place to stay for four nights. After much looking, we settled on the Agora Saint Germain and we're glad we did. We booked a superior room and had a lovely room on the sixth floor with a great view of the church. While a bit worried about the bells from the church, we were relieved when they stopped ringing after 10 p.m. As others have said, the staff are very friendly, competent and helpful. Always felt welcomed. The breakfast is great -- hard boiled eggs, cold cuts, cheeses, juice, fresh bread and croissants, and steaming hot coffee. Plus the woman who serves breakfast is charming and good at her job. The rooms are small by American standards, but they're comfy and have everything you need, including a small fridge. There's a nice supermarket around the corner where you can stock up on cheese, chocolate and sandwiches, which are great to have in the room after a long day of walking. Would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, we had 607 and it was quiet and had a nice view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were looking for something in the center of things and yet still affordable, and the Agora Saint Germain really fit the bill. The rooms were clean and Paris-sized, the breakfast decent and the beds average. A really great place to use as our home base while we spent eight days in Paris

We had an issue with the airline, our baggage was lost, and the receptionist at the hotel was wonderful, calling the airline and pushing them to come up with a timeline to deliver the bags. I'm confident that we would have spent a lot more time luggage-less had it not been for the staff at Agora St Germain!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

When I book a deluxe room I expect to get a deluxe room but according to the staff at this hotel I should only expect to get what I pay for if I book direct with them and have paid their full listed price.

When we arrived it was late and we were tired. The room was a little disappointing given that for our special weekend in Paris we had selected and paid a premium for the best the hotel had to offer but I just assumed this was indeed one of their best rooms. We have stayed in Paris many times and I know that 3 star Paris hotels are often fitted into the existing structural fabric of the town and the rooms can be a little on the small side. More fool me for being so forgiving and I now know I need to be more vigilant in checking what we have booked against what we are given.

Two days later, when we had finished checking out and settling our bill, I glanced at a price list on the wall which listed the different rooms and their grades and I suddenly realised that our room had not been the deluxe room we had ordered and paid for, and as was clearly indicated on the Eurostar package booking that we had used to check in, but was a lesser quality room. We had unknowingly been downgraded and no-one had said a thing to us or offered us anything in terms of explanation, apology or even a refund of the difference in price.

When I pointed this out to the lady who had handled our checkout, she clearly thought I was making a fuss over nothing. She firstly tried to fob me off by saying there is absolutely no difference between their deluxe rooms and the room we had (not true as I now know they are bigger, corner rooms with better views and a balcony). She also pointed out that I was clearly happy with the room because I had not complained before. Finally, to my astonishment, she explained that because we had booked a package through Eurostar we had paid less than the full listed rate so we should just be happy with what we got.

I should add that as far as I was aware, this was not a particularly discounted deal. I am sure Eurostar gets a preferential rate and can believe we paid (and would expect to pay) less than the full off-the-street rate but I did not know this meant we were going to be treated as discount shoppers who don't deserve any better.

For completeness I should say that she was very polite in dealing with our complaint and she did eventually apologise, not because we had been downgraded, but because no-one had mentioned the downgrade when we booked in. In fact she offered us the princely sum of 10 whole euros to make up for it. The thing that still astonishes me is that she clearly believed she was in the right and that she was entitled to sell our room on, downgrade us, and (as long as we didn't notice) keep the full amount we prepaid.

In summary, as far as this hotel is concerned, a booking is not a booking as I understood it to be and if you turn up and they have sold your room to someone else, well that's just tough - unless you paid top price you are a lower class customer and shouldn't expect any better.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Booked online for a long weekend in Paris after reading good reviews. Ideal location for exploring Paris, on a quite side street but within easy walking distance of many of the main attractions, and close to the Metro and RER. Room clean, warm and comfortable. Staff very friendly and helpful, and also speak good English. Receptionist was particularly helpful in helping sort out a problem we had regarding our return transfer to the airport. Continental breakfast buffet had good quality bread, croissants, pain au chocolate etc as well as cheese and cooked meats. Tiny lift only takes 2-3 people at a time, and creaks a bit, but serves its purpose. We would certainly return.

Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

After searching for months for a reasonably priced hotel on the left bank, I decided on the Agora Saint Germain due to its location and good reviews. We were not disappointed. The location is excellent - a 5 minute walk from Notre Dame and 2 minutes for the Boulevard Saint Germain. However it is still on a quiet street away from all the noise and hubbub which makes it the ideal resting place. We had a deal for 5 nights bed and breakfast and the breakfast was excellent - pastries, bread and jam, ham and cheese, juice, fresh tea and coffee, everything you could want in Paris. The breakfast staff and hotel staff in general were very friendly and helpful. The room, whilst small, was spotless and we had a lovely balcony looking out on to the street. I would definitely recommend getting the Superior room (which we had) or better as I'd imagine the others being pretty small. The superior room also had tea and coffee making facilities and a safe which was very helpful. Even more importantly, the bed was extremely comfortable, particularly the pillows and we both slept like logs! All in all, excellent value for money for such a lovely neighbourhood with a great location, near all of the sites.

Room Tip: Eric Kayser patisserie just round the corner - delicious!
Stamford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Spent ages trying to decide where to stay for 3 nights early November and with so much to choose from, we felt quite lucky with our selection. Reasonable rates for central location (we paid £90 per night per room approx.) and the hotel was nicely situated 5 mins walk to the Seine, and Notre Dame, up a relatively quiet side street a short walk to shops, restaurants, market, and some bigger stores. Close to a couple of Metro stations, so very convenient, but less manic on this side of the River. As it turned out we had a pub showing Sky Sports nearby and a seriously good record/cd/dvd store round the corner so I was in heaven.

The room was small, but the bed was a good size and the bathroom sparkling with a small bath / shower and newly tiled floor. I really appreciated a soak after a long day tramping the streets!

The staff were marvellous - so helpful, and despite finding out they had made an error charging us for a breakfast we never had, they rectified this immediately on my return to the UK.

Room Tip: We faced the street and there was some noise from people and bells, but it was generally still quie...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Agora Saint Germain? Share your experiences!