“Great Hotel in the Heart of the Paris Latin Quarter” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Abbatial Saint Germain

You added Hotel Abbatial Saint Germain to your Saves list
Hotel Abbatial Saint Germain
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   46 blvd Saint Germain | 5th Arr., 75005 Paris, France (Panthéon)   |
Ranked #453 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Jacksonville
“Great Hotel in the Heart of the Paris Latin Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We were so delighted with our recent stay at the Hotel Abbatial Saint Germain. We booked two rooms for my husband and me and our two teenage children. Our rooms featured all the amenities desired, great bathrooms and wonderful street views of a quaint Latin Quarter area. The breakfast was in a vaulted and clearly very old and ambiance filled portion of the hotel and left nothing to be desired. The staff could not have been more friendly and even agreed to open up the breakfast services earlier than posted to accomodate our early morning departure.
We have stayed in numerous hotels in Paris during prior visits but have agreed that we will stay at this hotel during our next visit. Great value for the money and within minutes of some of Paris' most desired sites (Notre Dame Cathedral, the banks of the Seine).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Turkish first
Roswell, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I booked the "triple room with Notre Dame views" back in January, confirmed I had that room for myself and my two daughters THREE TIMES, and upon check-in discovered we were in a small room with a double bed and an army style cot at the foot of the bed. The lady at the desk said as Americans we don't realize that the cot was a full size bed (it wasn't). I showed her my confirmation as well as the picture online of the room I was supposed to have and she said that someone else was in the room. I asked when they booked it as I had done so and confirmed twice since JANUARY!! It was June 12th!! She was rude and unhelpful and we were stuck in that room without space even for our luggage. I was so upset at how duped I was that I was in tears. That is terrible customer service to promise one room and give a smaller room without the features you are paying for.

Room Tip: DON'T TRUST YOUR RESERVATION!!! See the pic below of the room we got, and compare it to the &quo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

This place was everything we needed and more. The room was small, but we weren't expecting it to be large. It was clean, updated, well-kept, but most importantly extremely helpful and friendly staff. They gave us many great restaurant recommendations, directions to different areas, helped us plan our itinerary, etc. etc. Just perfect. Great location near Notre Dame.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I am re-posting this review that I posted before I was a member.

I stayed at the Abbatial Saint Germain in February, 2003.

The lobby was startlingly tiny; there was a small section with a couple of easy chairs where guests could read their morning papers, and there was an attached room that seemed to be part of the lobby as well, although I never saw anyone in it and don't know if it was officially used for anything. Check-in was hassle-free, but no-one offered to help me with my bags. I was given general directions to my room and struggled to haul my suitcase up the stairs. Luckily, I was on the first floor and I figured out how to turn on the hall light (it was on a timer and shut off automatically). There is a very, very small elevator as I later found out; it will hold one person and their bag or two people, no bags.

The room was also miniscule, but that was not unexpected. It was also spotless, which was the most important thing to me. There was a tiny armoire, two nightstands, a queen-sized bed, a desk and chair and a wall-mounted tv. The television only got CNN and BBC World News; I don't know if it was broken or if it was typical of this hotel, but since I wasn't in Paris to watch the television, I didn't complain. The room had lovely French (what else?) doors with which opened to a view of the quiet side street, the Rue des Bernardins. The room was also close to the front of the Hotel, so I did get quite a bit of traffic noise from the Boulevard Saint Germain. The little balconies also had well-tended window-boxes which added to the charm.T

he bathroom was also spotless and had new, modern conveniences.

Breakfast was held in the charming basement with it's stone walls and bucolic mural. There was a selection of breads, cereals, juices, yogurts and fruit. Breakfast coiuld also be ordered through room service, although there is no menu; simply an assortment of the same items are brought on a tray.

All of the hotel staff were courteous and efficient. The desk staff was helpful, in particular the night desk man (I'm afraid I cannot remember his name).

The hotel's greatest asset is it's location. A walk down the short Rue des Bernardins leads one to the Seine with a view of Notre Dame. The hotel is located on the famous Boulevard Saint Germain, although it is quite a distance away from some of the famous cafes for which this area is well-known. The hotel is very near Sylvia Beach's famous shop, Shakespeare and Company, and is also quite close to the incredible La Tour d'Argent, one of Paris's most famous and well-regarded restaurants. There are countless places that can be reached within an easy walk: the Louvre, the Place des Vosges, Notre Dame, Ile St. Louis, the Beaubourg (Centre Georges Pompidou), the Pont Neuf, Musee de Cluny, Musee d'Orsay, la Conciergerie, to name but just a few.

The Metro station Maubert-Mutualite is two blocks away and there are numerous convenient banks, pharmacies and cafes. There is an Internet cafe next to the comic book shop on the corner of the Boulevard Saint-Germain and Boulevard Saint Michel.

I'd have no qualms about staying at the Abbatial Saint Germain again, although I think I'd prefer a bit more luxury. I can certainly recommend it if one is looking for a clean, reasonably-priced hotel in an excellent location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Great location near the Seine & Notre Dame ... there are "nicer" neighbourhoods but one is out and about rather than staying in the hood. There is a small café next door with great coffee and croissants and it's half the price of breakfast at the hotel.
Bathroom was small but efficient and clean. Shared the room with a friend and it was large enough to hold our suitcases and "shopping". :)
Quite noisy and needed to keep the windows closed while sleeping but the AC works well.
Staff were very helpful, considering my French is basically non existent.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Hotel Abbatial Saint Germain is a very welcoming hotel. It is perfectly located to the Metro, Sorbonne, Notre Dame along with great dining and shops. Great Wi-fi in the room. The hotel staff were very helpful, professional, courteous and I appreciated their patience as I tried to speak French. The hotel staff speak English as well. As a solo traveler visiting Paris for the first time, I felt very at ease at the hotel and surroundings. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

A nice and old typical building in Saint Germain. Good service and small and simple rooms, but with all that is required for a comfortable stay. Well located, close to shops, restaurants, metro station and many important sights.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Abbatial Saint Germain? Share your experiences!