“3 days in Paris” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #99 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“3 days in Paris”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a short 3 day stay with my mum and found it to be very hospitable.

The location is excellent and the staff helpful.

The hotel is very small and old but if you like that sort of thing (which i do) then you'll certainly appreciate the decor.

We will definitely visit it again on our next adventure in Paris.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Tom G,

Thank you for choosin the Hotel des Grands Hommes for your Parisian stay and for having taken time to review on the quality of service provided while you were under our roof.

Looking to welcoming you back!
Best wishes,
Assistant Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Upland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel is very old, with small rooms and outdated decor like you'd expect from an older hotel in Paris. I asked for a quiet room, informing the man at check-in that I am a light sleeper. He gave us a room facing the Pantheon, which I assumed would make for a quiet night's sleep. When we got to the room, it sounded as if we were in the middle of the street. The windows were old, single pane, and very thin. They basically did nothing at all to dampen any street noise. We tried to sleep and after a couple hours of failure, we went downstairs, and since the check-in desk was busy and we were exhausted, we left and went to a different hotel. We called travelocity that night to cancel our reservation, and the next morning went back to the hotel and informed them of what happened. They insisted on charging us for two entire nights, even though we had not slept at all and only spent a couple hours total in the room. Ridiculous! I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Guests,

You booked through Venere.com on Dec. 25th 2013 for three nights, from Jan. 11th 2014.
The room booked was a Superior room with the view (overlooking the Pantheon). The description of the room is available on our website and Venere.com website.

The first point is :" very old, with small rooms and outdated decor"
The hotel had been wholy refurbished few years ago and we do every year some refurbishment paintings on two floors (we have 6 floors in total).
The hotel is Empire style, not old. We propose every service a three-star hotel can propose.
All our room are queen or king-bedded.
We can discuss about the hotel style. But I do not admit what you said ("old, outdated...). Once more, the hotel description is available everywhere if you are interested in it.

Indeed, at the check-inyou did ask for a quiet room. We acted so. The room you booked was a Superior room with the view on the Pantheon and we gave you a Comfort Triple room, facing the Pantheon as well, but farest from the elevator and one floor higher than the room they booked.
Moreover, the room #32 (Comfort Triple) is much larger.
This up-grade had been made complimentary, to suit you the best.
As the hotel was fuly booked on Sat. 11th Jan. 2014, I had no Classic room (over looking the courtyard) available for this night.

As I was working myself on Jan. 12th 2014 and knowing the situation, I found a solution for you to have a Classic room for the rest of their stay.
I did not have to : you checked-out, saying you wanted to leave and that you already booked another hotel...
So far so good. You paid your night of the 11th Jan. you stayed in, and the second night as well as a late cancellation.
I cancelled after the third night with no fee.

In our hotel, all bookings cancelled the day of arrival is booked.

We did not charged 2 extra nights...

This comment implies that we are thieves and that we do not care about our guests, their comfort and wellness while they are under our roof. This is wrong. Please read all the previous comments on Trip.
This was a simple situation : a guest did not like the room, he did not wanted to change to another room and awarned us his whishes to leave on the next morning....

We are a three-star hotel with a four star-standard and our reputation is with no deffect.

Mathieu Billaud
Assistant Manager
Ankara, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

The hotel charge the room to an unauthorized credit card number. I was going to stay in this hotel for two nights during a business trip to Paris. 1st night had been reserved by the company that I was going to have my meeting through SynXis/ Expedia. For the 2nd night I made the reservation myself through hotel's web page giving my VISA credit card. However, I had to cancel my trip because my son was hospitalized the day before travel. I knew that they were not going to reimburse the second night due to no show therefore I did not claim anything. However.... Big surprise they charged me the first night too. I don`t know their deal with SynXis/ Expedia, because they had my card number they did not hesitate to charge to that number 187 EUR without my authorization.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Madam,

I am sorry you coulnot honour your the booking you made. As I was told (not by yourself, but by one of your colleague) on the arrival date you wouldnot check-in, I billed the night.

Let me clarify few points :

You made two bookings :

- One booking made on Dec. 13th 2013 (8h27) for two single rooms from Jan. 11th to 12th. The rate booked (WINTER) is a hot-deal rate, i.e. pre-payable at the booking with no possibility of amendment nor refund.
The two rooms were for Rengul ATALAY & Ozlen KONU.

As you did not check-in the hotel, one of the two rooms had been changed from ATALAY to YULUK.
I did not charge any fee for this amendment of person as I should (hot-deal rate).

- Another booking made on Dec. 13th (9h24) through GDS (Expedia), from jan. 10th to 11th for a single room.

On Jan. 10th 2014, one of your colleague who stayed in the hotel the same night informed us that you will not come.
Considering this, we charge the night (Jan. 10th) as a late cancellation with the credit card provided at the booking. The amount charge is 187€.

To sum up, there is no "unauthorized" debit. Contrary to what you said, there had been no cancellation made before the arrival date.

This review questions about our professionalism and IS NOT TRUE.

Wishing to welcome you next time you will stay in Paris,

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary trip to Paris (first visit). I am so glad we did, I wouldn't want to risk any other hotel now.
Latin Quarter is lovely and the HGH is pretty, very tastefully decorated with a charming boutique feel, perfect for the area.
The room was extremely comfortable, well decorated and spotlessly clean. We had a room on the second floor overlooking the square and it was a pleasure to be there. It was very quiet and with heavy drapes we overslept on both mornings (good sign in my book). Unfortunately the Pantheon is undergoing lengthy refurbishment so the whole dome is behind scaffolding but that doesn't really detract from this lovely square, the view is still spectacularly Parisian.
The staff members we spoke to were fantastically helpful in every way. Our French is junior-school at best (though we insist on trying) so their excellent English made life trouble-free.
We breakfasted at local cafe's because we wanted that Parisian-cafe experience. We didn't save much money doing so anyway.
We walked pretty easily to Notre Dame (15 mins), Louvre (25 mins) and on through Place de Concorde, Champs Alysees to the Arc de Triomph (all wonderful btw).
Metro back was very easy and the Batobus stops close to Notre Dame too. Also walked through Luxembourg Gardens to the Montparnasse Tower (unreal views without the crowds).
Got lucky with the weather for January but a really wonderful place to stay. Thanks especially to the reception staff who can't do enough for you.
On travel, RER to and from Airport CDG is very simple, runs many times an hour, takes up to 45 minutes and the station is 15 mins away at Notre Dame so is very easy. Also download the RATP Paris Metro app, tells you how to get from wherever you are to any of the sights.
We fell in love with Paris and the Hotel certainly played a part.

Room Tip: May be time of year but front rooms are quiet and have lovely views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for choosing our establishment for your 25th wedding anniversary and for laudatory review.
Your comment honours us. We daily work hard to make every guest's stay memorable.
We are a three-star hotel with a four-star standard.

We propose different formula for the breakfast : 6€ (cereals, yoghurt & fruit); 9€ (ham, goat cheese, bread & butter..); and 14€ for the classic French breakfast. It is composed of a hot drink and a fruit juice, bread & viennoiseries, daily jam & butter, dried fruits and a daily home-made smoothie. All thse products are fresh and local.
I am glad you noticed breakfasts around the hotel are not bargain contary to what we offer.

Thank you too for posting your photo of room #22.

Best wishes,
Assistant manager.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

First visit to this wonderful hotel. Great location, great rooms, great service. We had two rooms in our party, both were great. If you can spend the extra on a Pantheon facing room, go for it, but the rooms without a view are still very good. Rooms are quite small but they are so nicely decorated, then you can live with this. Breakfast not taken so cant comment. Highly recommend if it is in your budget range. Will return.

Room Tip: Rooms with the Pantheon view are excellent if you have that bit extra to spend. But all rooms appear...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having tazken time to review the quality of the hotel and service provided while you were our guest.
The French breakfast is rated at 14€ including bread & viennoiseries, jam & butter, juice & hot drink, dried fruits and a daily home-made smoothie!!
We propose as well different formula : one at 10€ with ham and goat cheese, one at 9€ with cereals, fruit, yogurt..
Moreover, if you have breakfast on the first day, on the second day it will be discounted of 50%!!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,
Mathieu Billaud.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We spent New Year here and couldn't recommend this hotel enough. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough for us.

We stayed in a classic room which although was a little on the small side, it was perfect for our short stay. The surrounding area has lots going on but is also conveniently located for both the metro and within walking distance of Notre Dame etc.

Definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Thank you for having chosen the Hotel des Grands Hommes for this new year!!

The hotel is indeed very well located (in the very heart of Paris, near the Seine river, Notre-Dame...) and quiet as well as the hotel is on a place and not main boulevards (which are at 3 min walk).

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
Assistant manager.
Seattle, USA (Home), Taipei, TW (Work)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

13 - Nights
Christmas through New Year

We've stayed in a few different hotels in the 5th and 6th arrondissement and this, by far, has been our favorite. Situated at the steps of the Pantheon, halfway between Rue Mouffetard and Jardin du Luxembourg, Hotel des Grands Hommes is in the perfect spot.

The room size is smaller than what you'll get in Asia and the US, but they are no less comfortable, even for our two week stay. We stayed in a Superior Double Room w/ Balcony overlooking the Pantheon. Closet space was ample enough to store our luggage and hang our clothes, the desk was handy, but the balcony overlooking the Pantheon was the biggest advantage of this room.

Finally, the staff is what can make or break any hotel and we both agree that this staff couldn't have been more helpful. Over the two week period we got to know just about everyone at the front desk and they were all professional, knowledgable and discrete at the same time. Booking taxis, restaurant recommendations, sights...they were very helpful.

I guess the best endorsement of the Grands Hommes is that we just booked another week there this Spring.

Room Tip: Getting a room with a view of the Pantheon is worth the effort
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your laudatory review!!
Your feedback is important, we daily work hard to make every guest's stay memorable.

I look forward to welcoming you back in spring to provide you at least the same quality of service...or even better!

Best regards,
Assistant Manager.

Been to Hotel des Grands Hommes? Share your experiences!