“Working trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #99 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
World
“Working trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel, at walking distance from so many parisian attractions. I travelled with a small baby and got a wonderful spacious room where the hotel staff placed an extra crib. Friendly staff. Extremely clean hotel ( I am known for being picky).

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Hotel des Grands Hommes in early July 2013. This hotel made our vacation to Paris perfect. First, I don't speak French and this was my first trip to Paris. The hotel staff all spoke English and could not have been more helpful. The hotel is in a wonderful location, directly across the street from the Pantheon, two blocks to the Luxembourg Gardens and four blocks to Notre Dame. The adjacent neighborhood is alive with people and sidewalk cafes. Our room was beautiful. While it was small, it was decorated very "high end," with fabric wall coverings, beautiful art, fine linens and antique furniture. We stayed in Room 61 which I would recommend to anyone - two sets of french doors open out onto a large terrace with patio furniture. All of this overlooks the Pantheon. The setting is something I would imagine in a movie. I lay in bed at night and looked out the french doors at the dome of the church directly across the street. In the early evenings I would sit on our terrace and read as the sun set. Wonderful!!!

Room Tip: There are two rooms on the 6th floor with private terraces that face the Pantheon. Ask about them.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
riyadh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Hotel des Grands Hommes is a very charming hotel, very well located on the "Place du Pantheon", nearby the garden of Luxembourg and walking distance from Saint-Germain district, left bank... The staff was very nice and welcoming, the hotel is a bit tiny but that's also part of its charm. The room with view on the "Pantheon" was very nice decorated, typical romantic french style I would say... We only stayed one night, but that was a nice experience.

Room Tip: The room with view on Pantheon are very nice...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Rafael, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the good reviews. It was not inexpensive but I was willing to pay as I had high hopes after reading Tripadvisor reviews.

First the positives as there were some. The location is great for those who walk. We walked everywhere from our hotel and though we had aching feet we loved the option to walk all over Paris and not miss a thing. Also the desk staff was overall really helpful and lovely. Since there is no concierge I felt the desk staff was helpful enough.

The negatives, and unfortunately they outweighed the positives for me. Noise! So much noise at all hours....We were on the 2nd floor and the first morning were woken before 8:00 to construction next door (think it's actually a sister hotel). When I inquired the woman staffing the desk acted surprised there was construction at all. Given the huge dumpsters and obvious amount of work going on next door I'm pretty sure the construction was not a surprise to the hotel staff. In addition the construction noise We had people next door and above slamming their doors and yelling at all hours. We could even hear every single time they used the bathroom and flushed. I don't expect an early night in Paris, but by 2:00 or 3:00 am I like the option to sleep. Even with earplugs, Ambien, and a pillow over my head I was lucky to get a few broken hours of sleep. Given I have two kids at home (including a toddler) one of the things I was most looking forward to was a little sleep.

I asked to be moved to a quieter room but was told none were available.

Room Tip: Perhaps the top floor is not as noisy???
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
PLPelletier, Responsable réception at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for having taken time to give your feedbacks concerning your stay in Paris.
I am happy that you noted the quality of our work to make every guest’s stay memorable.
The construction next door is now finished, and the refurbished hotel will open at the beginning of August.
You may have noticed some noise precisely because the area around us is so quiet, with almost no traffic.
The legal hours for construction work are from 8am to 6pm, and I am sorry that you were disturbed. As we were fully booked, it was impossible for us to provide another room further from the construction.
If you should like to honour us by choosing to stay in the future, I would be delighted to offer you the best possible rate and room.
Mathieu Billaud, Manager assistant
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Located just beside the Pantheon, this small but tastefully appointed hotel offers a great location,
Available and friendly service, fresh clean rooms, excellent beds and quite neighborhood for visitors to Paris. Close to the Sorbonne it has many choices for eating from quick coffee and a croissant to full menu bistros. Easy walking to the Luxembourg Gardens and metro. Nice large bathroom and long tub.

We did not have the hotel breakfast, rather opted for a close coffee.

Room Tip: Our room was on the backside of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
wv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Like its sister hotel, du Pantheon (tragically undergoing renovations to move to 5 star status), this is a gem of a small hotel in an ideal location. We had a street side 3rd floor room with a balcony (the only 3rd floor room with a balcony) that was gorgeous, offered a stunning view of the Pantheon, and with the soundproofing provided a quiet sleep. Staff are professional and friendly--eg, we discussed the possibility of rain and whether to take an umbrella with the desk clerk one evening, we decided against it, and of course it poured. He felt so bad he wrote a note asking forgiveness for his failure to predict the weather!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Medina, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I loved this hotel. It was a beautiful, old French hotel tastefully renovated and comfortable. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The location was good next to the Pantheon and within walking distance to la Rue Mouffetard, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Jardin de Luxembourg, metro and RER stops. There was a large bathroom with separate tub and shower, and a lovely little balcony off the room. Many nice cafés, and restaurants in the area. If you want pastries, or sandwiches, to take back to the room and eat on the balcony, there is a nice boulangerie at the end of the little street to the right of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel des Grands Hommes? Share your experiences!