“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Geneva, Switzerland
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our first year of marriage in Paris and we stayed at Hotel des Grands Hommes. We had the most wonderful experience, never to be forgotten! The hotel is truly lovely, small, but beautifully decorated and very friendly staff. The location cannot be beaten. I will be recommending this hotels to friends and family!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

my wife and i celebrated our 10 year anniversary by spending 5 nights in paris. We were on the 5th floor facing the pantheon. the room was on the small side but still had a desk and 2 small closets. the bed was great and the view unbelievable. the balcony is small but very nice to have. we found all the staff at the hotel extremely friendly and helpfu, i forgot my sunglasses and they e-mailed me to let me know and mailed them back to me!! loved the location, close to many things including metro acces. would definitely recommend this hotel. excellent value for paris.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is located right in the Latin Quarter, on the big square containing the Pantheon – an ornate memorial to the “grands hommes” (great men) of France. Many Sorbonne / University of Paris buildings lie within a few blocks. Numerous stylish shops and busy restaurants are close at hand.

Our room was fairly spacious and tastefully decorated. And the elegant bathroom was huge. Everything was quite clean. We stayed there two nights. The front desk staff was very helpful and quite conversant in English (although you were welcome to try out a little French). The small lobby is decorated in a classical style, giving the place a slightly formal feeling. The staff generally provides a very high level of service and takes obvious pride in their hotel. (Our only uncomfortable moment came when we were chided for being “late” for breakfast, even though we arrived 25 minutes before the posted closing time. The front desk later apologized for the misunderstanding.) The cost is somewhat high, but you're paying for a very central location.

We thought two nearby sights were especially worthwhile. (1) Luxembourg Gardens (a few blocks west) provides amazing people watching. It’s a beautiful park. But it’s also this great gathering place. There are hundreds of free-standing chairs, which people use to sit in circles and visit. (2) There’s a wonderfully thriving restaurant scene that’s tucked away on back streets. It runs for fifteen intensely fascinating blocks, half way between Blvd. St. Germain and the Seine River – starting a few blocks east of the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Pres.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Westmont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were at the hotel for three nights. Our room was on level 5, with a terrace, on the Pantheon side. The view was excellent as the people in the plaza appeared in the morning and disappeared in the evening like a tide coming and going. This hotel has everything. Perfect touring location, a great accommodating staff, comfortable, clean, beautiful decor and close to a variety of good cafes and restaurants. The room was somewhat small but very adequate for our needs. Being a small hotel, there was even no wait for the elevator. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Fifth level rooms on the Pantheon side have a small terrace.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

In summary good clean & well decorated rooms. Very helpful service at the front desk. The location is perfect for visiting central paris - walking or metro nearby for all major attractions. Hotel is also competitively priced. Highly recommend.
Room with a terrace & view of the Pantheon is also recommended.
Downsides - breakfast is not worth paying for. Great place to eat behind the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Excellent location,closest to the Luxemborg RER which can get you anywhere Paris and 15 minutes walk to the Notre Dame. But the loveliest part were the rooms (we had a room on level 3 overlooking the pantheon - upgraded for no extra charge), it was decorated tastefully with antique furniture, beautiful drapes/wallpaper and a lovely bath. It was so nice coming back from a long day of sightseeing to 'our' hotel and room. Quiet at nights and a great view of Pantheon. The staff were helpful with maps / places to eat. There is a cute boulangerie next to the park where you can have a croissant for breakfast too (b'fast was not included). Would recommend this hotel to fellow travellers, it really encapsulates the Parisian experience.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hotel des Grands Hommes for a few days on a business trip, picking the hotel mainly based on the high ratings here and the decision of a colleague to stay there (also based largely on such ratings).

The room was small, which did not surprise or bother me. The common areas of the hotel were well-maintained, but the room and its furnishings could use significant upgrading. There were a number of problems I encountered with my room. On one of the mornings there was no hot water. The room was uncomfortably overheated much of the time (I had to keep the windows open). The room did not have the degree of cleanliness I would consider acceptable, although I suppose it could have been worse. The walls were quite thin and I could hear conversations from an adjoining room. Worst of all, while I was attracted to the hotel because it had a nonsmoking policy, someone in a nearby room was smoking and the smoke permeated my room. I realize this is not the hotel's fault, but it added to my disappointment.

The hotel had an inconsistently-enforced policy of asking guests to surrender keys upon exiting the hotel. I have been told this is not uncommon in European hotels and is based on security concerns (the keys had the room number on them) but have not encountered it before. Perhaps this is a US-centric perspective but it struck me as a policy that signalled distrust of guests, and is something I myself would associate with early post-WW2 flophouses and the like (thus it added to the generally depressing atmosphere of this hotel). It was actually worse that the hotel reception staff did not consistently enforce the policy, which inevitably had the appearance of discrimination or arbitrary and capricious behavior. It is difficult for me to believe that the hotel management, at this price point, cannot invest in 21st century door-locking technology, or address the security concern in some other manner.

The hotel is in a good location of course. I did not give the hotel the lowest possible rating because the manager, reception staff and housekeeping personnel of the hotel were quite friendly and attentive, despite the problems I note above. The manager of this hotel clearly cares about the hotel and its reputation, which counts for something.

Nonetheless, I cannot recommend this hotel to others, and I am baffled that this is one of the most highly-rated Paris hotels on this site. In the future, for a similar trip, I would probably spend more money or stay at a better hotel at a similar price in a less convenient location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PLPelletier, Responsable relations publiques at Hotel des Grands Hommes, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Sir,

Let me the opportunity to answer to your comment and give our future guests some explanations about your critics.

You immediatly came back to the reception after your check in, quite stressed and frantic, explaining us that you were very concerned about the cleanliness of your room...I took 10mn to bring you back in to the room, showing you that everything was perfect, and ask also the presence of our House Keeper Manager to prove you how cleanless is important for us. I don't know what degree of cleanliness you need, but considering the hundreds of reviews mentionning how spotless are our rooms, our guests can be assured that everything possible is done for their confort.

The room was too hot and I would like to apologize for that : we stopped the air conditioned at the end of september because the temperature outside is now about 60°F and most of our guests request some heater. Maybe a misunderstanding in the process made you use the heater thinking that temperature will be colder.

I sincerely apologize for the problem with hot water on friday morning as we had a problem with the boiler which stopped during the night and had only been repaired at 10am.
We proposed our guests who requested a solution with our twin sister hotel next door to let everyone having a hot shower.

Concerning the procedure of the key, it appears obvious that for security reasons (name of the hotel and room number mentioned on it), we really prefer to keep it at the reception. I would like to apologize that my colleagues hadn't been clear enough when asking your key.

I am surprised that you could smell cigarette in your room. As you mentioned, we are fully non smoking. If it happens that we realize a guest is smoking on his room, we immediately act to stop that. More than that, none of the cleaner reported such a case during your stay. Even more, I am in charge of checking the rooms on sunday and none of it smelled cigarette. It might come from the neighborhood and there isn't unfortunately nothing that we can do.

Concerning the sound of conversations,any of our guests never mentionned that. The situation of the room itself at the complete end of the corridor, separated from the room 63 by the bathroom and from the room 61 by a huge main wall, is a guarentee that any noise from inside the hotel can arrive to the room. May it be possible that with your window opened, you heared talkings from outside the hotel ?

You think that your room needs significant upgrading : if you mean that the beautiful empire desk has to be replaced by a non tasty modern furniture, or the toile de jouy (not wall paper, real toile !) repainted with white colour, it is a tasteful question. Every year, we entirely repaint 2 floors of rooms, the guest comments, and the photos on Trip Advisor show, unpretentious, how our hotel is well maintained.

I hope all this useless speach will help people making themself a better opinion on our Hotel.

Pierre-Louis

Been to Hotel des Grands Hommes? Share your experiences!