“Excellent restaurant and atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cul de Poule

Cul de Poule
53 Rue des Martyrs, 75009 Paris, France (Hôtel-de-Ville)
+33 1 53 16 13 07 ‎
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,513 of 13,459 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Hôtel-de-Ville
Flekkefjord, Norway
“Excellent restaurant and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was a great find for us. We came across the place after reading about it in The Lonely Planet. The food was great and we dined on the second floor which we had all to our self. For my self I had the Risotto after a recommendation from the waitress. It's on of the best risotto's I've ever tasted and itself a good enough reason to go back on some future trip.

Visited March 2013

Halifax, United Kingdom
“Great find.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

What a place, what a find.

Behind an unlikely looking front lies a superb restaurant that the lonelyplanet.describes as "one of the best kitchens in Pigalle.".
For its price, it is arguably one of the better kitchens in Paris.

For a touch over 80euro 2 of us had 3 courses each and shared a bottle of a decent sparkling white. The duck breast starter was flavoured perfectly with a hint of orange, and the pork main with a sweet potato puree was a treat.

Go. Ignore the tired looking exterior and enjoy.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
København, Danmark
“Great service and tasty food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

A very pleasant visit to this little charming restaurant! A very nice taste of the french cuisine and not least skilling and friendly staff. Defiantly worth a visit!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greenport, Long Island Wine Country, New York
“A perfect experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The service was beyond excellent. The owner is super cool, and very hip. The waitress was so nice. I actually ate there twice in two weeks. I have an apartment a few minutes away in the very happening 9th arrondisement neighborhood, and had heard about this place from some locals. The second time back I brought some friends who were visiting from New York and Boston. When the waitress found out my friends were Americans, the waitress translated the whole menu for them in English (which was a nice break for me- lol). They loved her and even took pictures with her. As wonderful as she was, the food was even better! You definitely want to do the "menu", as it is an amazing bargain. We had the zucchini soup and the foie gras as the entrees (starters) and for "le plat" (main course) I had a huge and perfectly cooked steak, as did one of the other guests, and the other two did the filet "tres mignon" de porc, which I had the first time. They were amazing. I loved my steak, because I love a big steak, and I was hungry! To the reviewer who gave a five star review (yet only rated them an overall 4 for the steak not being cooked just the way they liked it, the reviewer should have simply sent it back. The waitress gave that option when she explained the the cooking temperature choices. So that one was on you. I would give them a six, if it was possible. We skipped dessert, as my friends wanted the touristy bells and whistles crepes on la Butte Montmartre. My French cousin is apartment sitting for me, and I asked him if he knew about Cul de Poule, and he said in his very fast Parisian "everybody does", so again---do not miss this place! 10 sur 10!!! Merci et a bientot! Make reservations!!! Seating starts at 20h (8pm) If you forgot to make a reservation, go at 8, they will get you in!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Deserved credits for valued nice food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were walking around Pigalle area trying to lunch at the famous crepe restaurant, but it was not opened. As we just arrived Paris that morning and was very hungry we wandered along the road on Rue des Martyrs and tried to find a restaurants that are not either a kebab shops or italian restaurants (as the area is full of bad restaurants for tourists), and we came across this restaurant that looks quite decent and went in. Staff was nice and sat us down. Did not expect a proper lunch, we actually had 2 courses meal (starter + main). The starters were alright (we had a chicken with hint of curry sauce dish, and mushroom soup), the mains were actually quite good (steaks with potatos, and risottos with oranges sauces). The risottos was very decent (as it can be quite over cooked in many restaurants) and the steak was very decent and huge. We ordered it medium-rare and did come medium-rare, though on the thicker side of the steak it was very rare. But no complaint as it was a huge steak. We were surprised the menu cost 15E per person (with 3E supplement for steak) so it was a very good-valued lunch menu!

• Visited February 2013