“Wonderful experience!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 1,793 hotels in Paris
St. Petersburg, FL
“Wonderful experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I visited in September (2012) for 4 nights. We stayed in the 5th floor apartment with my sister and her husband. There was plenty of room for the 4 of us. We all LOVED it! It is a charming, meticulously clean, old building that has been renovated and well maintained. In a fabulous neighborhood, close to the Arts & Metiers Metro station and within walking distance to many great restaurants, shops, etc. The owner, Didier, is charming, accomodating, friendly and helpful, and also gives you your privacy. You are a guest in his home essentially. The breakfast provided is excellent, more than enough food, fresh fruit, croissant and baguettes, and coffee of course! Everything about it....terrific. and not to leave out...the French poodle, Dixie...adorable!

Room Tip: The apartment has a separate bedroom with a queen size bed. There is a pull-out bed in the living r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had the great pleasure of staying at Hotel du Haut Marais on a brief break in Paris.

The unassuming exterior belies the wonderful welcome and beautifully styled rooms that await within.

My third floor double room was spacious enough, with a gorgeous modern bathroom. I was there alone, but it would be marvellous for a couple - romantic, intimate and something really special and different from bland chain hotels.

The breakfast was simple but of the highest quality, and the hotel is situated moments walk from a plethora of cafes, bars and shops.

Should I have cause to return to Paris again, I'll be sure to look up this place and keep my fingers crossed that they have vacancies.

Room Tip: Given the beautiful condition of my room and the appealing style of the office and breakfast room, I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had two free nights at the five star Park Hyatt Vendome (Hyatt credit card offer). I was sad when I left there because it's like staying at a palace. Then I moved for five nights (May 2012) to the Hotel du Haut Marais. It was like visiting a good friend, with a nice guest room with a lot of privacy. I felt so at home. It could have been depressing to move from a five-star hotel to a little inn, but I was very comfortable. It's a great neighborhood.

It's simple. The place is immaculate. The bathroom is brand new. The hosts really do make it an oasis of hospitality.

I don't drink coffee, and I love that they serve first-quality orange juice in the morning. There are no eggs, but the breakfast is simple and first quality (cheese, meats, bread, yogurt, croissants, etc.). A large dining table is set and you get to meet everyone else at the hotel. It's in a comfortable stone cave with crystal chandeliers.

Again, it's really nice having a brand-new bath that is not like a closet. It was spacious enough. Not like a tiny closet bathroom.

Some people have made comments in other reviews that it's on a quiet street with no cars, and they were not sure about safety late at night. Honestly, there is a small pub, around the corner (which is not noisy). There were always people out even at 1:30 in the morning. I never felt unsafe. It is a great neighborhood that seems to be getting a lot of new restaurants with very good ratings (and not too expensive). There were always enough people out that I felt comfortable if I stayed out late.

Didier and Marc's restaurant recommendations were excellent. They are very nice. One night, had a bottle of champagne with them then went out to dinner.

Book early. It fills up. There are only six rooms for them to maintain, so they go out of their way to make it great little inn.

Also. Keep in mind that the Louvre was open until 10:00 PM on the Wednesday I visited. I arrived at noon and finally left at 9:00 PM.

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor facing the street. It was totally quiet at night. There is a church w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is the most charming hotel I have ever stayed in! Didier is very accommodating and made our stay incredibly memorable! The location is very central. Walking distance from the Seine and Notre Dame. My only complaint about the location would be the noise from the school across the street from the hotel, but this was only during the day.

Our room was small but very charming! The furniture looked antique and I really liked the exposed beams on the ceiling. The bathrooms are very spacious with a rain shower! My husband and I agree that the best part of out stay was the amazing breakfast buffet! The bread, coffee and selection of croissants and chesse was amazing! I also could not get over how impeccable the decor was!

This charming little hotel is ideal for couples.

We will be staying here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I can't give an "excellent" review because it would go to Didier's head ;-) What a great find. So glad I was able to trust Trip Advisor's comments. Didier was a blast and a gracious host. The room we had, no 11, was roomy enough for Paris standards, and the bathroom was fresh and clean. A small TV and a fresh bottle of water each day was a nice touch. We appreciated a small TV in the room; to bad the only english channel was BBC News. The free wi-fi was a welcome amenity as was the ample breakfast each morning. Its the location that'll keep you coming back; close to two metro stations and myriad of quirky little shops, restaurants & cafes. It's an artsy area with so much activity late into the night but the hotel is set in from any busy streets so its rather quiet. You may hear a few rambunctious people walking by late into the evening but its usually not a big issue. Don't hesitate to try this place.

Alston, Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

On arrival, you wonder what awaits you down this unimposing back street. However, your concerns quickly dissipate upon entry into the inner sanctum of Didier and Marc’s little oasis of hospitality. It’s a quirky but interesting bolt hole and one you’ll not be sorry to have experienced. We took some bread, cheese, olives and bubbly from the local Carrefour Express (yes, we did pay for it!) back to our third floor garret for a romantic supper overlooking the courtyard opposite. This is a different but worthwhile area of Paris to explore and you could do a lot worse than head down to the area of the iconic Pompidou Centre for a morning stroll after the excellent communal continental breakfast. Didier speaks excellent English and is a genial host. We would most certainly consider staying here again.

Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The location can't be beat. This place is in the heart of the Marais district and an easy 15 minute walk to major attractions near the Ile de la Cité. The room was really lovely. Very clean with modern furnishings, yet with old architecture and windows that added charm. The bed was very comfortable. The shower in the tiled bathroom was a real treat, almost like a spa.

We were on the fourth floor and the spiral staircase was small and tight. As others have mentioned, this is true of many places in Paris. There are good handrails and walls to help keep your balance, so even though I'm a fat person I had no trouble navigating the stairs. There is also a tiny elevator, which was handy to get our luggage up.

The owners are absolutely delightful. Although we spoke in French, they are also fluent in English. Not only do they have excellent advice about the neighborhood, but also they are witty, helpful, and welcoming. Next time I'm in Paris, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel du Haut Marais? Share your experiences!