“Bad meal unrecognized” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Fernand

Chez Fernand
127 Boulevard du Montparnasse, 75006 Paris, France (Saint-Germain-des-Pres)
+33 1 43 27 47 11
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
“Bad meal unrecognized”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had read the reviews and this restaurant was in walking distance from our hotel so seemed a good choice, however ... My husband and I both ordered the cote de boeuf with pepper sauce. Mine was very good however my husbands was very overlooked and very tough to the point he could not eat it. Our waiter was nowhere in site to be even able to flag him down and advise him. When he finally arrived, I was done my meal and my husnand explained that his steak wasn't edible. The server did offer another steak dinner but by this time the meal was done. We ordered a dessert and when the bill came there was no recognition of the problem ( although this may be a north American policy. When my husband said he didn't feel he should pay for a bad steak the server said it wasn't his fault and he could have had another one. So a bad steak can happen anywhere but you don't want it to happen here cause the response was much less than expected

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Fabulous Little Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a great place to get some good food with great ambiance! Lots of locals eat there so you know it is good. After dinner and wine walk the streets in the area which is loaded with bars and shops. This place was a graet find.

Visited June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great recommendation from the hotel staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The staff at Hotel d'Aubusson recommended this restaurant. They made reservations for us and it was a good that they did. Even with reservations we had to wait for 20 minutes before being seated. The restaurant is so small that you must stand in the dinning room to wait for your table. The waiter was nice enough to give my wife and I a complimentary glass of wine while we waited.

When we were seated, we got a great table. The one right in front of the window is a perfect table for two. The food was very good. We went for the specials listed on the board. I had the duck breast which was cooked perfectly and my wife had the boeuf bourguignon. She enjoyed their interpretation but commented on the lack of carrots, onions, and mushrooms that she has found in other recipes. We had a very good bottle of wine recommended by the waiter that went perfectly with our meal.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Buchanan, Michigan
“Cozy Restaurant with Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Yummy food with a Good variety of selections. We ate there three times, once with a graduate of a New York culinary school and another with wine experts from California. They were all very pleased. The service was quite good except for one evening when the server was harried.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Went back for a return visit before departing Paris...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had such an amazing experience here the first time as tourists, we wanted to make it our last meal before we left Paris (until we can return again, of course). My wife had beef bourguignon that was amazing one night and the shank of lamb the next visit. I stuck with seafood both times and the scallops and later the sea bass were also delicious.

What really separated them was the wine pairing recommended by our sommelier/waiter and the chocolate soufflé dessert. It was simply the amazing French meal that you would envision if you were traveling in from somewhere else.

• Visited July 2012