“Outstanding Staff, Fabulous Location, Clean and Warm, Decent Price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Pres Paris

You added Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Pres Paris to your Saves list
Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Pres Paris
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   53, ter Quai des Grands Augustins, 75006 Paris, France (Odeon / Saint-Michel)   |
Ranked #247 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
“Outstanding Staff, Fabulous Location, Clean and Warm, Decent Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We only had one day in Paris. Booked this hotel through the Eurostar website and was very happy we did.

First, the staff was outstanding. Particularly Alicia (or Ilcia, sorry, I'm sure the spelling is incorrect). She was extremely knowledgeable and gave many insider/local tips. Told us the best places to eat in the surrounding area and the cheapest place for currency exchange. She helped us out when we had a major problem the next morning, and even helped us store our bags after checkout, so we could walk around unburdened by luggage. She spoke almost perfect English, which was invaluable and a concern of mine because I speak no French. She is truly an asset to the Citadines brand and should be promoted!

Location: I am not an expert on Paris, but I think I lucked up when I chose this hotel. The location was wonderful, and we had a great time walking around Saint-Germain. The surrounding neighborhood is full of interesting shops and shop windows to stroll around and view. Facing the Seine River, very close to the Pont Neuf, Pont des Arts (lover's lock bridge), Notre Dame, the Louvre. So much to see!

Hotel: We got there a little early, but they managed to have a room available for us. It is an apart'hotel, so it had a small kitchenette. This would have been utilized more if we would have stayed longer, but we only stayed one night, so it wasn't utilized. Wi-Fi was really good, plenty of plugs for power, large living room area, nice separate bedroom, pull-apart sofa for the teens (a tucked in bed actually separated so it could be moved further away from the sofa bed). Quiet corner room on the ground floor overlooking a courtyard and gym. No problems there. Heavy curtains to keep out light. Warm, inviting hotel foyer that allowed 24-hour coffee/tea/hot chocolate/cappuccino machine. Vending machines around the corner that contained snacks, sodas and bottled water, but also had a water cooler with cups for free water.

I would definitely stay here again, and I highly recommend this hotel for anyone based on the staff, cleanliness, and location. Price was okay, but we did stay just before Christmas, in a great area on the Seine, and got a very large room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Of all the hotels we stayed at while in Europe, this was our favorite. Clean, modern, excellent amenities, friendly staff. We were centrally located (right across from the Seine at the tip of Ile de la Cite, located very near the St. Michel and Pont Neuf metro stations), but our third floor apartment didn't pick up much street noise (aside from the early-morning garbage truck). For a family of four, there was a bedroom with a king size bed and two twins (one on the couch, one as a trundle) that were (surprisingly) incredibly comfortable. The kitchenette is small, obviously, but clean and well stocked with kitchen-ware. Sheets were only changed every three days (hooray for going green!), but housekeeping made the beds every day, which at least made it feel like new sheets. If I ever return to Paris, I will absolutely stay here again. I can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Laurent B, Responsable relations clients at Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Pres Paris, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay. I will share your compliments with my colleagues. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Dedham, Ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

First of all, this is an "apart-hotel", so if you are looking for a Five star cosmopolitan property, this isn't it. However, if you have a couple of youngish kids (both a little under 10) that you want to have as part of your "suite", and want to be in the middle of a lot of activity around St. Germaine, Notre Dame, and Louvre area, then this hotel fits the bill at a reasonable price.

The staff were very cheerful (especially for Paris) and seemed genuinely interested in helping.

They had problems with wi-fi while we were there, so I agree with another poster that this May not be the place to try to work if you need broadband.

We also had a ground floor room with a courtyard view, but it was very quiet, which is helpful when you just flew three flights and 14 hours overnight with youngsters.

One related piece of advice for travelers with young kids and any amount of luggage: don't even think about the RER from CDG. We did try, cause my little guy loves trains...and it's a bear. If you're sans kids and going for the weekend, it's a piece of cake, and will set you back 19 Euro's instead of 60-90 Euro's by Taxi. Go to St Michele stop, and follow all the way to last exit from platform: Quai de Augustine... You're a 5 minute walk along Seine towards the Louvre away.

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Clean, simple hotel in a brilliant central Paris location. Friendly service, good local facilities, <10 minute walk to Notre Dame and Louvre as well as a good selection of restaurants and shops in the St Germain area.

Other great thing for us having flown to CdG, was that it was only c250m from St Michel metro - the RER came straight from CdG to there via Gard du Nord which make it really easy arriving in Paris by Eurostar or air.

Room Tip: Only the really large/expensive rooms overlook the river.
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed here as a solo traveler on part-business/part-pleasure trip. Stayed 16 days. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Location is unbeatable: walk easily (and I'm a young senior adult) to Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Rodin, Picasso, Victor Hugo, Shoah memorial, Notre Dame, Saint Chappelle, right bank couture shopping, numerous museums, Champs d'Elysee, Sorbonne campuses, Pantheon, small non-chain stores, medieval streets, right on the Seine a few yards from Pont Neuf. I looked forward to returning to the warm, welcoming interior at the end of a cold December day of walking about and seeing sights or a day of work. Premier Studio generous with lovely kitchenette, great firm bed with clean and lovely linens, modern bath very clean with lovely linens, great vegetable-based soaps, roomy. Much larger than some rooms in Paris!!! The highest luxury hotels cost far, far more. I was extremely happy and highly recommend this lovely, modest, comfortable and friendly hotel with kitchenettes. Kitchenettes let me save on food costs and balance the rich food of Paris (absolute Yum-stars) with a need for a lower-fat diet. I would splurge and then eat fruits and veggies, so I could splurge again. Perfect. Absolutely loved the firm (but not hard) bed....would take it home with me if it fit in my suitcase :-) Room was warm. Soundproofing very good. I had room with view of rooftops which meant my room was quiet; I needed that especially for some work time. Free wireless in rooms. Would return in a second!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

After much research, I decided to book this hotel - going by the branding and some of the reviews of this place. Whilst you can't fault the location and the service of the staff, this hotel is in serious need of renovation. You can also tell by the fact that they leave a pad of notes in the apartment that you can write to them to tell them what you need maintenance in!! For example, the hair dryer (attached to the wall) in my bathroom was really crap. After using it for about 5 minutes, it shut down (probably over heated) and it was really noisy and you have to continually and manually hold the button for the hot air to come out. After the first use, I decided to "write in" and when I came back in the evening, a hair dryer was placed on my towels for my use. Much better!! For that, you can't fault the service!!

We had two apartments. One of the apartments had a toilet/shower in the same room. The other apartment had the toilet and the shower in two different rooms!! And if the toilet door is open, and you open the room door from outside, the two doors bang!!( It so happened that one person was coming in and the other was going out of the toilet! Luckily, no one was injured!!)

The small size of the apartments is kinda expected, given that this is Paris. But the furniture and fittings are very old! Even the lifts are old. It shook badly when we went up and down and the "door open" and "door close" took about 15 seconds to react!!

This is the first hotel that I've stayed in that does not replace the amenities in the toilet after you have used them. On the first night, I used the cotton wool for my make up, and for the next 4 days, there was no replacement. The anti-slip mat was really nothing more than a thin sheet of paper and for the entire duration of our stay, that was not replaced either! One of the apartments had some bedroom slippers, the other apartment didn't have any.

Don't get me wrong. It's not ALL bad. The front office staff often wears a smile. There is a coffee machine downstairs (at the main lobby) that you can help yourself to anytime of the day. There are vending machines next to the lifts that dispenses soft drinks and mineral water. The hotel is well within walking distance to Notre Dame and the Louvre, supermarket and cafés.

But given all that I've experienced, don't think the benefits of the location and all the other plus points outweigh the old and tired feeling of this place. Unfortunately this was not a place we all felt happy/look forward to be going back to after a long day of walking outside and enjoying the sight of a lovely Paris.

Ascot should really do something if they want to have returning guests. There's low value for money for this property. Please see pictures to judge for yourselves.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

I thought Citadines was a good brand and hence decided to stay here for a family vacation. But I was wrong. The location is excellent. It's a pity the property owner and Citadines did not use this to build up a really good reputation but instead chose to make minimal investment in the rooms. First, I doubt they even used a proper interior designer. The decor makes me feel like it's the 70s and I don't think this was the intention. It's very drab. Second, the WC and the bathroom are not connected I.e. They are on either side of the entrance to the room. I will leave you to imagine the implications of this design. Third, the water pressure for the shower is very poor. The shower fittings seem to be of a reputable brand but still it's very weak water pressure. Fourth, the sofa bed looks like it has been in use since the 70s. On the plus side, the lobby is ok and the coffee machine in the lobby is decent. But we don't sleep and shower in the lobby. Overall, this is a property that has gone for the cheapest in furnishings where it matters most. Clearly they are not focused on giving the customer a memorable experience but only provide the very basic functional needs. For the price, it's very poor value for money. I am a business owner and was considering using Citadines for my staff in overseas postings but given this experience, we will take our business elsewhere.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
citadines-psg, General Manager at Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Pres Paris, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience you encountered during your previous stay with us.

While we constantly strive to maintain the highest standards of customer satisfaction, regrettably, on this occasion, we have fallen short of our key objective.

We always encourage our residents to bring their concern to the Duty Manager at the time when the issue arises. The purpose is to ensure that his concerns are addressed promptly with the objective of making his stay with us a pleasant one. In this instance, the management of the property was unaware of the incident and is very sorry to learn that you were left with an unpleasant experience. As we have apartments in different layouts, we would have been glad to show you other apartments if your discomfort was made known to us during our stay.

Once again, we would like to apologize for the disappointing stay you had with us. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to change the impression you have of us.

Yours sincerely,

Sandrine D.

Been to Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Pres Paris? Share your experiences!