“excellent hotel in great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg

You added Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg to your Saves list
Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 impasse Royer Collard | 5th Arr., 75005 Paris, France (Quartier Latin)   |
Ranked #1,076 of 1,788 Hotels in Paris
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“excellent hotel in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

this hotel is a 2 min walk from the RER(find exit with escalators) when arriving and leaving. It is situated at a small dead end street in walking distance from major sites. The staff is friendly and the hotel is very clean. Since this hotel is in an old building the rooms are small but comfortable. It has AC so it will keep the room semi cool if you let it run all day. We never had breakfast at the hotel because of the brasserie at the corner. Also a sandwich shop for lunch in the park. We booked on line but e mailed with them regarding rooms. We took all our correspondence which helped a lot. We booked room 25 with vieuw of the rooftops en Eiffel tower.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

We only ended up at this hotel because of a mess up in our booking in another hotel. However we were impressed by the sumptuous decor in the hotel lobby, which is lovely. The gentleman on the front desk was polite and spoke excellent English, even when delivering bad news (in our case, that the RER was going to be on strike the next day and that getting to our planned day at EuroDisney was going to be very difficult - won marks for helping us work though it and getting us there!)

Locationwise it is also very good. Luxembourg is south of the Seine, and from there you can wander through Odeon and into the city centre, or into St Germain. Luxembourg RER station is no more than a stone's throw away. It is classic, atmospheric Paris and you really couldn't get a more quintessentially Parisien location. The area is also dotted with small bars and art shops etc. The road on which the hotel sits is as quiet as you will find in Paris - up a very quiet side street.

The room itself was more typical of a Parisien hotel, being nicely decorated and clean, but on the cramped side. There was nothing wrong with the room, it was just a bit small. The bathroom was fine too, good powerful shower.

The hotel is fine: perfectly nice place to stay and nothing particularly wrong with it apart from a very eccentric lift. That said, it suffers from the classic Paris hotel bugbears of a small room and a view (in our case) of a fire escape and an opposing wall through the window, as well as being a touch on the overpriced side for what was a pretty small room. For the money they're asking for, you can do better.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

I stayed at the hotel for 8 nights in June. The front desk clerk, a lovely young woman, spoke no English so I had to rely on my rudimentary French - a welcome challenge. The room was rather cramped for two people with luggage, but was immaculate. It's balcony is more accurately described as a narrow ledge.

The room overlooked the small, dead-end street. I am very sensitive to street noise, and found that I could hear the traffic sounds wafting into the room from the nearby busy Rue Gay Lussac. I think a room in the rear would be more to my liking. There is a small living room that had a variety of newspapers (including the Intn'l Herald) that were available, gratis, to guests.

The hotel is within walking distance from many points of interest including the Rue Mouffetard market place, Notre Dame, restaurants where the Impressionists ate on Blvd. Montparnasse, St, Germain, Institut du Monde Arabe, and is steps from the Luxumbourg Gardens.

Would I return to the hotel on my next visit? Yes!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
long beach, california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

We stayed here one night when we had an emergency and needed to find somewhere fast and easy. We knew we liked the area, so this was a quick, easy choice.

The room was lovely, just under 200 a night. It was very, very clean, which is of utmost importance as I am a clean freak. However, there was NO FREE WIFI which is a major problem, as far as I'm concerned. The tv choices also sucked, not that we were in the room much, but it would have been nice to have something other than MTV in English.

The street this hotel is on is super, super quiet, and it's literally a block from the Jardin de Luxembourg, which is extremely gorgeous. Would I stay here again? If they offered free wifi, absolutely. In fact, that would up my review one star.

Also, one block away from the RER, but if you want the regular metro without having to transfer, it's a few blocks up. VERY convenient to the airport, which is actually the real reason we chose it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Bruxelles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

After booking the room myself 3 weeks in advance by e-mail and confirming it by phone, and making sure to request a specific room (on the 4th floor, street-side and with a real balcony, not the 4-5 inch ledge), they answered to me that I would get that room. On arrival day, not only did I not receive it, but the guy at the reception desk was pretty rude and condescending when telling me that I should not have expected to get that specific room, even if I asked for it; that I did not know the hotel business; that in the hotel business rooms cannot be assigned in advance; then telling me - contradicting himself - that other people had reserved the room I wanted before me; etc. I then argued that they should at least have told me by e-mail or the phone that they could not secure the specific room requested... At that point, I was ready to leave the hotel and not pay for the remaining nights booked - even not to pay any night and leave the hotel - which, by the way, would have been perfectly legitimate since they had not complied with their written promises by e-mail (and I know French consumer protection law). I stayed for the remaining 4 nights since my girlfriend did not dislike the room and I didn't want to spend the rest of my stay looking for another hotel room.

I imagine that being a native French speaker allowed me to properly argue my case with that rude hotel employee... which would have been different for non native speakers having to deal with uncourteous hotel staff.

Other things to comment on:
- Great breakfast: self-service and "eat-all-what-you-can". Not many French hotels offer this type of breakfast.
- Very small rooms.
- Generally quiet, even street side.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
curitiba
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

Rooms too small, breakfast not so good

• Stayed September 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
santa barbara
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

First trip to Paris for my significant other. This hotel was booked by his travel agent. Our assumption was that breakfast was included in the rate of the hotel. We were told that breakfast would be served from 7am to 11am---so we always started our day there. Upon check out we were charged for 2 breakfasts everyday. Had we known breakfast was not included, we certainly would not have "not enjoyed" their tasteless eggs and days old coffee. Also, don't plan on a shower--no shower doors & the rooms are petite to say the least.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg? Share your experiences!