“don't stay here....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg

You added Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg to your Saves list
Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 impasse Royer Collard | 5th Arr., 75005 Paris, France (Quartier Latin)   |
Ranked #1,077 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Miami Beach, Florida
“don't stay here....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This place was unimaginably bad. Nothng like the pictures we had seen. The room was horrible, small, dark, - and when we got off the elevator to go to our room, the sensor lights in the hallway on our floor never went on - and we found ourselves in total darkness trying to find our door (which by the way had no room number on it!) The little bar they showed was a wooden barrel type table in their tiny entry way. Their little outdoor area was a glassed in area with weeds. We overlooked a dumpster (how appropriate!). The staff were unpleasant. Can't say enough about how bad our experience was. All I can say is - don't stay here....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This was the worst of the 6 hotels we stayed in Europe. The room was tiny and had a motel room kind of feel, and had an odd smell. The "balcony" was a 6" ledge with a railing that all the windows in Paris has.

Worst of all, the toilet wasn't great and got clogged the first night. There was no plunger or toilet brush or anything. I went down to ask for one, and the guy at the desk informed me there was not a single plunger in the entire hotel, and told me I can't expect them to fix it at 10pm (even though I wanted to fix it myself,) and said it was, I quote, "my fault" it got clogged.

The only pluses was that the daytime woman working downstairs was very nice, and the location was pretty good.

For nearly 200 Euros a night, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was shocked at how pathetic this hotel is. I had to go back and look at the pictures on the website to see why I possibly booked this place. The "lobby" and the "bar" consists of a essentially a coffee table with a few bottles on it. There is no comfortable room to sit. The elevator opens up to pitch black hallways and you have to wait for the motion sensors to turn the light on.... Then you will wish it hadn't. The room is so small that we could not open two suitcases at once and you had to close the suitcase to get into the bathroom. What a rip off. Luckily, we were there only one night before heading to the airport. Avoid it!

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
charlottesville, Virginia, ABD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

-great location, 1 rer train from CDG
-got good sleep , rooms are well in terms of darkness and quiet
-helpful and friendly staff
-area is cool, near the university, lively environment
-rooms are a bit small but it's Paris...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

It was OK but for 147 euros a night for two you would like to get more than OK. This didn't include breakfast (another 12 euros) but I avoid the stewed catering coffee of hotel breakfasts whenever I can. And for 7.50 euros we had brilliant breakfasts round the corner in the shadow (the sun did shine for us) of the Sorbonne. The room was small, which didn't matter too much on a hefty sightseeing trip, and the one accessible plug was hanging out of the wall, having been abused no doubt by countless phone and laptop chargers.

We cased other hotels in the area to see if we'd been ripped off - and the evidence in fact suggested that we hadn't. Around the Luxembourg gardens and down along the left bank is a great area, culturally and aesthetically, so maybe it justifies a premium. One of the best bistros ever (Les Papilles) is just round the corner and the Marc Chagall exhibition was across the Boulevard St Michel at the back end of the gardens themselves. A sign outside says it was the hotel Freud stayed in when he first came to Paris. It was the called the Hotel de la Paix, and for all its lack of value and the wailing sirens of the police wagons harassing the anti-gay marriage protesters outside the nearby Senate apart, it certainly lived up to its former name.

In summary, value - not really, adequacy and convenience, I guess so.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I took my daughter to Paris last week for her 17th birthday and was a bit anxious about where to stay as I didn't want to disappoint her but didn't want to pay the earth either. Previously we have stayed in apartments in Montmartre and place de la Concorde areas as a family but it wasn't worth getting an apartment for just the two of us. I like the Left Bank but was aware that it is a very popular, busy and an expensive place to stay. For that reason I was very pleased to stumble on Jardins de Luxembourg whilst trawling through umpteen websites. The reviews on Tripadvisor were mostly very good so I went ahead and booked. I didn't regret it at all. The location is perfect, just a couple of minutes away from the RER station Luxembourg, which gets you to and from Gare du Nord in 15 minutes or less. Yes the rooms are small but very nice and perfectly good for a few days' visit as you are probably not going to spend much time in there anyway. I found the beds really comfortable and slept very well. Yes I did hear the beeping of trucks quite early in the morning as mentioned by another reviewer but that was the only noise I noticed and didn't bother me too much. The bathroom was small but had a bath and shower, towels were soft and plentiful, and the water very hot. Everywhere was very clean and nicely furnished. We had asked for a balcony room and we got one on the second floor; however due to the rain, not much time could be spend out there! It is also pretty small and there was only one chair. The hotel is right round the corner from the famous Jardins and they are lovely though disappointingly not much was in flower this spring due to the long winter which it seems Paris suffered same as UK. You can walk to Notre Dame area in ten minutes down the Boulevard St Michel and then along the river or virtually anywhere in Paris you like. The lively Boul St Germain is really close, loads of shops, restaurants, cafes and bars. Other major attractions such as the Eiffel Tower are a couple of stops away by metro if you don't want to walk. There is a cafe on the corner opposite the hotel where we had breakfast, a boulangerie selling delicious cakes on the other and loads of restaurants up the road round the university. We sampled the Chinese: very nice but like most restaurants in the area rather pricey for what it is (compared to London prices that is). We also ate at the Terazza St Germain which was a very good Italian and in the St Germain market area.

All in all, a very good trip. We enjoyed the hotel and were made to feel welcome by the friendly staff in particular Aurore. I would definitely stay there again on future visits.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony on 2nd and 3rd floor. larger rooms on ground floor. Less noise in rooms at back o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg? Share your experiences!