First, I have to say that I was delighted that another Hilton property had come to Paris. However, right now and after our visit, I would say that this hotel is a work in progress. As I see it, they can either spiral upward or downward. Right now, I would say they were on a downward spiral. My frustrations were many and my delights were few and far between.
1. The concierge service is the shining star of the hotel. The staff was extremely helpful and attentive to our needs. They were always eager to arrange transportation, suggest things to do, and recommend ways of getting around Paris. They are the best!
2. We arrived at 3:00 PM and were told our room was not ready. Check-in is at 2:00PM. I was given another room; however, this room was not what I expected as I was told it was an upgraded room. The room was small. During our stay, Paris experienced the warmest days of the year. Our room was warm (hot) and the AC didn’t seem to help. We had sleepless night due to the room temperature.
3. Breakfast was okay. The selection of foods is quite varied. The downside is that there is only one coffee maker that makes coffee, one cup at a time. The que is long. One day the staff got coffee for us, the other days we were on our own, standing in the que waiting to get a cup of coffee. (Whatever happened to coffee pots? Why are the French so enamored with the ridiculous coffee makers? ) One morning there was no still water on the buffet table. I asked a server for more still water. He brought one bottle and put it on the table without removing the top. I tried and tried to remove the top using the pull tab; but due to arthritis in the fingers, I could not do it. When I asked the server to remove the top, he did so with an attitude.
4. Going to the Executive Lounge was entertaining in itself. The food was tasty and the wine good. Some nights the service was good with the table set with food and wine by 6:00PM. However, on two nights, the server did not begin to set up the table until 6:00PM; therefore, it was almost 6:30 before the table was set and ready for the people in the lounge to get food. One night there was no knife to cut the cheese, no utensils, no napkins, limited number of glasses and plates, no sugar free drinks, etc. It is interesting in that some nights 2-3 people are setting up and serving; while other nights, one person is in charge. The servers run back and forth from the kitchen to the lounge and each time return with one tray, or six bottles of beer, or one serving utensil.
5. We ate in the bar a several times. Again, the service was inconsistent. The food was okay; however, the menu is very limited. The surroundings are absolutely beautiful.
6. Housekeeping. The room was clean. However, it was not always stocked well with toiletries and other items for the bathroom. Also, I would leave a tip and a request for additional items. The staff took the tip, but did not grant our request. For some reason, this really irritates me.
7. The location of this Hilton is good. It is close to the Metro and taxis are always available. There are good restaurants right across the street.
8. This is a grand, historic building; however, there was no information available regarding the history of the hotel, how Hilton came acquired the property, etc. (The Hilton Paddington in London at least provides a history of the hotel. The information is in each guest room.) We would have loved to read about this hotel.
9. Other reviews indicate that they are doing very well. I hope that the hotel management gets a handle of some of these issues.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience classic Parisian elegance at the newly renovated Hilton Paris Opera hotel; a landmark building which features a magnificent lobby decorated with crystal chandeliers, marble columns, bronze statues and stunning art pieces by Charles Joseph Lameire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton EMEA, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Hilton Paris Opera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Concorde Opera Paris Hotel Paris
- Concorde Saint Lazare Hotel
- Concorde St Lazare
- Hotel Concorde Saint Lazare