“Close to Gare du Nord & metros” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Pavillon Opera
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38, rue de l'Echiquier | 10 Arr., 75010 Paris, France   |
Ranked #1,240 of 1,794 hotels in Paris
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Close to Gare du Nord & metros”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Booked this hotel due to location as it was easy to find. Booked a twin room however on checking in they allocated us a very small room with a small double bed, we went back to reception and they sorted a twin room for us, staff were vey helpful. it was a bit noisy at night due to deliveries and bin collection. Area was good, felt quite safe.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I don't know if the problem happened just to me, but my room the A/C was leaking, they tried to fix 5 times, the "free wifi" didn't work from my room (207) the phone also did not work, this I didn't ask to fix, to avoid mis call at night

In my opinion this hotel is 2 stars, the breakfast was good, the location is near to subway, but you cannot go to left (leaving the hotel) because it is dangerous (according to hotel's front desk)

Bourne, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed three nights at this hotel, which we chose because it is close to Gare du Nord and we had early reservations for the trip home. The rate was fantastic too, which we booked through the hotel's website. That part worked out perfectly. However, the neighborhood is a bit dicey, but not unsafe. It seems to be a garment business neighborhood. The decor is definitely tired. My room was on the premiere etage, just over the front door. The curtains didn't close tightly so the room was light all night from the outside spotlights. It was also noisy at night. However, the room was very spacious, especially when compared to other Parisian hotels that we've stayed at, and a tremendous value.

Room Tip: Request a room not on the street, and perhaps a higher floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Winston-Salem, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

It is no secret that this hotel is tired. It's also no secret that it needs some love. Those are givens. It is a great location, though. The rooms are not roomy, but they're not small cubes, either. The bathroom of the room we stayed in was a bit cramped and the bathtub/shower was unusually high. I'm 6'2" tall and I still had some troubles getting in and out. It did have towel warmers but we never used them. The street was a bit noisy during the day and some during the night. The lobby was charming and the elevator was a cage-style (even though it really was just a regular lift inside with telephone booth styled doors) and was quaint and cute. It was slow, but in this town, why would you be in a rush? The receptionist was very nice, her English good, and she was very valuable in explaining the city and its maneuverings to us.

The restaurant was, at best, average. The food was buffet style with bunsen burner warmers. The eggs had a tendency to be cool and the meats were all somewhat dry. We went down and had some drinks one night. Getting the bartender to wait on us - he was also the waiter for the restaurant side - was a bit of a chore. Our drinks were empty and we were sucking ice cubes and he may sashay over, eventually. The beds (as most I found in Europe) are twins pushed together to make queens or bigger, and I found them to be quite comfortable. I have sleep apnea and although I did purchase a converter for my CPAP, there wasn't an outlet anywhere near the bed and I didn't have an extension cord. I think they could put outlets closer to the bed, but that's neither here nor there.

The neighbors were very loud and the walls were somewhat thin. Every conversation, had we spoken better French, would have been heard plainly. Again, with old buildings in this city, as with all of Europe, you expect this, but it was louder than expected.

Also, on the next-to-last night that we were there, there was a inopportune fire alarm that had everyone up and in the lobby, which was oddly unattended, at 4:30am. That's not something that happens all the time and has no real bearing on this review, but I thought it an interesting anecdote.

Again, I say it is in a great location. Not far from two (pick your course) metro stops, every thing in the city is but minutes away. Not in the bustling parts of town but accessible to all the Paris amenities you'd expect to see. Hotel Pavillon Opera is a decent hotel; a bit over priced and no better than a 3-star establishment, but certainly a decent option. I'd be inclined to stay again, however there are definitely better places to choose from. But, if it comes on your radar, give it a chance.

Room Tip: We believe the rooms down the corridors are quieter than those on Rue de l'Echiquier, but we can...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntingtown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Hotel Pavillon Opera is a quaint French Hotel located in the 2nd arrondissement. The facility has six floors with a single, small lift just off the lobby. The lift is of the "exposed" variety and has a staircase encircling it to the top floor. The rooms are clean and have a lot of room for a European hotel. The breakfast buffet is excellent.
The staff were extremely helpful with directions and advice and they spoke English well. The location is about two blocks from Blvd de Bonne Nouvelle which is an exceptional "people watching" area and an easy walk to the Paris Metro.

Room Tip: If possible, get a room on the rear of the hotel as they are very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Telford, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I spent 6 nights in Paris at the end of May. Primarily to go to the French Open but also to do some sightseeing of the more popular tourist attractions. We found this hotel on Expedia and booked it based upon their recommendation. From the moment we arrived we realised we had made a HUGE mistake! Located on a back street in one of the more notorious parts of Paris, the 'gangs' of men that hung around the streets at nights made us feel quite vulnerable. It was common place to see them urinating in the streets and fights/arguments were common place. On to the hotel itself. We were allocated a room on the 3rd floor and took one of 2 lifts to the room. Both were a disgrace and were battered and shabby. On arriving at the room, I told my wife not to bother unpacking the case as we weren't staying in the room. The wallpaper was peeling from the walls in places, the tiling around the bath had black mouldy spots and the room smelled damp. Straight back to reception where we were then allocated another room which, to be fair, was cleaner and of a better standard. We unpacked then had a walk around the hotel to 'get our bearings'. That evening we walked to the Seine (about 30 minutes stroll) and found a restaurant for dinner. There are lots of reasonably good restaurants in the area if you want somewhere closer to the hotel after a long tiring day of sightseeing. The next morning we went for breakfast and found that it was a typical buffet style. Unfortunately, the hot foods (Bacon, Scrambled Eggs) were not kept hot and the cheese/meats were not kept chilled. So it was bread and jam most mornings as I would not risk eating food not kept at the correct temperature! The corridors of the hotels were terrible. The carpets were dirty and stained, wallpaper torn and was just run down and shabby. We sat in the small bar area one afternoon for a drink and this area was also not ver clean or cared for either. The dusty TV was amazing! I could rant on for hours about this hotel but will finish by saying. If you want true 4 star hotel, DO NOT stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Costantino C, Directeur général at Hotel Pavillon Opera, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Glenn J,
I am sorry to hear from you that the hotel didn't meet your expectations. We value your comments, and we always try to make the necessary steps to make things right for our customers.
We agree with you that the hotel is in need of a complete refurbishment, and I am happy to inform you that the renovation project has already started. We don't have a calendar yet, but I am confident that the works will start as soon as we can.
Let me although disagree with you regarding the location. The Hotel Pavillon Opera is located just on the back of the Grand Boulevards, on Rue de l 'Echiquier. I'm sorry to hear that you felt vulnerable with some gangs you may have met, but this is not the rule and I can say that the area itself is quite safe. There may be areas where you wouldn't like to be at night in Paris, but our staff is always ready to inform our guests about it.
Regarding the breakfast buffet, again I apologize if we didn't meet your expectations. I must say however that we have proper chafing dishes to keep our buffet food (bacon, eggs, sausages) warm.
Again, thank you for your comments.

Costantino Caneparo
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel is close to the metro station. Staff on the desk were helpful and friendly. The rooms are average for an hotel of this rating. The breakfast was absolutely brilliant! The best i've had in Paris. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Pavillon Opera? Share your experiences!