“Dreadful” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Il Lotti

Il Lotti
9, rue de Castiglione, 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Palais-Royal)
33 1 42 60 60 62
Neighborhood: Louvre / Palais-Royal
Paris, France
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I used to go often to the Lotti. One of the more discrete and elegant hotels and restaurants in that area.There's a rather nice inner courtyard with space between the tables, and the dining room is spacious. The food used to be decent, but very boring and over-priced. Please note, the courtyard has a different menu to the "chic" restaurant, but it is the same kitchen. (I live around the corner.)

I went again last summer for dinner in the courtyard, after several years. I hadn't reserved (we were three) and was surprised to be told when I called that I could come whenever, no reservation necessary... They no longer had the bar/buffet there, and there was only one waiter on duty for a dozen tables or so.

My parents ordered Caesar salads. I ordered a burger (figured, no risk there).

After one hour, we still had not been served...

The waiter was deeply apologetic -- in fact, he was the only person who made any effort to make sure guests were properly welcomed. (The doorman allowed the door to slam in my father's face!)

Finally, the two salads arrived. And then 10 mins later the burger. Cold, overcooked.. Soggy deep frozen and chiled fries. Again, the waiter apologised profusely, explaining there was a fight between kitchen and management, and this was the kitchen's revenge...

I sent it back, and received a new burger another twenty minutes later. Another dud.

I figured there's no point flogging a dead horse, we paid and left. On the way out I asked the front desk for the manager. The girl went into a side office, and I heard shouting. She came out again and shame-faced told me to come back the next day!

I pushed the door open and found the assistant manager cowering at his desk. This was actually amusing and starting to make up for what had been a dreadful evening. The assistant manager told me that he was "in no way responsible for the restaurant, and that it was the end of his shift, and that they were planning on firing everyone in the kitchen."

I told him the least he could do was apologise to the guests instead of leaving it to the lone waiter. He asked for my card, and told me the manager would call the next day to explain, and to reimburse me for the meal. Needless to say, I have never heard from anyone at the Lotti.

So, consider yourselves warned -- there are many mediocre hotel restaurants in Paris, but this one is by far the worst I have ever set foot in.

Oh, and the bill for the two salads, a burger and the cheapest bottle of wine came to around €90.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Oslo, Norway
“Average food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Resturant look nice. The food is average. The prize for the food is to high for this resturant. It was a bad chooice.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kiev, Ukraine
“Nice seating, but average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We walked in after our shopping in Galerie Lafayette and were very surprised that they had a table, withou reservation. The reastaurant is spacious, you don't sit on someone's head, like in many restaurants in Paris. The waiter were really nice, friendly and helpful, but the food was nothing special, just ok.
So it's a nice place to eat after hard day shopping, but don't expect anything special from the food.

• Visited September 2011