“Lovely Hotel with Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Britannique

You added Hotel Britannique to your Saves list
Hotel Britannique
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 avenue Victoria | 01 Arr., 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Place Vendôme)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #48 of 1,792 Hotels in Paris
A TripAdvisor Member
“Lovely Hotel with Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2006

My fiance and I just returned from Paris and were extremely happy with our stay at Hotel Brittanique. The decor is charming, the location is terrific, and the staff was wonderful. Our room was kept spotlessly clean, and the spacious bathroom with tub and shower was much bigger than I would have expected for Paris.

The rooms are not large, but I expected that in Paris when paying only $170 per night. My fiance and I had no problem with the space for two people and two suitcases. We stayed in the standard double room and had a queen sized bed, two bed-side tables, and a small desk with chair and footstool, and a flat screen TV. The view from our room was also terrific, and since the hotel is situated on a quiet street there was no problem with noise.

The location can't be beat, as you are only a few blocks from the Louvre and one block from a very central metro station (Chatelet) where you can get on most of the metro lines in the city (including the train that goes to and from the CDG airport).

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to spend less than $200 per night who wants to stay in a charming hotel that is impeccably clean, with great service and a central location.

• Stayed January 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Finnish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2006

I will try to refrain from simply complaining about this hotel, because that doesn't help anyone....but I was pretty disappointed here.

Bottom line first, in case you don't want the winded version....if you have the money to book the largest room possible, this can be an acceptable place to stay...although overpriced at that level. The small rooms should be around $100...no more.

Good things;

The people that work here happen to be very nice.

The location is very central, although a few blocks in the wrong direction at night can be scary if you're not used to big cities. Homeless, etc...

The bathroom was clean, although musty smelling from no working fan.

When they realized they messed up my room reservation, they did try to offer some alternatives as they became available...but none were any better than the room in which we were originally placed.

Cute lounge.

Bad things;

Musty bathroom.

They messed up my reservation (reserved for the wrong month). I was subsequently placed in the smallest room I have ever seen (the only room available). While peeking around SOME rooms seemed slightly larger, but do NOT book the standard double room if you expect to be able to fit you and your luggage in the room at the same time. Perspective, the room measured less than 8' x 8'. Again, I feel like complaining and adding sarcastic comments about one person having to walk across the bed if the other person was standing, due to lack of room to pass on the floor, but I will stop there.

When I was shown a "larger" room it was about 2 feet longer, although no wider, but had no tub only a shower. We stayed in the smaller room. Our choice at that point.

I was offered a discount as atonement for the mistake. When I was billed, the discount was listed as "winter promotion" so obviously a deal that was being offered anyway. And a deal that I wouldn't have been made aware of and hence would have paid more than I had to pay had they not messed up my reservation.

If you travel with a back pack maybe a good option. If you have two normal suitcases, you will feel trapped if you spend more than a day or two.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

This was my first trip to Paris and the hotel exceeded what I expected for what I payed. The location was great and I was able to walk to many attractions and the main metro line (Chatelet). I would highly recommended this hotel to anyone. The staff was helpful and polite and the rooms were cute and very clean.

Norfolk, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2006

Chose the Britannique for our 7th visit to Paris and it is definitely the best 3 star hotel and the best location yet. Beautiful little room, exceptionally clean, lovely touches such as fluffly white bathrobes and Annik Goutal toiletries and your own safe. Wonderful view from our room on 6th floor, we could see the ice skaters skating outside the Hotel de Ville. Terrific location for eveything you may want to see. DO have the breakfast, at E13 it's incredible value for Paris. Cornflakes, muesli, fresh fruit salad, scrambled or boiled eggs, good yoghurt, fruit compote, all types of bread, rolls, pain raisin, pain chocolat, croissants, nice juices, iced water, two types of ham, little sausages, cheeses, nuttella, jams, etc. Plus point you help yourself to everything and take a teapot and make your own tea just as you like it. You won't get all that in a cafe! The little lounge with the leather and velvet sofas is lovely for a pot of tea and staff very friendly. I would not want to stay anywhere else now. The lift is no smaller than most Paris hotel lifts which take max 3 persons. There are even hotel umbrellas in the lobby to borrow. Very nice 'home' shop next door and interesting little shops in the area, but Rue Rivoli and large shops just round the corner. Le Reminet restaurant, 3 rue des Grands Degres, highly recommended. About £75 for lovely meal, good bottle of wine and coffee for two. Very tiny so need to book. He opens at 7.30pm. Real cooking, not tourist food.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2006

I stayed here Dec 12 - 15. Very cute hotel. Do not eat breakfast here - as in another review - go to the pastry shop around the corner mmmmm! Room was very small but it was clean and very nice. Elevator was the smallest elevator I have ever been in. Staff was very helpful and spoke English. Taxi pickup was a short walk - very nice. ATM was very close. Would probably not stay here again just because I would want to try another hotel in a different location. Enjoyed the tiny balcony.

Co. Antrim, N. Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2006

We chose to stay at the Britannique after reading the other reviews from this website and it definitely did not disappoint. The room was small but very lavishly furnished, far better than higher grade hotels that you would stay in in London.

The hotel was perfectly situated, and although it was my third trip to Paris, I was able to see far more during this visit than I saw during the previous two visits combined.

The staff are extremely helpful and booked our restaurant tables, as well as giving us excellent directions to the various venues.

The Chatellet des Halles metro is literally 10 metres from the front door, although you would never know it, as there is no vibration, noise, or hectic pedestrian traffic in the area.

We will definitely be back. We couldn't have asked for anything more for the price - in my opinion a complete bargain.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

We just got back from visiting Paris in December for the first time. The hotel was perfect. There was actually nothing that we could complain about. The rooms are small, but thats what most of the hotel rooms are like in europe. The room was very comfortable and very clean. With our room facing the main street, we couldnt hear any noise from the traffic. The only time we did is when we opened our lovely french doors to the balcony. The decor was nice giving a lovely french feel. And the staff were always kind and helpful.

It is in such a great location, because you are 20meters away from the main metro, and when you cross the street you are right on the Seine River! and took us only 10mins to walk to the Louvre. The area itself in which you are is beautiful. We came across some of the worse areas in Paris and Hotel Britannique in definately not in one of them. There is a very nice but a bit expensive restaurant just across the road on the left side corner called Le Zimmers, the food is very french and delicious. And when you walk out to your right around the corner is a cute little Patisserie/cafe with yummy rolls and cakes.

All round Hotel Britannique made our trip unforgetable. We will be definately be staying there again on our next trip coming up next year.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Hotel Britannique? Share your experiences!