“Great affordable hotel in terrific central Paris location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel Folkestone Opera

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Hotel Folkestone Opera to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hotel Folkestone Opera
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Rue Castellane, FR 75008 Paris, France (Champs-Élysées)   |
Ranked #98 of 1,794 hotels in Paris
Horsham, Australia
“Great affordable hotel in terrific central Paris location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

This was our second stay at the Folkestone and again it didn't let us down. I can't believe some reviewers called it expensive, it's cheaper than some crummy hotels in suburban Melbourne (Aust) and here you are within an easy walk of the centre of Paris, the most wonderful city in the world!!! The staff are always so friendly and helpful,including the lovely dining ladies. Our room was just perfect. So cosy and clean with the added bonus of the most adorable balcony complete with table, chairs and pot-plants,overlooking the street below. There is a great Partisserie, a grocery store and a terrific butchery that has fabulous meats and cheeses at such realistic prices, plus plenty of really excellent eating places , all in the same street as the hotel . I would recommend the Folkestone to anyone but if you are wanting a huge room with all the Big Hotel trappings ,for ten times the price!, then perhaps it isn't your type of Hotel

441 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I spent 7 nights in this hotel with my wife and 1 year old daughter and we loved the place.

I requested a room with 2 single beds were I can push them together and get a slightly bigger bed than a double bed (I thought so) so my daughter can share it with us. On my arrival they told me that the room I requested is ready and they've prepared another room that they recommend as it has more space to accommodate a baby crib (which they provided). I ended up staying in the room they recommended with the same rate.

Room was very clean and in a very good shape, size of the room was OK but I think this is the case everywhere in Paris. Elevator was a bit small but enough to take the 3 of us and a folded stroller.

Location of the hotel is great. 5 minutes walk to both Madeline & Hauvre-Caumartin metro stations which almost makes the whole city accessible. The area was very nice, busy in the morning and quite at night which allowed for a very good sleep. Very good location for shopping, the whole area is full of shops and very close to Printemps & Lafayette.

There is a small grocery shop in the next building which stays up late (until 11PM). The area has a couple of nice restaurants. Specially a pizzeria at the end of the street to the left which the hotel staff recommended and turned out to be great.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

This was the second time I have stayed here. The last time was June 2009, and I posted a review then too. This time it was just my 12 year old daughter and me. We arrived at Gare St Lazare from Bayeux and left the next day for CDG airport using the Roissy bus. It was about a 15 min walk to each.

The hotel is very nice, with more character than you would expect from a Best Western but less than at a B&B, where we usually prefer to stay. The rooms were quite clean, and the elevator was working fine. We arrived about 10AM, checked in, and left our bags. We returned after dinner to be assigned our room. The room had 2 twin beds and not a lot of other space, we basically sat or lay on the beds and our 2 22 in roller suitcases took up most of the free floor space, although we could still walk around them. There are blackout blinds on the windows which worked fine (automatic metal things).

We had the breakfast included in our rate as I didn't want to deal with finding breakfast before we left for the airport. It was adequate, a buffet with breads, cold cuts, tea/coffee, yogurt, and a place to make soft boiled (I guess you could make hard boiled too) eggs, which we didn't use. I think it is 15€ if it's not included, which is pricey. If staying longer, I would just find a bakery. Someone on the Paris forum listed some nearby for me, but we didn't go looking. There are quite a few restaurants in walking distance, but many of them seemed to be closed on Sun. (We stayed on Sun night.)

I think if staying longer I might want someplace with more character and larger rooms, but this was excellent for our 1 night stay, and I would stay there again. Very convenient for arrival at St Lazare and departing by Roissybus. There are several metro stations within a 10 min walk.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Northern Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Stayed 6 nights with husband, 2 teenagers, and my parents. Our request to have adjacent rooms was honored. The hotel is so small that you really need only be on the same floor and you will be close to everyone else on that floor (important to us as we we were traveling together and with teenagers.) Rooms and beds are very small, but that seems to be the norm for Paris. All our rooms were are on the 4th floor (404, 406, and 408) and faced the courtyard, which is just a driveway and parking area, so we had no view of anything, but it was very quiet. With the AC on at night it was very quiet. Extra pillows and a fan were available when I asked for them. Breakfast was awesome and well worth the price (relative to Paris prices.) There is no in room coffee which I guess is also typical Paris. The free wi-fi worked well. They did provide washcloths. The elevator was small and dangerous to slow-moving people, but it was functional during our entire stay. The in-room safe requires a 50 euro cash deposit and does not work by combination, but by key. It did not fit our 15inch HP laptop. There is a computer and printer for use in the lobby. The location is great, convenient to everything, but on a very quiet street. There seemed to be a good percentage of business travelers there. The staff was nice and all spoke English. The price was decent for that part of Paris. They did try to say I made a phone call I didn't make, which was particularlly odd because it happened to us a week later in London too. Not sure what's up with that, but when I was firm that we did not make any outside calls, the staff did not press the issue and we did not pay. Overall, great base for exploring Paris.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Ripon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Great location for tourists: near metro stop, gare St. Lazare, Champs, restaurants....even a small grocery store next door. Friendly, multi-lingual staff (esp. Virginie). Nice breakfast.
Room small, but clean, quiet and comfortable; good A/C.

Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

We stayed here for one night, and would definately use this hotel again. Although the rooms are quite small, and the hotel is quite expensive, the location is very central with all sights within a reasonable walk. The staff were very helpful and give us tips on what to see. The breakfast was also good and provided a decent start to the day, all within in a charming breakfast room. Given that Paris is a very expensive city, this hotel does offer reasonable value for money and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

This hotel is ok, the location is good and the room we had was clean and tidy. The rooms are small though so for an extended stay we would probably go elsewhere. The air-con was working but not very well, so we had a few hot nights. No real views from the windows. The staff were helpful and spoke English well enough for us to ask questions. Would stay somewhere else next time, but not an unhappy experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Folkestone Opera? Share your experiences!