“Beautiful Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ares Paris

You added Hotel Ares Paris to your Saves list
Hotel Ares Paris
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 rue du General de Larminat | 15 Arr. (Tour Eiffel), 75015 Paris, France   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #15 of 1,788 Hotels in Paris
Thornhill, Canada
“Beautiful Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed here during our honeymoon and our first time in Paris. The hotel is extremely clean, beautifully decorated and the staff is SOO kind, welcoming and helpful. I think we got the smallest room available, it was pretty small but it was still really cozy and the showers were amazing with Hermes toiletries!!! The only thing about this hotel that was a little inconvenient was the location. It was close to the Eiffel tower but it wasn't very close to the other main attractions in Paris, however I believe this to be the reason why you can get a really good price here!... (places closer to the other attractions are MUCH more expensive for this quality hotel). Overall I DEFINITELY recommend this place!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed here - - or rather, didn't stay here, depending on your interpretation - - during a 12-day trip through Europe in October of 2011. We landed in Paris for one night before setting out for England and Germany, and for that initial night, used the Renaissance Place Vendome, which was outstanding. Based on reviews here, and the relatively low cost, we decided to stay at the Ares for three nights on our return to Paris to close out the trip. We just narrowly averted disaster.

First off, if you do decide to stay at this place for some reason, be sure to get detailed routing info to the hotel from the hotel via e-mail. We didn't, and the cab driver took 10-15 minutes of trial and error and mapreading to find the very small side street upon which the hotel sits. Check-in was fine, about what I expected for a boutique hotel in Paris, where I've traveled before. The staffer at the reception desk was polite, but certainly not overly welcoming or warm. There was no offer of assistance with luggage, which, again, is to be expected for this sort of property. The elevator is absolutely tiny and not for the claustrophobic.

The room cleanliness and overall appearance was exactly what I expected based on the TripAdvisor reviews; very pretty linens and drapery, huge bathroom with a window, plenty of space if you understand the general size of Paris hotel rooms. (Some reviews here say the rooms are small - - they aren't, not for Paris anyway.) Immediately, however, we noticed the distinct musty odor of cigarette smoke, which was disappointing for a nonsmoking room. I figured that the A/C would take care of it, and went to activate it, but found that I couldn't.

I went downstairs to ask the staffer at the front desk what was wrong, and she told me (not rudely, but not very apologetically either) that since it was "so cold" outside, she had disabled the A/C for the entire hotel. This meant that there was no circulated air of any kind inside the room; no heat, no A/C, no central fan blowing uncooled air from the vents. As we continued our discussion in French, she told me that "in winter, there is no air conditioning." I'll grant her that it wasn't 80 or 90 degrees F outside (it was about 60-65 during the day and maybe 50 or a touch lower at night during our visit), but October isn't winter, and there's a difference between "no air conditioning" and "no central air." Both my wife and I have mild allergies and we need some sort of air circulating - - particularly if there's a lingering air of cigarette smoke from a recent guest. The staffer's solutions were to tell me to open the windows and to offer me an ancient-looking fan to carry back up to the room. The window solution was out of the question, as the Ares has large windows with no screens, and we weren't trying to deal with insects and perhaps even a bird in our room. The portable fan, of course, was unacceptable. I told her that this probably wouldn't work and that I would be back down soon to let her know. She said that was fine.

I returned to my room, and my wife and I thankfully located a room at the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe (which was far more expensive but wonderful) for the remainder of our stay. We left, having sat in two of the chairs and logged on to the high-speed Internet. We were at the property for just over an hour.

Sadly, but unsurprisingly, the front desk staffer was totally rigid and unwilling to waive the night's charges. She told me archly that I should have e-mailed the hotel in advance, and she would have readily told me all about the coerced deactivation of the air conditioning. I told her that wasn't my obligation, and since the hotel claims on its website that it offers air conditioned rooms, the hotel needs to live up to that promise. I simply didn't understand why any guests who didn't want A/C couldn't turn it off in their rooms, leaving any of us who did want to have some air moving around with that option. No dice! (I suspect the A/C might have been broken, but if so, she certainly wasn't telling.)

In any event, although she had not taken my credit card upon check-in, I certainly didn't want to break any laws, so I handed it over and she happily charged us for the full night's stay - - about 350 Euros. She offered no apology and (even though we had seven bags) did not volunteer to call us a taxi. We walked to one of the nearby major streets, got a taxi, and went over to the Renaissance, thankfully enjoying it thoroughly regardless of the far greater cost.

I followed up directly with the hotel by e-mail after returning home a few days later; they didn't even bother to answer me. No refund or reduction in the price was made, and the full charge appeared on my credit card statement as I expected.

I realize that a lot of TripAdvisor registrants wouldn't care about this sort of situation, and a lot of people wouldn't want anything to do with air conditioning in Paris in October. Completely understood. However, the point of this review is not really in the details but in the big picture - - the Ares is fully prepared to mislead you about at least one of their claimed amenities (two, if you count the "no smoking" room that wasn't), and if you complain, they won't do a darn thing about it, and in fact will blithely ignore your request for a refund or price reduction later. So, if you're prepared to take that risk, the hotel is well-maintained and in a nice, well-located neighborhood once you find it - - just hope that you don't have any complaints! And, of course, if you like to have air circulating in your room during a "transition" month like October, April, or May - - forget it.

Naturally, I will never stay at this place again. In fact, this experience has sadly soured me on all Paris boutique hotels. I'll be sticking with full-service establishments going forward. With the Ares, you definitely get what you pay for - - or in our case, you pay for it even if you don't get it.

Lowest possible recommendation. Everything a hotel should not be.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ares15, Owner at Hotel Ares Paris, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Dear MJN, I have readen all your comment and I have to say that I will not judge it but will explain the facts so the readers can make their own idea. You forgot to say that one hour after your checked in, you came down the first time to say that the price of the room was not correct but the clerck showed you that the price we applied was the same that you had on your confirmation. You did'nt say anything about the fact the room had a smell of smoke or about your allergy. After another hour, you came down saying that the air condition was not working. The period you have been in our hotel, the temperatuer outside was five degrees celsius (41 farenheit) so we were using the heating like as usual for this temperature. You could have turn it off. Again, you did not speak about your allergy when you checked out almost two hours later, but just mentionned that tou will complain, what you did here on Tripadvisor. We only knew about his allergy reading Tripadvisor comment. If the air condition is heating or cooling it doesn't make any difference with the quality of the air. You can check with your doctor. So considering your bad faith. I think you made a mistake making two reservation for the same night in two different hotels and you tried to find one excuse for not paying or getting a reduction on the price of the room. But we have cancellation policy saying very clearly that you have to make the cancellation at least 24 hours before. You used the room for two hours and you did not want pay using false excuses. I am sorry but but is not a game. If all the people was doing like you you can imagine what would happen to my business and I cannot authorise this.Perhaps you did not give attention but we have the the biggest number of five points (734) in Paris and we will continue to wark hard to increase this number of satisfied customers.
Best regards
Enrico Casimirri - Owner
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I have been in paris for holydays and our choice was the ares eiffel because they have rooms for four people and i have to little childs , we loved the ares for the very good test how it was remoderned , the choice of the materials of an exellent qualyty , the staff is really gentle and you feel like home, they are ready to give you always advices for restaurants shows near by or in all paris .the breakfast is great buffet ,the amazing just seven minutes to walk and three lines metro just behind the corner. me athis hotelnd my fmily we were very happy with this hotel and we recommend it very strongly

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

The room was great with three beautiful balcony windows and large bathroom. The metro is so close and allows you to get around central paris in minutes. This makes the location excellent. One metro stop takes you to a range of nice eating places. The hotel is around the corner from a really well equipped gym with complimentary entry for hotel guests and there is also a good thai massage place very close by. The staff were really friendly and helpful and went out of their way to ensure they could answer questions accurately. This aspect of the service was a stand out feature of the hotel. Very prompt and reliable with ordering taxis. Would have appreciated a nespresso machine in the room, as there are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room.

Room Tip: Corner rooms probably best as more balcony windows
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Room was clean and comfortable; not luxurious. No problems with noise. Staff were friendly; did not always have best recommendations for dining. Great location.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed at Ares for a romantic weekend, chosen for it's location, we got a pretty good deal on the price too seen the quality of the rooms.
The location is optimal, few steps away from Champ de Mars, the area is full of small restaurants and cafés, even the walk downtown is not too long, there is however, a very handy underground stop 50 meters from the hotel.
The staff was very friendly and assisted us when we needed anything.
The room had an excellent quality to it, very comfortable bed, everything was branded.
The only cons were that the rooms were a bit cramped and the tini corridors were impossible to go around carring around a suitcase. Breakfast was not included, wich was a bit weird, however the nice cafés all around were very good options.
Overall a good hotel, will be happy to visit again next time in Paris.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend and were very satisfied with the room and the service (although we didn't take advantage of all things). It is very central yet located on a side street so it is very quiet. The hotel staff was very friendly and attentive yet they steered us to some really touristy places for dinner (we took their first suggestion, yet shunned all others which were located suspiciously near the hotel). Reasonably priced - fair value for the money. We might stay here again if we go back to Paris, although there are other comparably priced boutique hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room if available.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ares Paris? Share your experiences!