“Fantastic Location and the Most Comfortable Beds in Paris” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 rue Scribe, 75009 Paris, France (Opera / Bourse)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #228 of 1,792 Hotels in Paris
New York, NY
“Fantastic Location and the Most Comfortable Beds in Paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have been to Paris dozens of times and have stayed at a variety of 5 and 4 star hotels and I can honestly say that this hotel was excellent. It is well situated (just steps from Gallerie Lafayette on Boulevard Hausemann) and a 5 minute walk from the Place Vendome, and the sights of the 1st Arrondisment and quite comfortable with an understated luxury. The hotel has a fantastic history and has hosted ilustrious guests such as Marcel Proust and Josephine Baker (both of whom have floors named and styled after them). It was also the place where the Lumiere Brothers showed the first motion picture ever!

The room was quite spacious and well appointed and the beds, with soft feather mattress toppers, down comforters and 1000 thread count sheets were insanely comfortable and luxurious (which is actually quite hard to find in Europe where even at most 5 star hotels beds tend to be rather hard and spasely appointed). The only real problem with my room was the size of the clothes closet. My closet was less than 2 ft wide and had virtually no room to hang anything. I was there for 3 days and had to keep most of my clothes in my suitcase because I had no place for them. So, if you have a lot of clothes or are coming for a long trip this could be an inconvenience.

The breakfast buffet is the basement, and had most everything one would want, though the service was a bit haphazard (during my stay they routinely ran out of drinking glasses, croissants and other items).

My final piece of advice is NOT to dine in the hotel restaurant, Le Lumiere. We went on our last night because it was a Sunday and many options were closed and the food was overpriced and absolutely horrendous. You'd be better of dining at a McDonalds than dining here. It was truly that bad. But, of course, you are in Paris, so why would you ever dine in a hotel restaurant anyway when you have SO many magnificent options surrounding you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Nadjet B, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Scribe Paris managed by Sofitel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear client,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

The Hotel Scribe Paris is located in the heat of Paris; which is a very vibrant neighborhood. It was built at the same time as the famous Opera Garnier by Baron Haussman. It was turned to a hotel, sixty years after its completion; therefore providing an uncommon layout.

The “MyBed” beds as you have rightfully mentioned, are very comfortable. They were exclusively designed for Sofitel Hotels.

Allow me to express my sincerest apologies have you not been satisfied with our restaurant. The Lumière restaurant is rewarded with one star at the Michelin Guide and I am stricken to read this has not been a good experience to you.

We would be happy to welcome you again at the Hotel Scribe Paris and offer you a Magnifique experience.

Kind regards,

Nadjet Bennaceur
Guest Relation Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

this has been one of the best Paris hotels I stayed so far. However, I think the price was also expensive (EUro 500plus) so if you do not mind the price, you will not end up being disappointed.

On another hand, I have also stayed in very close hotels that were 1/4 of the price of this one and the quality difference was not 4 times.

All in all, this is a nice hotel, but perhaps if you are willing to pay more than Euro500plus, then there could be other nice ones too. I can, the very least say that this one will not disappoint you, if you do not mind the price.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Merci for writing a review about your stay at the Hotel Scribe Paris.

I am delighted to read you think of our establishment as one of the best in Paris.
The high rates are due to the extremely busy season; many fairs, exhibitions, shows and so on take place in Paris over the fall period.

Whenever you plan another trip to Paris, please feel free to contact us the earliest so we can provide you with competitive rates.

Nadjet Bennaceur
Guest Relation Manager
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Lovely rooms and very pleasant concierge's on staff..Everyone was so helpful and took care of our every need..I would highly recommend Hotel Scribe..Excellent location and attentive to detail to make one's stay with them an experience worth repeating..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

stayed 1 night, after arrival at hotel / room, found some itrms wanting. 1. direction at floor level was wrong, sign pointed right when room was actually on the left side. 2. showerhead was damaged and affected the water pressure, extremely frustrating. 3. shower area not built logically, water splashes as shower is combined with bathtub. 4. tv remote was missing.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Brisley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the Scribe as part of a Horse Racing Abroad package to the Arc de Triomphe horse race. It is an attractive hotel in a great location, near Charles Garnier's magnificent and overblown Opera house.
On arrival in our room we were dismayed. We had booked a room with twin beds and our room had a big double bed. The remote for the tv did not work. These glitches however were fixed promptly.
Coffee at breakast was dire - cold, stewed and virtually undrinkable. The staff were inattentive and I had to wave my arms around to attract attention to be served with a hot drink when my friend joined me.
We had no extras, I did not even see a mini bar, but the following week my credit card bill came in and I had been charged 59 euros. Apparently we had downed this much booze. No one had given me a bill before we left, when of course I would have been able to dispute it, and we did not leave the hotel until one pm, having checked out and given them our luggage for safe keeping at around 9.45pm.
Of course I am in dispute with them and expect my 59 euros to be refunded but it is irritating and time wasting and very sloppy of them not to have given me a bill before I left if they thought I owed them money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Laguna Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were very happy with our choice of the Scribe which was one of the several hotels offered through Costco. The service was excellent, fast and friendly. The room may have been small by U.S. standards but was very comfortable, well-appointed and with nice amenities, and quiet. We had a Luxury Room. Connection to wi-fi was easy. The mattress was good and didn't aggrevate a bad back. The location was good with restauarants nearby. The Louvre was a pleasant 15 minute walk, and a similar walk to the tour bus location on Rue des Pyramides. The main stop for the Hop on/Hop off bus was a few blocks away. The breakfast buffet service was personal and outstanding. The hotel is an older, which charm and character. We would recommend and stay again.

Room Tip: Our room on first floor facing the interior courtyard was nice and quiet.