“No help with the smoking neighbour” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Scribe Paris managed by Sofitel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 rue Scribe, 75009 Paris, France   |
Ranked #192 of 1,795 hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“No help with the smoking neighbour”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel Scribe this week. The reception staff were friendly, although it took more than five minutes to check in. I suspect that my room had been let, but I was upgraded to a club room. Unfortunately the room had a connecting door to a larger suite and that room was occupied by customers who chose to smoke. The smell came charging through the connecting door and was most unpleasant. When I asked the management to intervene, they suggested that the occupants had paid a room cleaning charge, and that there was little he could do. I was told that the occupants of been asked to smoke in a room further away from the connecting door, but I found this most unsatisfactory. The hotel (in accordance with French law) is supposed to be a non-smoking building. On two separate occasions the occupants continued to smoke in the connecting room. The management did not intervene, in any meaningful way, and I had a most unpleasant stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SCRIBEParis, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Scribe Paris managed by Sofitel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your experience as well as apologize about the inconvenience caused by the neighboring room.
We do have a strict non-smoking policy that every guest should respect in order not to invade their neighbors. I completely understand your frustration since you have the right to enjoy your accommodation to the fullest.
We did inform the guests about the non-smoking policy and did charge them accordingly.
The charge paid is a combination of cleaning services as well as the fine applied for not abiding by the rules.
We welcome your comments with open arms and sincerely hope we can prove ourselves upon your next visit. I remain at your disposal should you wish to discuss the incident with us.

1,030 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have stayed three times in this hotel in almost as many years. It is a beatiful property and the rooms I've stayed in have had ample spaces, and compelling views over Rue Scribe. Everything had been perfect... except some minor glitches in this last stay, which, I have to say, were all duly addressed. However, it is such a great building, that you can only expect the staff to be perfectly courteous, and the appearence of the hotel to be also flawless. I would recommend to pay a bit of attention to the elevators, and to the elevators entrance area. The personnel in the Front Desk at check-in time were not entirely amiable (not so, immediately afterwards when a staff member accompanied us to our room, and at check out: they were helpful and eager to please ). Eventually you weigh the good things and some sincere smiles, and you forget those little flaws, but someone at management should not. This is not the location I like the most in Paris, but Sofitel, nor any other such brand, has a great hotel in the Rive Gauche (5e./6e arrondissements). Until such time, the Scribe hotel will keep on providing me all the luxury I need at a great value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Auriane G, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Scribe Paris managed by Sofitel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear valued guest,
We are honored to not only have you stay with and come back, but also to take time writing a review.
Sharing your experience is very valuable to us, but most importantly, to travelers all around the world.
Please accept our sincerest apologies if you have felt our staff were not entire friendly at the reception. Our goal is to please you from the moment you book with us; this behavior does not reflect our will.
Please be assured your comments have been duly noted and actions will be taken to rectify this.
As you nicely described, our establishment is indeed a historical building; from the first cinematographic projection (by the Lumière Brothers), the First Louis Vuitton Boutique where the tea salon is now located, etc… Almost everywhere you go in the hotel has a special story behind it.
I would love to hear about your next trip to Paris, and hopefully meet you.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our 11 nights stay at Hotel Scribe was a most enjoyable experience. The feature was excellent serviceacross the board with the concierge & guest relations Geoffrey being outstanding. Our lunch in the restaurant, La Lumiere was excellent & the star is well merited. We will dine there more often next time. The hotel could be improved if it had a Club Lounge. We would be happy to recommend the hotel to our friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear long-runners,
How great is it to welcome you for 11 nights but to also succeed into making your stay memorable.
We are very pleased to read you have enjoyed your time with us. It is as important for us to please you as it is for you to be pleased.
We do lack of a Club Lounge as per say; however, we made sure we could offer the same services even if we don’t have a dedicated lounge. The Scribe Hotel was originally the head-quarter of the French Jockey Club; it was later turned into a hotel.
We would love to have you back, so please feel free to contact us directly whenever you wish to renew your experience.
Sincerely yours,
Nadjet B. Guest Relation.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed one night here because our room at Park Hyatt was not ready. Room was tiny. Barely any room around the edges of the queen size bed. Bathroom was also small and tub was hard to get into. It was adequate for one night, but would not stay here again. Also was staying on corporate rate so it was not so pricey, and still not worth it. Location was pretty good and concierge was polite and helpful.

Room Tip: not sure. ours was on floor 1 and tiny.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with fellow travelers.
I would like to offer my deepest apologies for not being able to satisfy you when you stayed at the Scribe Hotel.

All our rooms are different, none of them look alike. This is due to the buildings “primary function”. In fact, when it was built, it was not conceived as a hotel, so when it did turn into one, the designers have done their best to provide you with comfortable rooms according to the space available. I am sorry this was not up to your expectation.

I would like to offer you a tour of our hotel and rooms so you can appreciate the history of our establishment.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to do so. In the meantime, I remain ready to answer any questions you may have.

Best regards,
Nadjet B. Guest relation. +331 44712425
Dubai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Rooms too mall, beds not comfortable, food not great. too expensive for the quality Only plus is location but there were other hotels in the areas that I could have booked. Never again. For 735 euros a night you expect allot more. They even charge 40 euros for parking plus 20 euros every time you take the car.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to express your thoughts about your stay.

My team and I join voices to offer you our most sincere apologies for having you leave disappointed.
Our “My bed” beds have a mattress topper; it would have been our pleasure to remove it so you have a less soft one.

I am unsure of which items you have tasted and at which outlet. But we do offer a variety of items that go from snacks and light dishes, served at the Tea Salon, the Obscur Bar or even in your room. On the other hand, we proudly offer a great gastronomic menu, designed by our Michelin Starred Chef, Sébastien Crison.

As for the parking, I am sorry you were not satisfied either; however, please bear in mind it is a public parking that we can access to park your car and take it back, but charges remain high in Paris unfortunately.

It would be my pleasure to speak about your stay and understand your needs better.
You can contact us via telephone +331 44712425 or email h0663-dm2@sofitel.com

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I travel to Paris very often for work and stay in a good number of hotels across the city. Given its price point the Scribe is just not quite on par with other 5-stars in terms of the quality of furnishing, overall look, efficiency of reception desk, etc. I managed to leave a make up bag (the women reading would know this is no small financial loss!) in the room but called the evening of checking out- I was told that they would look into it and ring immediately. I never heard back and had a friend call on my behalf the next day.

This time the management did ring back and apologise - he seemed quite professional but I have to say I didn't think any of the staff I came across before that were. Considering the cost of staying at Le Scribe it is hard to recommend to others.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,
Thank your for sharing your thoughts with TripAdvisor members.
I would like to offer my apologies for the miscommunication you have experienced. You have the right to expect actions when you contact us. I will ensure your comments are passed on to our staff members for corrective actions.
I sincerely hope you will give us a chance to rectify your first impression and create a more enjoyable memory on your next trip to Paris.
Best regards,
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Traditional building where the Lumière brothers performed their first shows. pros : excellent location at a stone throw to Madeleine square and its famous food delicatessen (Hediard and Fauchon) or to the opera and of course to the large traditional Lafayette and Printemps stores. Good quality breakfast served by friendly multi lingual staff. Weaknesses : small size bedrooms (unfortunately it is quite often the case in Paris !!) and high price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Scribe Paris managed by Sofitel? Share your experiences!