“Completely renovated, but a part of me misses the old Sofitel ADC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Paris Arc de Triomphe

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Paris Arc de Triomphe to your Saves list
Sofitel Paris Arc de Triomphe
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 rue Beaujon, 75008 Paris, France   |
Ranked #291 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“Completely renovated, but a part of me misses the old Sofitel ADC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I’ve always considered this hotel/property as a global benchmark for a 4-star high-class business hotel. Comfortable, extremely well located, great breakfast, and welcoming staff. Yes, the rooms and lobby may have been a bit old fashioned, but never worn down. Perhaps sprucing up the bathrooms and broken CD players would have been all that would be needed. But instead, the building is in the midst of completing a top-to-bottom renovation, and while I’m overall pleased with the result, some of me still misses the homely atmosphere of the old 14, rue Beaujon.

Let’s start with the good parts: rooms now have new Bose radios and TVs with great selection of programs, including my favourite option of internet radio from around the world. There is now complete in-room coffee and tea service, with espresso machine and large selection of premium tea bags. And there are 4 bottles of Evian provided gratis. I think that in this day and age, no proper hotel at this price/service point has any excuse not providing these items as part of their product, and in this manner, Sofitel ADC both excels and remains my benchmark. As usual, the bed is superb, and I would rate Sofitel’s mattresses as consistently the most comfortable of any chain hotel I've stayed in. In addition, there is now a rainshower with a large showering cabin, though my showerhead was a bit dinky, with low pressure and spray directions all over the place.

But … The design is a bit too modern and edgy for my taste. I have no problem with new style in general, and when done right, can actually be inspiring, but I think it’s been taken a bit too far in this case. I feel the room décor to be a bit too space-age, and the concept of putting the sink as an island in the middle of the room, separating the shower and bed, is a bit disconcerting. Also, the toilet is located right near the door entrance, the last place I’d look for it. I also think that they made the materially rooms smaller, though I can’t be sure if I’m just confused by the new layout.

Finally, the hallway carpet outside the room is purple/brown in colour, has a quasi leopard-skin print, and is lighted with fluorescents. Not classy in my view. The lobby revamp is a bit more successful and breakfast is still well supplied, though has increased in price by EUR7. Have they also removed an elevator? There use to be two small lifts, and now we’re left with one, which could be a serious bottleneck at peak checkout times.

Even with this critique, I have not seen any other combination of value, location, service, and product in central Paris, and will continue to keep this as my first choice when looking for lodging in the city.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Arabic first
Campinas (SP)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

At Sofitel it's easy to enjoy the French lifestyle as well as it's outstanding gastronomy. It's a good way to better feel Paris. The hotel is located at five minutes walking distance from the Champs-Elysée Ave., good restaurants in the area for all kind of budgets, from Taillevent to Pizza Pino.
The very well trained staff makes difference. My room was good, but small comparing to american standard size. The hotel has larger rooms as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hekelgem, Brabant, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The hotel has been recently remodelled and the rooms are very nice. We booked 2 junior suites which have lovely designer bathrooms equipped with a free standing bath and walk in rain shower. The bar is small but pleasant and the girl behind the counter showed us again what it is to be a Sofitel guest. we ordered drinks and they served sauternes soaked raisins covered in chocolate.My wife loved them and she overhears us talking about it. When we came back in the evening we found a note with a bowl filled with raisins. Great service we call this...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Not a location if you are on a budget but for a special trip to Paris the hotel offers a great experience. Great location, staff always attentive and a modern refurb is spectacular

Alleys my first choice

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated in a quiet street with easy access to the sights and offices in the neighbourhood.

The hotel is currently being renovated, turning it from a darker, gold hue into a more modern shade of grey - indeed 50 of them.

During this stage, the hotel is noisy from around 7 am but peaceful in the evenings.

Breakfast was excellent with a high quality selection at the buffet. Restaurant is a bit cramped, but this may only be temporary.

Service is typical Parisian: efficient but hardly effusive.

• Stayed May 2013
New York City, New York, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is under construction, and when i checked in , they gave me a room with a window completely covered by the contraction outside, and it smelled like paint. I couldn't breath in there for 5 minutes and they wanted me to stay there for few days, without any windows! Is that crazy?!
When i went downstairs , they were surprised i wanted to change. Anyway, we did switch to a much better room, however the hotel kept loosing electricity. This might not be a big deal, if you not spending too much time in the hotel, but its a huge deal when elevator doesn't work and you have to carry all your bags in the dark down 4 flights.
I am still waiting for them to send me my receipt, and now they are saying that internet doesn't work. This place is a mess.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

As I’ve said on TA many times before, I wish they offered half stars. I feel until the renovations are completed, this Sofitel deserves 3.5 stars, not 4.

Let me first start with the positives. The location is fantastic, right off the Champs-Élysées and next to the arc de Trimophe. Furthermore, the hotel is situated on an extremely quiet street where cars seldom drive by.

The service is also something that is worth noting. The staff is very friendly and goes out of their way to please the customer. In particular, Alexander (Alex) was one of the best concierges I’ve ever had the pleasure to interact with. Without Alex, we would have not been able to secure/confirm certain dinner/lunch reservations. Alex was also able to give us great tips in terms of skipping lines at many of the popular attractions.

The rooms were very clean and had a hip, modern feel to them. Traditional Parisian is not theme they are attempting to achieve which was fine with me; modernity is a design style I welcome. Lastly, the beds are very comfortable and easy to sleep in.

As for the negatives:
They are still undergoing renovations so there are certain areas of the hotel that are less than attractive; to me this isn’t that big of a deal. The biggest problem I encountered was no hot water in the shower on the day of our checkout (Monday, April 14th). Apparently the hot water was out for everyone in the hotel, not just us.

Another negative was the room service. The menu in the room claims to have many dining options. However on two separate nights we were told the only food they had was salmon or croquet monsieur. One night we were so hungry we opted for the croquet monsieur. The gentleman on the telephone told us it would be up in 40 minutes. Unfortunately, the food never showed up.

The gym: very small and quite limited. Luckily they had a treadmill and some free weights but it was pretty pathetic to be honest.

All in all it was a terrific stay but we were left with a bad taste in our mouth with the shower situation and room service debacle. Plus, after spending one night in our first room which was too small for our liking, we upgraded to a bigger room. We spent a considerable amount of money on the upgrade, many drinks/food in the bar as well as tipping the staff routinely – so the fact there was no compensation made to our bill on any part was a bit off-putting. How about a gesture of removing a couple drinks or something…. ?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Paris Arc de Triomphe? Share your experiences!