“Never Again - A poor excuse for a "Hotel"” 1 of 5 stars

Pavillon Courcelles Parc Monceau
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Rue De Saussure, 75017 Paris, France   |
Ranked #1,528 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Ireland
“Never Again - A poor excuse for a "Hotel"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

My girlfriend and I reserved a hotel right near the Villers Metro stop but unfortunately we were told upon arrival that the hotel had had a problem with their 2nd floor rooms and all guests had been re-routed to a nearby hotel. Given the situation and it being 10pm at night we had no choice but to change. To our horror we were greeted by the Pavillon Monceau's dingy excuse for a hotel. Our room on the 2nd floor was terrible. It smelt stale and the paint was peeling from the ceiling over two miserable and uncomfortable single mattresses, both of which were impossible to sleep on because the springs dug into your back at ever movement. The bathroom was bearly usable, stocked with less than half a toilet roll and no shower door it left an awful lot to be desired. The breakfast was not much better, both mornings the tiny breakfast room was chock a block with used plates, cups, saucers etc., one overwhelmed woman frantically tried to clear tables while at the same time re-stock the breakfast bar which failed miserably. The only positive about this hotel is it's ok-ish location. It's approx 10-15mins walk from the Rome Metro stop.

Unless there's no other room anywhere else in town - avoid at all costs.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Plattsburgh, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

This hotel, indeed, looked like a hostel. We stayed one night. I was surprised that we had a kitchen installed in our room (utensils, plates, cups, dish soap and a sponge were also there). There were 7-8 available channels on TV (all were broadcasted in French). My husband and I were out sightseeing most of the day so we thought this place was decent.

Our room was on the 6th floor (Top floor). We got off the elevator and went to upstairs & our room was located all the way to the left (could be Rm. # 610, I am not sure). The reason I emphasize where our room was that from our room we were able to see the Eiffel tower (or I should say we were able to see the Eiffel tower from our bed). We both enjoyed the Eiffel Tower light show at 9pm and 10pm from our room. I fell asleep staring at the illuminated Eiffel Tower. How cool was that! I wish other people can have the same experience...

We got off at “Villiers Metro station” and on the way to the hotel, there were cafés, restaurants, supermarkets and pastry shops on the street, “Rue de Levis” but they close fairly early. But during morning, we saw all the small shops selling fresh pastries, breads, fruits, veggies and even raw oysters. We enjoyed the lively atmosphere.

Overall, staff at the hotel was so helpful and friendly and the location was great. We liked this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

If you are considering staying at this hotel then let me save you your money. This is not a hotel, more a hostel. I took my fiancee to Paris for the first time. I understood hotel rooms in Paris can be small but the least you expect is a bed. Not only was our room tiny but our bed was a fold out sofa bed! Like any fold out bed the mattress was thin and every spring squeaked when you moved. You could hear other guests on every side of you.

The bathroom was tiny. You had to step over the toilet to get into the shower. The basin had a bare light hanging over it by its wire - I'm no electrician but I'm sure that's not safe!

At 3am we were woken by American students having some kind of pathetic drama in the hall. when we called to complain we were told it was 'OK'. The drama moved to the inner court yard and kept everyone awake. Calls to reception resulted in no action. Couple that with a noisy sofa bed and your in for a sleepless night!

We asked to be moved but were told the hotel was full. If I was you, I wide take as wide a berth as possible from this dive!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
LONDON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

My family and I, decided to stay at this hotel after it was suggested by friends. We are no longer speaking to them. The breakfasts were disgusting, the room stank of body odur and we had limited space to move. The hotel staff were completely unfriendly.

Whilst we stayed there, we were disgusted by the uncivilised guests in the room next to ours. They must have arrived on the Tuesday because the first night was a comfortable night. The second night, we were woken at around 1am by sounds of laughter and at one point we thought a chair was going to come through our wall. However, the Thursday night was also quite bad because we decided to have an early night and all we could hear next door was screaming and shouting. Then, people ran around the building for all hours. This ruined our stay, as we had no sleep for the entire first night.

• Stayed February 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NW London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights and unfortunately was given probably the smallest room in the hotel (room 54), not good if you have requested a cot, but didnt get one - just as well as we had no space to put our stroller & single small suitcase. Our room had a sofa bed which pulls out to a doublebed but this left hardly any space to walk. It was very claustrophobic ( made worst with baby who had no space to walk), the shower was in a tiny corner which was very small. The room was suitable for a single person with single bed not a couple!! This room faced the courtyard which was nice and quite.All rooms had microvewave, few plates & cutlery, washing up liquid, hairdryer etc. My sister who had room 22 facing the front road found it very noisy (had windows opened due to hot weather), her twin room was much bigger with a breakfast bar and better designed layout bathroom and found her stay much more comfortable. Buftet breakfast included was good with selection of pastries, cereal, boiled eggs, juice and hot drinks. Nearest metro is Villier (line 2). Theres a nearby market, good choices of local shops, restaurant and 2 supermarkets. Overall its ok, rooms are clean, staff friendly, breakfast room very small. Its good if its a short stay, but for longer stay i would go for a hotel with bigger rooms otherwise you wont be able to put your suitcase anywhere!!!

• Liked — Good choice of breakfast.
  • Disliked — Room & Shower were too small for couple with baby. Check in did not notice cot request.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oxford, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

This was our third hotel. First hotel had water damage, second hotel horrendous and this one had to do. Our room was a disabled one on the ground floor and it was okay. Other rooms were absolutely awful. Breakfast room tiny. Nice outdoor tables and chairs where you can have breakfast instead. Staff very nice though and helpful. Ideal location, metro close, restaurants, shops. It is basic though. I wouldn't stay long term. Two nights was enough.

• Liked — Leaving! The staff.
  • Disliked — So hot and hotel small.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Orange County, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

I found the hotel to be clean, the staff helpful and more than willing to offer opinion or assistance whenever needed. My wife and I had our best restaurant experience of our trip at a small place near the hotel. Dome was the name of the bistro. Take a chance and order something random off the menu. It's kind of fun to not know what you're going to get.

Yes, the beds are sofa beds. I don't know about everyone else, but if you are looking at staying this far away from the city center, then you are most likely looking for a cheaper rate. I don't understand the people who complain about the size or quality of the bed. You are looking for a discounted room, correct? There is an element of give and take when you look for a cheaper room. You may need to sacrifice comfort for price.

The only negative to our trip was out of the hands of the hotel, there was a Metro strike while we were in Paris, so all trains, save for a select few, were out of commission. I actually preferred to walk to the city center, it really gave us a chance to experience the city in a way that tourists rarely get the chance.

• Liked — Breakfast and cordial staff
  • Disliked — Sofa bed instead of a normal bed.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pavillon Courcelles Parc Monceau? Share your experiences!