“Decent location helpful staff a few issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Citadines Bastille Gare de Lyon Paris

Save Saved
You added Citadines Bastille Gare de Lyon Paris to your Saves list
Citadines Bastille Gare de Lyon Paris
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14-18, rue de Chaligny | 12th Arr., 75012 Paris, France   |
Ranked #692 of 1,794 hotels in Paris
Ottawa, ON
“Decent location helpful staff a few issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I used to live in Paris many moons ago and was a left bank girl for a long time. More recently for stays / visit, I have been doing more right bank, often around Opera area since it is easier to get around and can walk to some places too. I have some friends in the Bastille area but this is my first time staying in the area.

I am also familiar with the Ascott group having stayed at their property in Auckland for 6 months on extended stay basis. Have had 1 short stay in London for Citadines a long time ago.

This location is a tad more complicated if you try to take public transfport with luggage from CDG since you would have to transfer RER and also to metro. the walk between RER and Metro is very long. I would be tempted to do RER to gare de Nord and take a cab for a few euroes more. Better yet, take the Roissy bus to Opera and a cab. When I left I was leaving from Orly and the amount of hassel to go by public transport make me take a cab and glad I did.

There are a few decent looking restaurants and cafe around but I was meeting people so end up not really eating in the neighbourhood. There is a little supermarket on the street if you need a few staples to fill your fridge. Some pastisseries near by where it could be possible to buy something to heat up.

I had a 1bdrm unit and only myself but need to do some work while I was there so thought the extra space is worth it. Unfortunately not sure if the 1bdrm units have been renovated and the set up is not logical. I can see this configuration might be useful if you are 4 travelling but TV is only in the living room and I prefer to watch TV in bed. Would have been nice to have a small TV also in the bedroom.

The bedroom while small was perfectly fine. The safe was closed and locked when I checked in so it was something I had to get resolved. The bedding seems ralatively new so it may have been updated recently.

I looked at a studio while I was there and it has a far better setup / configuration to me and it seem newer / more renovated. The unit I had had the kitchenette in the foyer section between bedroom, living room, bathroom and toilet cubicle. it was reasonably equipped but the stove top was pretty old since the numbers on the dial for the hobs were worn out that I could not tell the numbers or what is off vs low vs high heat. The staff took a marker and tried to write on the hob knob for me to tell but this really need to be replaced.

My main issue was with the internet service. it is free internet service but it kept cutting out which is difficult for doing something on VPN. Each room has a router appearently for wifi and not that great. I switched to wired cable for internet but that involved getting the living room side table with the cable and phone halfway to the desk with and stretch the cable to connect to my laptop and stretch my charger for my laptop across the living room doorway so it can plug into an outlet on the other side. If it was more than me, it would be a safety hazard. The staff tried to help but there is only so much that can be done with the limitation of the physical configuration. Citadines need to provide longer cables and maybe an extension cord in the unit or move the furniture around so it could be more logical for the 1bdrm. The studio seemed to be fine but I did not try to work in it just a quick look.

24 hour front desk but doors locked and accessed by keycards or be buzzed in. With only 1 person on staff on Sunday, I seen some people waiting to be let in.

It is a decent option for an extended stay type accomodation but it could be better with some minor changes (longer cable, extension cord, etc.) and better eye on the upkeep.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room if they have some.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel at the end of March 2013.We had a warm greeting from the reception staff who were multi-lingual and explained the facilities available and nearby.
The accommodation was clean and comfortable. The one bedroom apartment we stayed in had a twin bed room and a very comfy sofa bed. There was free wi-fi available (and an ethernet connection if required..) A kitchen area near the entrance provided a sink/worktop, a two ring hob (which was painfully slow to heat up), a microwave and dishwasher.
Unfortunately the electrics were not very good - There were two loose sockets in the apartment and the light above the sink area flickered depending which other switch was pressed.
The hotel caters for budget travellers very well indeed. There are many supermarkets nearby along with a selection of restaurants (including a McDonalds), Boulangeries etc. within easy reach. The nearest Metro station Reuilly Diderot is just round the corner for connections to the main tourist sites and rail stations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I just returned from our swiss-paris trip yesterday. It was difficult to choose which hotel to book in Paris because Paris has numerous choices of hotel. Because we had 10 month baby with us, Kichenett, connectivity and Airport shuttle was my priority when looking for hotels. This hotel served my purpose very nicely. It is an extremely good choice on budget. Not very cheap and not over priced . just the rightly priced and it does provide everything that it promises on its or booking.com websites.

We arrived to Gare de lyon station from Geneva and this hotel is very close from this main train station. Just 7 to 10 min walk. Also the Reuilly metro station is just 2 min from the hotel. The hotel is in city yet nicely located at a calm location so you can relax if you want to hide from city chaos. You can travel most of the Paris attractions by metro so having M1 metro station near was very convenient.

These are Apartment hotels and they have well maintained and clean apartments. We had booked 1 studio and 1 apartment with 1 bedroom. Both were extremely good. There Kitchen has dishwasher, fridge and plenty of pots, pans and dinner sets.

There are many restaurents and supermarkets nearby withing 2 to 5 minutes distance, McDonalds on 5 min walk which was a thumbs-up for us :-)

They do have washing machine and dryer that you can use for some charge. However, there is a big coin operated washing machine center just beside the hotel building.

The Lobby and reception area is very nice with a iMAC in english ( and not french like most of hotels) and printer was working fine( we had a very bad experience in Swiss about this). The reception staff was very helpful and also helped us suggesting the trips and guiding to the various travel plans and offering agencies. They all were good in english so it was not so difficult understanding them.

They were also very honest and returned us 256 euros while checking out informing us that there was a mistake in rate we booked via bookings.com. we did not even know that and we really liked their honesty.

They dont have their ownairport shuttle but they ave tie-up with a shuttle provider company, you pay 18Euro per person and can book this shuttle. It came 10 minutes before time ensuring that no-one gets delayed.

I will surely return to this hotel and also recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: If you have special needs, its better to call them and inform personally. We had put our special nee...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just returned from 5 day stay at this place. The location is excellent - 5 to 10 minutes straight walk from Gare de Lyon or a 2 minute walk from the Metro. The yellow metro line 1 runs directly to all of the major tourist attractions and our one day pass enabled us to hop on hop off when we wanted to. The area of the hotel is very safe to walk around and we were able to walk down to the Bastille comfortably. We also one evening walked back from Notre Dame as the evening was so pleasant.

Opposite the hotel is a mini-market which stocked everything we needed for our stay, there are a couple of excellent boulangeries - one at the end of the street as you turn left, and one as you turn right at Rue Diderot. There are plenty of restaurants on the Rue Diderot and also around the Bastille area all within walking distance.

Our studio on the first floor at the front of the hotel was too hot for us (even at the end of December) and we asked to be moved to the top floor at the back of the building where we could sleep with the windows wide open. This was not a problem for the staff and they were more than helpful.

Having toyed with the idea of an apartment - I was glad that we opted for the studio at a far less cost and this was more than adequate. Our bedroom was a large room with tv and table and chairs and an en-suite bathroom, the kitchen area, toilet and wardrobes were seperate as you entered the studio with a door to close the bedroom off.

The kitchen was well equipped with microwave toaster cooking utensils fridge dishwasher and all utensils including kettle. The bed was so comfy we have returned to the UK and are looking for a similar one - very very firm, lovely duvet, sheets and pillows.

All in all the hotel was exactly what we wanted - we could get up at our leisure and make breakfast in our room without having to rush around and try and get to breakfast within a certain time. There were no maids knocking our doors in the morning and nobody running up and down the corridors backwards and forwards to their rooms which we always tend to find in hotels.

The staff spoke excellent english and were very courteous, the safe in our room - which was free and an added bonus - locked out one day and the staff couldnt do enough to ensure that they got it open for us.

I wouldnt hesitate in stopping here again - next time we will drive and I understand we can park in the garage for 20 euros a day.

We flew Air France and picked up the bus outside CDG which dropped us outside the Gare de Lyon, the bus leaves every 15mins and 45mins to the hour. 17 euros each - one way -worked out a lot cheaper than a taxi.

We had a final meal at the Train Bleu in the Gare De Lyon - blew 200 euros but well worth it for the experience - decent wine a dozen oysters fresh grilled fish and hand made macaroons. Im sure there are better restaurants offering exquisite dishes less expensively however this was walking distance, a great ambience, and pure indulgence!

Our only fall into the tourist trap was to visit the Sacre Cour which was breathtaking at night and to be talked into having our portraits drawn by the artists in the square. We said we didnt want our pictures drawn and the artists ignored us - started chatting away in English and before we knew it the pictures we drawn. We were then charged 60 euros each (!) we said we didnt have enough cash and the artists asked the manager of the restuarant where we were eating to take our credit card payment and give them the cash. What the heck it was Christmas Eve - but be warned !!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have road noise if you want to sleep with the windows open. We opted for a top f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our stay at this hotel was almost like a comedy show - except that it wasn't and we had a 2.5 month year old with us. First, our suite had been painted the day we arrived. They didn't have another room. (They claimed they were fully booked). We were really concerned about the fumes because they were so strong so we ended up leaving the door to the garden open to air it out all day and then had to leave it open overnight.

The room had a mini-kitchen with a refrigerator and microwave - which was great. The only problem was that running the microwave blew a fuse. The hotel informed us that there were no replacement fuses until the morning - except that the fuse ran the lights and all the plugs in the room in addition to the microwave and refrigerator (where we storing breast milk). My husband figured out how to swap out the other fuse in the fuse box in the room (there were only two) so we had some lights and could sterilize bottles and I could run my breast pump. The trick to this was that the other fuse was for the heat ... and with the door opened due to the fumes the temperature in the room got cold very quickly - the temperature outside dipped down into the forties overnight.

The end of the comedy show was that the hotel maintenance man got very upset at my husband (who is French and understood everything the gentleman had to say) for swapping out the fuses.

It's too bad, everything else about this hotel was very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We have found this place very convenient for our stay in Paris. It is right beside a metro station and shops and restaurants are very close by. You have the choice to cook for yourself or go out for meals and they have breakfast available if you wish. Staff are very helpful, including with helping us book tours by phone. It is not elaborate or fussy but we don't want that! There are plenty of cupboards for our belongings but there is no room for a lounge to watch tv. I would happily stay here again. A major advantage is that it is so quiet without traffic noise - at least in our room.

• Stayed October 2012
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were a little desperate to find a hotel at short notice as many seemed booked out. The hotel is a little further out from the usual Paris attractions, but of course convenient for the Gare de Lyon.
The area is just a bit run down. The hotel is certainly aware of this as security is obvious with card access required for entry to the hotel.
The rooms were clean and reasonable sized, but again, just a little dated. Unfortunately we were woken up one night by a rowdy lot going to their rooms at 3.00 am.
All in all though, not bad.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Been to Citadines Bastille Gare de Lyon Paris? Share your experiences!