“Excellent Paris base” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Suede St. Germain

You added Hotel de Suede St. Germain to your Saves list
Hotel de Suede St. Germain
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 Rue Vaneau, 75007 Paris, France (Tour Eiffel / Invalides)   |
Ranked #654 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Toulouse
“Excellent Paris base”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

This is a delightful hotel, very well situated for the major sites of Paris. The rooms are small, but spotlessly clean, and quiet (some overlook the interior courtyard, but rue Vaneau is not a busy street, so even the rooms on the 'road' side are not noisy). The staff are pleasant and helpful. Breakfast seemed quite expensive, so we chose to have a coffee and croissant whilst 'Paris watching' at one of the local cafes, of which there are many in the area.
Take advantage of the 'Batobus' system on the Seine: good value and you can get on and off the boat as many times as you want.

• Liked — Very central but quiet location
  • Disliked — Rather pricey breakfast
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Aussie in Europe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

This hotel was booked for us while we attended a conference. What a great find. The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms clean and comfortable. We were on the 5th floor overlooking the street, small balcony with french doors. Bathroon very spacious, bed comfortable and room nicely furnished.

The hotel is located away from the mainstream parts of paris which makes it quiet, however it was an easy walk to the metro (5 mins) and we walked down to the Siene and usual Paris sights (20-30 minutes).

It was suggested that we caught the train to CDG airport - a word of warning - be prepared to haul your luggage up and down several flights of stairs. The metro system has no escalators or lifts.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — No tea making facilities in room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

I read quite a few negative reviews of this hotel, so I was apprehensive about our stay. Still, friends who live on that street put their guests up there often, so we figured it had to be okay. It was more than okay. The staff members were polite and friendly, the room was SPOTLESS, the mattress was comfortable, and there were no problems of any kind that the negative reviews mentioned. Yes, the room is small, and yes, the TV is small and mounted on the wall. Sorry, but if you are going to Paris to lounge in your room and watch TV, I don't have a lot of sympathy. The continental breakfast, which some reviewers said was skimpy, included yogurt, cereal, croissants, juice, and the typical European cheese and ham. They serve until 10 am and there was plenty! The furniture in the lobby is not new, but the lobby is attractive and comfortable enough to sit and wait for your cab, drink the tea that is put out for guests in the afternoon, etc. The price in today's market can't be beat. If you want the Ritz, you have to pay at least four times as much. (And if you want rudeness, the high-price hotels that cater solely to foreigners are the places to go! We were the only Americans in the hotel. Most were French tourists.)

The neighborhood is safe as can be: the prime minister's residence is on this street (we had a view of his garden!), and there are police stationed all around. There are also plenty of nice cafes and places to eat. Try the nearby La Lutetsia bistro and the Cafe Varenne. The food section of the nearby Bon Marche (now the equivalent of NYC's Barney's) has to be seen.

As a general note for making things go smoothly in Paris, say "bon jour" to people FIRST before launching into your request or question. It's good manners, and they appreciate it, even if you can't say anything else in French.

chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

Don't book this hotel unless you want to be pushed around by a cocky smart mouth manager or staff...

Ok so let me begin by saying that the professional pictures they have posted of the hotel are fake. I have NO idea where they found these pictures, but I just came back from this hotel 3 days ago and I had to look twice to make sure I was writting a review on the correct hotel. The front of the hotel is more or less accurate, but the rest of the pictures must be taken from some other hotel. (Please look at my pictures and judge for yourself.)

I checked into this hotel in October 2008 with 2 other people. We got to the hotel around 10pm and the night shift guy checked us in but gave us a room with only 1 bed. It was no problem though because he told us that the hotel made a mistake and he gave us the room we booked. The next day at 11:30 am exact we got a phone call from Ines, the lucifer figure working the day shift. She told us to come down because she wanted to talk about our reservation and the room mix up. Turns out she said that we booked a room for 2 not 3, even though I had expedia confirmation. So she said that we have to pay 100 euro more for the room we slept in, even though the man that gave us that room never mentioned anything about a fee. We told her this but she didnt even want to listen to us talk she just cut me off when I was talking and told me to pay for the last night. She also told us that we would have to book another room for our 3rd person even though we had booked for 3 people!!! Thankfully the next day was a saturday and there was a very nice man working the front desk. We told him our problem and he magically found a room for 3 available, even though Ines from the day before told us there was no room and we had to book 2 different rooms. Hmm.. Fishy... Thankfully we were checking out on Monday so we didnt have to deal with that horrible woman anymore.

Problem # 2: THEY SECRETLY OVERCHARGE YOU!! When we checked in, it was late and everything was closed. we were thirsty so we ordered 3 bottles of evian water. The night shift guy charged us 4 euro per bottle! The next day I saw the room service menu and saw that the evian water was only 3 euro per bottle! The guy ripped us off and I made sure to tell the front desk morning people. The lady at the front desk said that we ordered 4 bottles, even though we only had 3, apparently the night shift guy got thirsty and decided to put his bottle on our bill. Also, we paid him in cash and he gave us no receipt, so when we complained they actually wanted to charge us AGAIN for not 3 but 4 bottles!!

The good: Nice and safe location, even though lights are limited at night. Close to Orsay museum. The bathrooms in some rooms are nice.. Hotel has been "renovated" in most places, but not all. So for about the next year expect to hear construction noises in the morning because they remodel peice by peice.

DON"T book this hotel unless you can book a "deluxe" room! meaning 4th floor - 6th floor only! We have been moved 4 times in 5 days and trust me, don't go lower than the 4th floor!

• Liked — location was decent
  • Disliked — staff!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for my birthday for 5 days. We booked it through lastminute.com and it was a very reasonable price.
I would say that its a great little hotel just out of the way of tourists and is great for a short stay. It was a small room though I would say it was just cosy. It was very clean and a cleaner came in everyday to make our bed. Bathroom was also recently refurbished.
It is a lot closer to everywhere than you think and the best metro nearby is Vaneu. I would advise buying a pack of 10 metro tickets as its cheaper and they are soo handy!
It is about 5 mins walk to the Rodin Musee and about 15 mins walk to Effiel Tower (if you dont get lost!)
I would also say its worth eating breakfast out as the breakfast is very light and not really worth the money. (there was a great bakers round the corner)
Though they were still painting and decorating (we were on 3rd floor and they finished our floor whilst we were there) it was queit.
Overall a great holiday!

• Liked — Location - close to anywhere
  • Disliked — Very queit area, not very busy
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brighton, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

Very friendly hotel in a little backwater. Perfectly placed if like us you're happy to wander off to see the sites - the majority are within half an hours' walk and the majority a lot closer. To find it jump off at Musee d'Orsay (RER station) and walk for 5 - 10 minutes south (keeping the Seine directly behind you).
The reception staff are very helpful - we discovered on arrival that we'd accidentally booked a twin room rather than a double; they asked us to wait for a few minutes whilst they changed the room around and made it clear it was no trouble at all.
I was sorry to see the review from the chap whose room was broken into... damning the entire hotel for that experience was I felt a bit severe. I also noted in another review that a guest warned people that not all doors lock automatically, which suggests that might have happened in the former reviewer’s case (as opposed to his claim that it was an inside job).
I would have to agree with the comment about breakfast being a little chaotic. It's taken either in your room or one of only five tables next to the lobby. The waiting time isn't great - the first day it was twenty minutes which is a bit excessive for coffee and croissants. The second day I thought I'd speed things along and waved at the waitress AND announced our arrival at reception... it then took forty minutes!! We're pretty laid back but this might annoy people in a hurry.
Overall, I recommend this hotel if you're looking for somewhere inexpensive (basic), clean and in a great location.

• Liked — Friendly staff, location, room.
  • Disliked — Waiting ages for my breakfast!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Gloucester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

Not the biggest or the flashiest of hotels, but if you want somewhere located in easy distance of the sights of paris and not costing an absolute fortune then this is maybe th eplace for you.

Visited with my wife for a weekend away. The hotel was easy to find and travel to from the airport. We simply hopped on a train then th metro which took us to within 5 minutes walk.

We stayed in a double standard room (room 36). The room was as described by a previous review. It was rather small, as was the bathroom, but it was charming and clean. There was enough room to move around; the bed was comfortable. The window was leading to the back garden. The bathroom was small but newly renovated; my only complaints were that there was no shower curtain so it was impossible not to wet the floor and the bed would have benefited from some more pillows.

We did not use room service or eat at the hotel. We used it as a base and spent all of our time outside of sleeping in Paris. We found it easy to walk to many of the main attractions including Les Invalides, The Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and The Louvre.

The staff was very helpful and all seemed to have reasonable English, sufficient to understand me and my basic French.

Overall, a nice experience, not a family hotel, but we were not looking for one. If you need somewhere to stay to see the sights and are OK to walk and use the metro its ideal.

• Liked — It was simple and clean within easy distance of the main attractions of Paris south of the river
  • Disliked — The room was smaller than expected and maybe some more pillows would be good
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel de Suede St. Germain? Share your experiences!