“Wonderful Hotel with great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Tulip Opera De Noailles

You added Golden Tulip Opera De Noailles to your Saves list
Golden Tulip Opera De Noailles
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Rue De La Michodiere, 75002 Paris, France (Opera / Bourse)   |
Ranked #150 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Montreal, Quebec
“Wonderful Hotel with great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We spent 8 nights at this hotel during our second honeymoon in Paris.
The hotel staff was very courteous and helpful.
The breakfast buffet each morning was superb. I was just expecting some croissant and fruit. They had an assortment of cheese, cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, breads, buns, jams, cereals, fruit salad, pastries, pies, and cakes. If you can’t find something to eat here you are just a very picky eater. Their coffee was amazing, I had the café au lait and cappuccinos.
The rooms are small but very clean. The bed was larger than a queen and very comfortable.
The location was great. You are a 10 minute walk to the Louvre, a two minute walk to the Opera Square which is where many busses have their end of line and tour buses have their pick up/drop off stops. There are numerous restaurants to choose from.
We would definitely recommend this hotel.
The best: buffet, cleanliness and location.
Least favourite: we were on the 6th floor so we had to use the elevator. Thank goodness it was a quick elevator.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We spend our birthday in this lovely hotel and we just fully satisfied. The rooms might be small but hey it's central Paris and a great location just 5-10 minutes walk from the Louvre! The fact that the hotel is small and has not too many rooms actually creates a very nice intimate atmosphere. The rooms are elegantly furbished, the shower is just awesome. The breakfast was amazing and just a perfect start to the day. Staff was very helpful and very nice. I will definitely come back here.

• Stayed June 2011
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We enjoyed last years trip to Paris so much that we decided to visit again this year. We chose to stay at the same hotel as our last trip, the Opera de Noailles, since we had such a good experience last year.

I'm pleased to say that we enjoyed this years stay just as much. We ended up in room 606 which has a very small balcony overlooking the interior courtyard. The room was small but clean and modern. It was also very quiet since it was away from the street and on the top floor.

We really like the location of the hotel. It's close to many restaurants and the Opera station making it a convenient place to hop on the Metro.

The staff have always been pleasant and helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I have visited Paris over two dozen times, and have stayed in hotels ranging from 5 stars to 2 stars. I chose the Golden Tulip Noailles because of the Trip Advisor reviews.

I was incredibly disappointed.

I stayed at the Noailles for business, and traveled alone from the US. I spent 4 days and evenings far, far away from the hotel to avoid the creepiness factor

The staff was incredibly kind, pleasant, and resourceful; especially the front desk staff. Their helpfulness and recommendations (restaurants, walks, metro advice) were excellent, but the hotel itself is not their problem or their fault. You get what you pay for.

The place was eerily quiet even during the bustling tourist season, and in a location that is confusing to navigate for a seasoned Paris visitor. I scheduled my days away from the hotel and its odd location only to discover that a few blocks away was a much more dynamic neighborhood and aura.

The rooms are the size of a postage stamp, which is common in Paris, but one can barely navigate in the dark through the poorly lit chambers. The light switches are confusing, and I realized that most of the light bulbs in the room were burnt out.

It was very hot in Paris in July, and while the room appeared to have A/C, it did not function, and it felt much cooler outdoors. I did not open my windows at night in fear of a Peeping Tom, ala Rear Window directly facing my room. I made sure to close the heavy red (and hot) curtains, and lock the window (which I noticed was left unlocked by housekeeping in all of the rooms) before I retired. The rooms were fairly clean, but because of the size of both the rooms and the bathrooms, there is not a whole lot for housekeeping to do, but change a few towels.

I did not eat breakfast in the hotel because the cost was 18 Euro, and I discovered that I could get a café and a croissant (and even more) less than a kilometer away for half the price. Many European hotels include breakfast, and what I saw of the selection was soggy eggs and stinky salmon in a mediocre buffet.

There is no restaurant in the hotel, which is fine, and acceptable, as there are plenty of cafes nearby.

Nothing around the Noailles is open on Sunday, not even during the day. No restaurants, cafes, nothing. I was instructed by the desk clerk to go to the Marais (across town) for shopping or activities.

There is no “bar”, only a desk clerk who pours stale wine or spirits into a misplaced glass in the evening. While the lack of noise and crowds at the hotel is nice, there is definitely a feeling of isolation. If one did not know that there were cafes, restaurants, and activity within a few steps, it would appear as if the place belonged somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

I frequently travel the globe alone for business and with my family, and I will make a note to pay the extra 25-50-euro for a safer, more staffed, and secure hotel the next time I am in Paris, or in any other Golden Tulip locations.

Again, I found the Noailles pretty darn creepy. The bottom line is, I did not feel safe. I did not feel safe taking the elevator or stairs to my room, and would not feel safe, even with others, because of the lack of staff or security. There is a reason why the chains and big hotels add the overhead of a few Euros. Spending the money on security, safety, and the general happiness of hotel guests is crucial. And the small hotels that make an effort to protect and safeguard their guests are rewarded with stellar and positive reviews. And repeat customers.

Golden Tulip Noailles displays their Trip Advisor rating on the front desk (4 plus stars), and it appears to be the only rating/review they have. Or at least acknowledge.

I hope the next reader heeds caution, and reads this review before or after the glowing reviews that already exist. It is realistic; I knew something was strange from the get-go when every review was endearing and positive. Way too good to be true.

Whether traveling to Paris alone, as a couple, or as a family, look elsewhere. And consider safety and basic comfort before booking the Golden Tulip Noailles.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

My wife and our two young children stayed here for three nights on our first trip to Paris. We had just come from London on a long vacation, and as a result had several pieces of luggage and lots of other stuff that a family gathers when traveling with small children. The hotel itself is ok -- albeit VERY small rooms compared to what we in the US are used to. It is located on a really small and narrow street and the taxi van had a hard time unloading our luggage, as he was blocking the entire one lane road. Check in was fine. The staff did indeed politely help us with the internet connection (which is somewhat unwieldy). Families should be aware however that there is no real room service at this hotel. Our kids like to eat what kids typically eat, and we also have a severe allergy in the family to a certain ingredient in food, and the hotel front desk attendant told us there was no way to order anything special as the hotel has no kitchen and just brings food in from surrounding restaurants. That was annoying, but not a deal breaker. The biggest and most shocking problem came at checkout. First, they were extremely aggressive in making us check out at noon -- a hotel employee literally chased us out into the street as we were heading to breakfast on the morning we were due to check out and flagged us down over a block away from the hotel to rudely remind us that we MUST be out by noon. Next, we were traveling back to London by train and needed a large taxi (probably mini-van) to take us to the train station after check out as four of us and five bags were not going to fit into a small taxi. I spoke to the hotel front desk at 7:00 am -- and was told that they would gladly book some outside car service to pick us up that afternoon at 3:30 so we could make our 5:00 train. A few minutes later they called back and told me that they could not get any car booked in advance and we would instead have to be back at the hotel about 15 minutes before the time we wanted to leave and they would call a taxi for us then. I didn't like the sound of that but I was repeatedly assured that this was NOT a problem. We returned to the hotel after lunch and made sure we were there by 3:00. When I walked in, they would not answer my questions about the cab, and instead insisted I pay the bill, which exceeded 2,000 Euros (thus this is not a cheap hotel). I did so. The woman at the front desk then told us to wait in the lobby and she would call the taxi. After about 20-30 minutes she casually walked over to us and said, "Its Impossible. I have called two companies and there are no cabs." I was stunned and VERY angry. I asked her what she suggested we do with our young children and our luggage and our non-refundable, non-changeable train tickets. Her response was to that we should all walk to the area near the opera (which was three blocks away) and flag down a cab for ourselves! I told her that was unacceptable, as we had found it nearly impossible to get a cab at all during our four days in Paris. She could not have cared less. It seemed quite apparent that since we had paid our bill, she was done providing us with any type of reasonable service. I have travelled pretty much around the world and have never gotten such horrible service at the most critical time in a trip -- to leave us with our kids and luggage just stranded in Paris with the clock ticking on our train tickets was a complete disgrace! There are many, many hotels in this area that all seem just as nice if not nicer than this hotel, and I suggest that if you are going to Paris for your first trip, or with a family, or if you need anything other than a closet sized hotel room with no view, then you should pick somewhere else to stay. This place is a JOKE.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Florence C, Responsable commercial at Golden Tulip Opera De Noailles, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear Guest

I thank you for your review and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the taxi issue. I really hope that you could eventually get a cab and catch your train.

Having said that, I am surprised that the lack of service impacts our mark for both cleanliness and bedding (2/5). The Hotel could not be cleaner and beds were recently changed and are very comfortable. I think this is a shame that a bad experience on the taxi issue hedge your judgement on complete different topics.

As for the absence of restaurant, I am convinced this is the guest' s responibility to look at the hotel facilities / services before booking. We do assume our mistakes but cannot apologise for something that is clearly stated on our Webstite.

Please be assured that your comment will be taken into account so as to improve the service and avoid this kind of incident in the future.

Yours faithfully

The Hotel de Noailles' Staff
North Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

My husband and I took a trip to Paris, France, from May 26, 2011 to June 3, 2011. While in Paris we stayed at the Hotel Opera de Noailles. This is not a large hotel which suited us just fine. We had a non smoking room on the top floor which overlooked the centre courtyard. The hotel has been totally redecorated and very tastefully done. The bathroom was a good size, there was lots of closet space, there was a/c , and the beds were very comfortable. The staff at the hotel could not do enough for you. They have free internet, and help you with that as well. The buffet breakfast was extensive and kept well stocked. This hotel is also in a very good area, and suitable for anyone at any age.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

This is one of the newer, better hotels in this area of Paris which is near the financial/business district (the stock exchange is nearby). The room and bath were clean and well maintained, water pressure was good. Though like many hotels in Paris, the room is small. It was a solo trip (partly for business reasons) so this wasn't a problem. Front desk and other staff were polite and helpful, especially the young lady who helped with my internet connection. Not all the staff speak English but she's great. There are a number of Japanese/Korean restaurants within a 5-minute walk from the hotel. These seem to be the only places open during the weekend. So other than it being a little quiet during the weekend, the location is fine if one needs (or likes) to be in this part of Paris. Otherwise, a hotel of similar standard on the left bank might have made a better choice for a holiday in Paris.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Golden Tulip Opera De Noailles? Share your experiences!