“A very nice European hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lutetia Paris

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Lutetia Paris to your Saves list
Hotel Lutetia Paris
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 boulevard Raspail | 6th Arr.; Saint-Germain-des-Prés, 75006 Paris, France   |
Ranked #689 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Oklahoma
“A very nice European hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

We booked this hotel in December for the location and the WiFi access, but were apprehensive after reading some negative reviews. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Our room, located on the street side facing the Eiffel Tower, was very spacious, especially by European standards. The bed was very comfortable, the room was clean and the service was outstanding. The lobby, bar and restaurant areas were beautiful and comfortable. The breakfast buffet, though pricey, was delicious and offered a vast array of choices. The balcony is a Parisienne balcony, meant for standing, and is not equipped with a table or chairs. We did notice that rooms vary greatly in size and our room (204) was a larger Deluxe room. It might serve one well to ask in advance for a particular room. Not all have balconies or street views. We love historic European hotels, so we were quite pleased with the hotel character as well as its modern conveniences. We did have a little trouble with temperature controls. Our stay was in March when it was in the 40-50 degree range, but the room was hot and though we turned down the heat, it didn't seem to have an effect. Our solution was to open the small bathroom window a bit to let in the cool air. The staff at Lutetia was very helpful and cordial. All spoke English very well which we appreciated since our French is limited. The hotel location is excellent and within walking distance to many attractions and restaurants. A metro station is located right across the street. The free WiFi was necessary for us and was very reliable. All in all, we had a great stay and would recommend this hotel. On a previous visit, we stayed at Hotel Du Louvre, also a historic hotel located next to the Louvre on the Right Bank. Our room there was much smaller than the Lutetia, though it was more elegantly outfitted. We prefered the location of the Lutetia as it seemed to be less busy and it had more cafes and lovely little restaurants nearby. We had only one complaint--the concierge charged us a deposit to make a reservation at the Moulin Rouge. After going to the Moulin Rouge and paying our bill there in full, we found that the 22 Euro "deposit" was in fact a charge and not a deposit. Basically, we were charged for the concierge service of booking a reservation. I have disputed this charge and have asked the hotel for a refund. I am awaiting their reply. This could be a deal-breaker for a return trip to the Lutetia based on principal, but otherwise our experience there was very enjoyable and our room was lovely.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Management-Lutetia, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Lutetia Paris, responded to this review, March 25, 2009
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

It’s great to see that you had a great time with us on the left bank of Paris!
I am very happy to read such great comments on our hotel and employees which I shared with the entire team.

However, I have noted your comments concerning the Moulin Rouge, and am delighted to hear from our Front Office Manager that the issue has already been resolved. Thank you very much for your remark, as it is very constructive and will help us improve the service we offer to our guest and avoid any misunderstandings in the future.

We hope to see you back with us very soon.

Regards,

Pamela Deggim
Guest Relations Manager
HOTEL LUTETIA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

We booked this hotel (deluxe room overlooking the street, nothing included) without reading any reviews, simply due to the convenience of its location, the fact that it is a historic building, and also that it has free wi-fi Internet - all three being essentials for us. I saw some reviews later and we were a little apprehensive, particularly on the day when we were delayed for two hours on the Eurostar and concerned if they would hold our room or if we would get the "last choice" on arrival.

As it turned out we did not need to worry. We had in fact been allocated a lovely room on the fifth floor with a balcony and a view of the Eiffel Tower. As this was a special occasion, the hotel also left us a complimentary half bottle of wine and some petits fours for the first night, which I thought was very kind of them.

Throughout our stay the staff could not have been more pleasant, and the concierge especially was extremely helpful with recommendations and advice. Even the maids always had a cheerful smile and a greeting. Possibly there was some appreciation for the fact that we made an effort to speak French, I do not know. At any rate we had no problems.

The room was large, by any standards, with french windows and a balcony, and furnished with antique furniture. The bathroom was also large and trimmed with marble. The toilet was separate to the bathroom, which I actually prefer and is not uncommon in Europe. We were provided with two bathrobes and a pair of slippers, a hairdryer, also free Annick Goutal toiletries plus other sundries including mouthwash and an emery board.

Cleanliness levels were high - the only minor points I spotted were that there was some mould (*not* dirt) on the sealant below the marble lip of the bath, the net curtain could have done with whitening and there was some dust above eye level, but I was deliberately looking after seeing some bad reviews here in that respect - I doubt most would be noticeable to an average traveller. Sheets and towels were pristine and changed according to our requests while there and the maids tidied everything - even things we had left on the desk or bedside tables.

Yes, some of the furniture had dings to it, but I expect that from antiques and it does not bother me in the slightest - I would go to a modern hotel if I expected flawless uniformity and perfection. The only thing I reported was the shower screen needing refitting or replacing as it did not do a good job of keeping water in. That said, there was a drain in the floor so it was not a major drama.

Noise - The room was double glazed in both the main room and the bathroom window. However, it is worth noting that the hotel is situated on a VERY busy junction of several main roads. Therefore, you should bear in mind that there will be some level of traffic noise despite the glazing. i have lived on several main roads in my time and no double glazing every totally drowns it out.
Also yes, you can occasionally hear the Metro but again this doesn't bother me unduly as it's quiet and nowhere near as loud as the airport traffic I got used to in several years near London. That said, if you think you are likely to be very sensitive to noise, then an inside room or another hotel may be for you. There was no noise from inside the hotel although the walls and floors are slightly thin and you can hear upstairs walking about sometimes.

The bed was two placed together to make a king, but this is not unusual in Europe and did not bother us at all. Sheets and pillows were lovely. Comforter looked a little thin but in fact the room's air conditioning tended to the warm side so they were perfect. Things could have been improved by the provision of drink-making equipment - either a kettle or a coffee machine. I have had this in other 4 star places and it would be a good idea here. That said, I have NO complaints about the free wi-fi Internet access, which is NOT common in Europe and can work out highly expensive in most chains. I used it daily at the Lutetia and had NO problems.

Safety - the door could be locked from inside, had a spyhole and also a solid chain/bar. I would have felt perfectly comfortable there on my own as a female traveller. There was an in room safe which we used for all valuables including laptop and mobile phones (it's not massive however - I have a small laptop for travelling that specifically fits in most in-room safes).

Access - elevators worked perfectly the entire time we were there and were not occupied by the maids. Not a single problem with the door access card keys either.

Location - there is the Sevre-Babylone Metro station (M10) right opposite the hotel and also the concierge is happy to call taxis. Alternatively, you can walk to a lot of places from this location - twenty minutes or so will take you to the Latin Quarter/Notre Dame/Seine/Montparnasse/Sorbonne among others. Thirty would probably get you within striking distance of most tourist monuments - we certainly walked to the Place de la Concorde iun one morning via the Louvre and on another occasion to Laduree on Rue Bonaparte. Right opposite the hotel is a small park with a children's playground and a small merry go round. The Jardin de Luxembourg is in walking distance..

As a result of the location, cafes and restaurants are easy to locate, and if you get stuck, you can check Zagat or ask the concierge. On our first night he pointed us to a fabulous informal Italian place behind the hotel. He also helped with cafes for breakfast and places nearby that sold takeaway coffee (which is not something that many places do in Paris). I gather that the restaurants in the hotel are good, but they were beyond our budget for food - breakfast at 30 euro was too much, and also the drinks in the bar were costly, even if the jazz was good. Watch out for minbar prices too - they are typically four star (ie. inflated).

Not a problem though, as we found great cafes in the student areas and latin quarter, and you can get nice lunches and breakfasts across the road at some local cafes. And two or three stops on the metro will net you even more possibilities such as the Bouillon Racine or Laperouse. A walk of the Bld St Germain will reveal a nice little supermarket.

Shopping - well you can hop a metro into the centre of Paris or go to Le Bon Marche which is two minutes from the hotel across a square. Warning! It is a pricey designer department store, but lovely to walk round. The food hall is about the level of M&S or Waitrose prices and well worth a visit but be prepared to queue to pay on as Saturday! There are also a lot of other shops in this area if you want clothes or shoes so it is worth just getting out and wandering.

Dogs - we did not take ours, but like most hotels, restaurants and shops in Paris, Hotel Lutetia not only allows dogs but welcomes them, with a "fresh dog meal" appearing on the room service menu (raw beef and french beans and olive oil for 11 euro, in case you are interested)!

All in all it was a lovely experience, and an excellent location, and I would happily stay there again. I shall upload photographs also.

• Liked — Free wi-fi, helpful staff, location, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Cost of food and drinks at the hotel
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Management-Lutetia, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Lutetia Paris, responded to this review, January 28, 2009
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for your most detailed review. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel Lutetia. Each of your comments is very important to us in order to understand what each of our guests expects when staying with us. The issues raised in the bathroom have been forwarded to our Head Technician in order for him to take the necessary corrective action.

We are certainly looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel Lutetia.

With all our very best regards,

Pamela Deggim
Guest Relations Manager
HOTEL LUTETIA
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

I stayed at the Lutetia for a quick weekend trip, so actual amount of time in the room was fairly limited. However, I can share that our deluxe room was nice and very spacious by European standards, and had a small terrace with a lovely view (though chairs on the terrace might have made it more useful). The bathroom was surprisingly huge. While the reception area and our room were very nice, the hallways were slightly run-down and could use a paint job in some spots; the door to our room was full of nicks. Staff was friendly and concierge was helpful in booking a fairly last-minute dinner reservation. Excellent Saint-Germain location, walking distance to the Orsay, Louvre and Notre Dame. Loads of nice boutiques and great restaurants nearby. The location alone would compel me to stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

I was apprehensive to stay at the Hotel Lutetia since most reviews were negative. But we were pleasantly surprised with our room. It was a nice size, the bathroom was large. The metro was right outside the hotel. The location is fabulous, close to everything, either walking or by metro. We had our breakfast included, it was a nice spread of breads, pastries, fruits, meats,... The only problem we had was not getting the wakeup calls at the correct time. This happened a couple of times.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in August. The hotel is very beautiful from the outside and has a lovely bar and lobby area inside. The room we stayed in was small by US standards but a nice size compared to other hotels in Europe. Since we booked a package deal, I am sure we did not get the best view but it was still nice to be on the 6th floor and view the Paris rooftops. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The bathroom needed some updating ( painting) and some missing small tiles but other than it, it was fine. The location is excellent and I found the service to be pleasant and helpful. I would definitely stay here again. If you like historic properties you will like this hotel. If you are looking for ultra modern and perfect, it is not.

• Liked — Location and Historical Charm
  • Disliked — Needs some minor fixes in the bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
carthage
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

i went there with my wife to celebrate her birthday and spend three nights. we were very exited to go there and we had the nice surprise on arrival to get an upgrade to junior suite with a nice view. unfortunately that was it as the problems started. the room was torn down and was not clean. we tried hard to stay there then decided after two hours to ask for another room. we found a better room with unfortunately the same problems but at least it did not smell. the turn down service was limited to puting the breakfast form on the bed, they do not close shades and change or provide you with towels. same with the daily cleaning service very limited and they do the minimum. the last night (as i have done the first and second night) i asked for extra towels and at the same time complained about the turn down service and to my surprise the housekeeper came to my room at 10 pm (with the towels) not happy and arguying with me that she did the turn down as it should and that i should not have complained to the reception??? this is unthinkable in a 4 or 5 stars hotel in Europe, a housekeeper arguying with a client!!!!
the second night as the room was cold we asked for extra blankets, we had to ask at least three times then came the blanket...... i cannot describe the state of the blanket, we decided not to use it.
service in the bar was also lousy as you have to chase the waitress to get a drink or pay your bill.
during our stay i did not see even once the manager and the hotel was basically run by trainees. i wonder how the management of the hotel and the "Concorde" chain are letting things go like this since it looks like we are not the only people who had problems in this hotel.
as a conclusion avoid going to this hotel if you are looking for a romantic stay or cannot stand rooms that are not clean.

• Liked — free wifi
  • Disliked — service and cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

Several people had recommended the Hotel Lutetia to us for our trip to Paris, mostly based on the bar (which was nice). However, we were less than pleased with the room, especially considering the hotel is listed as a four-star property. We expected the room to be small - which is was - but we did not expect it to be so rundown. There were dark spots (of what I assumed to be dirt) on the walls, peeling paint and the bed didn't have any sort of bedskirt on it which left the bottom of the mattress exposed. The air conditioning didn't work the entire 6 days we were there (though the hotel very nicely offered to bring a fan up to our room). The common areas of the hotel were quite old and rundown as well - faded carpets, peeling paint, etc. For the price - and the rating - we expected a much nicer and less shabby property.

• Stayed August 2008

Been to Hotel Lutetia Paris? Share your experiences!