“On the Mend, but some ways to go” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lutetia

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Lutetia to your Saves list
Hotel Lutetia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Boulevard Raspail | Hotel Closed for 3 year renovation that started April 2014, 75006 Paris, France (Saint-Germain-des-Pres)   |
timetrvl
“On the Mend, but some ways to go”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I just stayed in the Lutetia and the reason I chose it was some reviews mentioning how great the renovated rooms were, and the strides the hotel is making in recapturing its golden era. Alas, when I entered, first thing I realized was that the lobby looked outdated and gloomy. Incoming/outgoing guests were struggling to get their luggage through the revolving door. Of course my room was not ready when I tried to check in at 2pm, I was tartly reminded that check-in was at 3pm.

I was supposed to be in a "renovated" luxury room, and unfortunately, my definition of "renovation" differs from the hotel. The paint is already peeling in some areas, and the lights did not quite work and had to call front desk. The shower door did not close properly which led to leaks.

On the positive side, the room was quite spacious and the hotel amenities were nice. Breakfast, included in my deal was quite nice and served in a nice area with multiple stations featuring pastries, warm varieties and assortments. The location of the hotel cannot be beat in the heart of St. Germaines.

Room Tip: You must stay in "renovated" rooms. My understanding is the non-renovated are not up to p...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
JMKouyoumji, Front Office Manager at Hotel Lutetia, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear timetrvl, thank you for leaving a review about your stay at the Lutetia. We our sorry we did not meet your expectations on every point during your stay. We strive to renovates regularly as many rooms as we can, we are very sorry yours was not up to your standards. On the other hand, we are delighted to read you were pleased with the breakfast, which is usually very appreciated by our clients for its variety of products and their quality. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again at the Lutetia, and show you what our hotel can offer best. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
reno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This place stretched my budget, but was highly recommended to me. I'm glad I took the recommendation--I thought it was worth it. The room was surprisingly spacious, especially by Paris standards. We were comfortable with three people and three beds in one room(staff had included an extra(third) bed per our request). We had a channel in English on the TV--unexpected and pleasant surprise. Our reservation included the breakfast buffet--I thought the selection of delectable baked goods was fabulous. Greatly enjoyed browsing at the nearby Bon Marche and its gourmet food section. Our room was on floor 2 and was quiet. Not high enough to have a view of the Eiffel Tower, I regret to say. Saint Germain neighborhood is great; we enjoyed walking to the Louvre, Notre Dame, Luxembourg Gardens--maybe about a 30 minutes walk away.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Eiffel Tower, you will have to be higher than floor 2.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear reno1024, thank you so much for your review ! We are so please you enjoyed your stay at the Lutetia and that your two friends did too ! It is always a pleasure for us to read that our guests enjoyed our hotel, it's rooms and services. You are also right in saying the location is great and it would be an immense pleasure for us to have you back at the Lutetia, at the heart of the Left Bank, very soon ! Best regards.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Saint Germain ist the best spot where to be to breath the real Paris atmosphere: this hotel is just perfect to do so and if you are so lucky to get a room on the 5th floor starrring in the morning and late in the night at the Tour Eiffel, well you are about to experience the most amazing days in your life!! You can just walk to caffe de flore, you can walk to Montparnasse, you can walk to one of the greatest restaurant in Paris for oysters (le bar a huitres) and all around the hotel is full of cafe and traditional French bistrò. Metro station just in front of the hotel. It is also full of gorgeous shops and in the hotel there are a couple of windows showing cool unknown designers pieces (in particular jewels) which will help you to have a permanent memory of Paris! Besides the perfect location and nice shopping opportunities, the Lutetia is also well known for the very good brunch and concerts which often take place there. If u like jazz, blues it's worth having a look at the events plan before booking. Still on food: the breakfast is very good too: wide array of choice, everything fresh and very kind staff. Some additional quick comments: fast check in and powerful concierge service. What the Lutetia could improve is maintenance of the bathrooms and the amenities. Mini bar price are somehow a bit high so maybe it 's better to get water from places around. Other than that, just let yourself conquer from the incredible Paris appeal!

Room Tip: Fifth floor Street side: waking up with the view on the Eiffel Tower is just amazing
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Queen s, we would like to thank you for taking some time to leave a review about your stay at the Lutetia. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that your experience at the hotel was pleasant. We will send your good words to the Concierges and the Front Office staff. We also are sorry about the problems your experienced in the bathroom, we hope it was not too much of a problem and assure you we will focus our efforts on these parts during the next renovations. We would be delighted to have you once again amongst our guests very soon at the Lutetia . Kind regards.
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

beautiful hotel , gorgeous common area for American style cocktails...they even have a fumoir (smoking lounge) if you are in the mood for a Cuban cigar. The room was fine , the bathroom amazingly large....service friendly as well. One of the most beautiful Art Deco buildings (external and internal) in the world. Added bonus - its 5 minutes walk from Bon Marche department store.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jcrowne, thank you for leaving this review. We are very happy you had a nice stay and enjoyed the hotel. We will send your good words to the staff. It would be our pleasure to welcome you once more at the Lutetia. Best regards.
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I didn't know what to expect from this hotel and it both met and fell short of my expections. The pros: beautiful building, lovely lobby, helpful and friendly front desk staff, great bar with great service. Wonderful location- close to everything and the metro nearby. Large, well appointed rooms; large bathooms and nice robes (I had a junior suite).

The cons: my room, 104, was a bit noisy as it was right across the 24 hour fitness center and close to the business center and spa booking area. Also it was dark especially in comparison to friends who had a junior suite on the 2nd floor. But what really keeps me from giving the hotel an excellent rating were "hardware" problems. The light bulb in the entryway was burned out and wasn't changed during my entire 4 night stay. The bathroom, while roomy, had drainage problems. The shower head, a detachable type, sprayed everywhere if you didn't use it solely as a handheld shower. The marble surround around the tub sloped outwards so when the water splashed, it drained onto the floor and not back into the tub. The glass partition to keep water from spilling out didn't work- water leaked under the partition. My friends's room had a drain in the floor but I had no such luck- I used all of my nice, fluffy towels to soak up the water after I bathed so I wouldn't slip (which I did anyway). Upon checkout I told the front desk of my issues- hopefully they have been taken care of.
All that said, I would stay at the hotel again, but I would ask for a suite on a higher floor... and hopefully with a drain in the bathroom floor!

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
JMKouyoumji, Responsable réception at Hotel Lutetia, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear ccw999, thank you for your review. We are glad to read you had a pleasant stay at the Lutetia. We would also like to appologize for the problems you encountered with some of our amnieties, we are very sorry this happened, this does not at all reflect the quality we strive to offer our guests. We would be very happy to welcome you once more at the Lutetia and make you forget these inconviniences. Kind regards.
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

For starters if youre looking for everything to be super modern functionality and cookie cutter luxury start somewhere else. The lutetia is a peculiarly french persona. Quirks, individuality, not everything is perfect, but just as you'd do in judging a person, see her in the round. The location is unbeatable - walk to notre dame, luxembourg, montparnasse, all around saint germain. Yet on a fairly reasonable quiet spot. Nice atmosphere in the locale, hermes is next door, plenty top shopping if thats your thing, and a nice little square opposite with a playpark and carousel if thats your need, as it was ours. The poshest department store, le bon marche is just across the square, and the metro is right on the street outside, so you can get around as you wish. Inside the common areas, well the bar and the hallway has a peculiar smell, like an old lady's handbag. Probably has some of the same ingredients - old leather, old fabric, old perfume. The breakfast room has faded velvet chairs and is rather underlit. But its all charismatic and has a certain charm, i just found it slightly amusing and whimsical. The staff were exceptionally helpful at check in - we arrived at 1pm and were asked to sit in the bar, but it was ready within 10 mins - time enough to order a nice glass of pink champagne! - and again in the bar. Breakfast could be slightly gruff, and didnt fit with the rest of hotel staff, who were excellent - housekeeping, room service, the brasserie, all really very good ( esp when the opposite can apply in paris). We had the parisienne suite, and i cant rave enough about it, lounge, 2 bedrooms and a dressing area plus 2 bathrooms. And 3 balconies with full on views of the eiffel tower, we were pinching ourselves it was large, airy, and had original art on the walls. The hotel delivered gifts of hat boxes with wine, fruit and water, a nice touch. The brasserie is excellent, the waiting staff attentive and very friendly, they were so kind to our little girl.
This hotel is right at the heart of the left bank, has great staff and terrific views from the higher floors, beleive me its worth it. Try not to think about moaning about a tiny bit of frayed carpet or a worn bannister, its just like visiting a grand old aunt in a prime spot. You wont be bored and it a great place.

Room Tip: 608 on ghe high floors facing west. Just amazing views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear havanagirl, thank you for taking some time to write this review about your experience at the Hotel Lutetia. We are very pleased to read you understood the hotel and enjoyed your stay. It was our staff's pleasure to welcome you and make you feel confortable during throughout your stay and we will tell them your good words. We hope having the pleasure o welcoming you once more at the Lutetia very soon. Best regards.
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Lutetia for three nights in July. We arrived on Bastille day and were given a room that made me want to cry. It was small but that was my choice. It was also a mess and that was not. There was mold in the bathroom, the carpet was filthy and the paint was peeling. I called the front desk and asked for another room. The person I reached informed me that there would not be another room until the next day. I said that was unacceptable and she promised to see what she could do. When she didn't call back I took photos and went down to the front desk. There I found Vanessa, the young woman who had checked us in. She was very sympathetic and left to see what she could do. She returned ten minutes later with the keys to a new room. Not only was it supposed to be better and an upgrade but fortunately it was right across the hall. She was right. It was indeed a nicer room and an upgrade. The room was fantastic. It was large, clean and it had a view of the park. Vanessa was our hero.
Now............ we left the hotel three days later and drove to Normandy. We didn't unpack completely in Normandy. So three days later when we were on our way to Le Havre and a cruise, I realized that I left three handbags at the Lutetia. (I know three handbags were too many) I called the hotel but wasn't able to get confirmation. Long story short I had someone back home call again and YES they found them. Upon my return home I corresponded with their lost and found and they shipped my handbags home. They even found a pair of reading glasses that I hadn't realized were missing. Again....... they have the BEST service. I highly recommend this hotel. They are friendly, helpful and the hotel is very nicely situated. Some rooms may be a bit tired but that can happen anywhere. How they handle the customer makes all the difference in the world.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
JMKouyoumji, Responsable réception at Hotel Lutetia, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear TRIPMOM2012, thank you for leaving this review about the Lutetia. We are very pleased to read that your stay was pleasant and that you liked the hotel. We would like to appologize for your bad experience with one of our rooms, and will transmit your good words to Vanessa who managed to find a solution for you, and to the Luggage Disposal service, about this nice ending adventure with your lost bags ! It would be our pleasure to have you amongst our guests once more at the Hotel Lutetia next time you come to Paris. Kind regards.

Been to Hotel Lutetia? Share your experiences!