“Good and Bad!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Paris Les Halles

You added Novotel Paris Les Halles to your Saves list
Novotel Paris Les Halles
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Place Marguerite de Navarre, 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Place Vendôme)   |
Special Offer
City Breaks up to 40% off
Ranked #561 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersBronze level
Somerset
“Good and Bad!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have just returned from a four night break with my husband and two children in Paris.

Good Points - The Hotel is centrally located and despite the surrounding building work we found it very quiet during the day and evening. The staff on reception are polite and helpful. We had breakfast in the restaurant every morning and it was better than we expected. We never had a problem getting a table as soon as we walked in and the food was replenished quickly. The foyer is pleasant, but lacks atmosphere compared to the bustling square outside the Hotel. We had a window that opened wide and we could watch the streets come to life in the morning which was lovely. We found the beds comfortable and the air conditioning in the room worked well (it was extremely hot during our stay and sunny). Free safe in the room. Free Mac computers and a kids area was very good.

Bad Points - On the first night we had a shower to find that somehow it had flooded the bedroom. My husband reported this to Reception and was told someone would come and look at it. On the second evening we used the shower/bath again to find that it still flooded the bedroom. I don't think anyone had looked at our problem and considering the state of the carpet I would imagine this happened all the time. The toilet smelt disgusting and being situated as soon as you walked through the door was not very welcoming. The room did not have a mirror in the bedroom either which seemed strange. I wasn't in Paris to watch TV and we spent very little time in our room, but it would have been nice to have had an English News Channel to catch up with the world first thing in the morning.

Overall, the Hotel did not ruin our trip to Paris, but it did not enhance the experience. If I had been staying longer than four nights I would have asked to move to a different room. If I returned to Paris I would stay somewhere else. We got the train to and from CDG Airport and it was extremely easy (and cheap) - just watch the exit you take from the station otherwise you could be wandering around for a while trying to get your bearings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NovotellesHalles, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Les Halles, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Novotel Paris Les Halles for your stay in Paris and for taking the time to share detailed comments with other travelers.

I am pleased to see that you really enjoyed our central location and all our services. However, I have duly noted your comments on the shower and please be assured that I will forward them to the concerned service in order to avoid such incident again.

It is true that Les Halles are going are going through major renovations and we are doing our best to welcome our guests in a most pleasant atmosphere.

Thanking you again for your feedbacks and looking forward to welcoming you again soon to the Novotel Paris les Halles.

Julien Donzel, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel was clean and in a great location - near the Notre Dame, the Louvre, and Musee D'Orsay. What made the hotel great, though was the attentive and responsive staff. Everyone was very kind to us (especially my 3-year-old). Manuel Carrillo, the concierge, was particularly helpful when we needed some medical assistance. He quickly arranged to have a doctor come to the room but we opted to go to the American hospital instead. He had a taxi waiting within a few minutes to take us and helped us out to the taxi. Great service, Manuel. Thanks for your help during our stay.
In addition, the hotel arranged a taxi for us on another day and we left a bag inside the taxi by accident. I immediately called the hotel and they helped to track down the taxi and the driver came to the restaurant where he had dropped us within 20 minutes with our bag! Really excellent service by this hotel. The management should be congratulated.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Novotel Paris Les Halles for your stay in Paris with your family and for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the place and that you were fully satisfied with our services. Thanks for your comments on our staff.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again soon to the Novotel Paris les Halles.

Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I would like to commend Jamal the receptionist on the evening of the 20th July who went out of his way to retrieve an earring which had slipped down the hand basin into the drain trap below. Luckily Jamal had been a plumber at one time and was able to get my earring without me having to wait for the maintenance crew to come on duty the following day.
Well done Novotel for employing such resourceful staff!

Room Tip: Inner courtyard rooms are quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
NovotellesHalles, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Les Halles, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying at our hotel and for taking the time to share such detailed comments on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to see that you had a nice time with us, Thanks for your comments on Djamel, I shall not fail to forward it to him.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again soon at the Novotel Paris les Halles.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Clean hotel with good size rooms that were clean and quiet. Breakfast was very good with alot of choice, the man with the balloons to entertain the kids was a lovely choice. The location to the Metro system was excellent and hotel staff happy to help with directions and advise.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Novotel Paris Les Halles for your stay in Paris and for taking the time to share your comments on Trip advisor.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again with your family to the Novotel Paris les Halles during your next trip to Paris.

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I booked a suite at the Novotel for 2 nights because of it's proximity to the Pompidou. What an awful experience. Here's why;

1. On arrival, nobody helped or even offered to help with my luggage.
2. The elevator opened on the 3rd floor and I immediately smelled old cigarette smoke embedded in the carpets. This place is in desperate need of a renovation.
3. The 'suite' was terrible. I cannot believe they actually charge over €400 per night. Firstly it was old, the furniture is from the early 90s. The shower was dirty with a stained floor. The blinds were filthy, broken and didn't open. BOTH air conditioners didn't cool the room down. The carpet had cigarette burns. The bathroom sink was blocked and the room is so awkward that you have no place to put your suitcase down. (Suite 344).
4. After being in the room for 30 minutes, I called the front desk and told them I'm checking out for the reasons above. They sent someone to the room who took me to a junior suite on the 6th (top) floor. The suite was great, everything worked, it was newly renovated, AND it was cheaper than the suite they first put me in. I cannot understand why anyone would accept their 3rd floor room with no complaints.
5. I ended up staying 2 nights in their junior suite and it was very pleasant. Only issue I had was that the cleaning service starts at 8:45 am (that's VERY early for Paris). Be sure to put the DO NOT DISTURB sign out or they will pester you non stop.
6. The door has a double lock on it although why, is a mystery. I double locked the door and when I didn't answer the 2nd knock of housekeeping, they simply double unlocked it. What's the point? Surely housekeeping knows that if the double lock in active, someone is inside? Clearly management needs to train them better.
7. The walls do not have internal sound damping so you can hear everything in the passage and the rooms next door. Especially the cleaning staff. They are loud and I think they start on the 6th floor.
8. Be advised, this hotel is only half renovated. I don't know if they are continuing with the renovation because there is no sign of construction crews.
9. There is also major construction going on in front of the hotel. Novotel's website makes no mention of this because they are obviously trying to hide it form you. The construction is not a problem though (except for jack-hammers after 10am), mostly it just spoils the view.
10. Their fitness centre is in the lobby. Literally there is a glass wall on the ground floor facing the street and another facing the entrance lobby. For the life of me why would they put it there? I don't want to see sweaty people on a treadmill on arrival anymore than I'm sure they would want to see me. They have state-of-the-art equipment but in a very stupid location.
11. The images on their website are ALL of the renovated rooms and there is no construction going on in front of the hotel, DO NOT BE FOOLED!
12. If you HAVE to stay here, be sure to ask for a NEW suite on the top floor NOT overlooking the front of the building and you stand a small chance of a pleasant stay.

Finally, Mr Julien Donzel, before you say "Trusting this has not altered the image of our establishment ..." as you have with every other bad review, it HAS altered my image of your establishment and I will NOT stay here again nor will I recommend it either.

Try the Georgette, it's just up the road and completely charming.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to Paris and for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

I am really sorry to read that you were not satisfied at all by the quality of our services. I have taken good note of your comments and I am disappointed by the incidents you described on your email. Please be assured that I will forward all your comments to the concerned services in order to avoid such incidents in the future.

If you come to Paris and ever decide to give us another chance, please contact me directly at h0785-am@accor.com. I will be delighted to receive you and make sure your stay will be more convenient for you.

It is true that Les Halles are undergoing construction at the time and we surely are doing our best to receive our clients the best way possible.

I sincerely hope to welcome you again at the Novotel Paris les Halles.

Mosta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

when I was looking for a hotel it had took me a while to find a nice hotel that have rooms which sleeps up to five. Novotel Les Halles was a good choice. We booked the Executive suit which sleeps even up to six. The master bedroom is a seperate room from the kids sleeping area. We had two TV sets and there was cartoon channels for children. The kids really enjoyed watching cartoons from their bed in the morning or before bedtime. The bathroom has both a shower and a bath tub which made it easier for us to wash the kids as you can wash two at a time. In the room there is a large dining table which is very useful for room service. During our last night we decided to have a room service and the service was very efficient too. With this type of room we had a complimentary bar which we really liked. For us the rate we paid on this room was value for money. One thing I wish is that the fitted carpet in the room will be sanitized as it is a little bit smelly which is a pity for such a lovely room. This hotel has a very nice decor. It has different seating areas and a nice bar. There is even a small kids room with x-Box and some blocks. The kids were given a small soft toy upon arrival and for breakfast they were entertained with balloon modelling. The breakfast is very good. As a suggestion, in a family friendly hotel I would love to see some help at least with the tea and coffee during breakfast as with 3 young kids it will take parents a while sometimes to start their breakfast. The area of this hotel is very central.
The reception staff is very nice and I would like to thank Karen especially for her outstanding service.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better. Our room was in the fifth floor and it was facing the street. For us...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Novotel Paris Les Halles for your stay in Paris and for taking the time to share such detailed comments on Tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure to read nice comments on our hotel, services and staff. I am really happy to see that you enjoyed the place and central location. Please be assured that I have duly noted your remarks on the carpet and shall not fail to forward them to the concerned service in order to fix it.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Novotel Paris les Halles during your next trip to Paris.

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is a basic city center hotel. Nothing fancy. However, its location nears perfection. If you book the best possible room and face the Eiffel Tower, you should be fine. I´d give a plus for the breakfast. Very wide selection and excellent customer service. Good coffee out of the machine! Plenty of restaurants in the adjoining square and metro is right around the corner, too. Would recommend for a brief stay for a family or a young couple. If looking for luxury and romance, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book the best available room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying at our hotel and for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to see that you had a nice time with us and enjoyed our central location together with the quality of our services. However, I have duly noted all your remarks; they help us to improve the quality of our services.

Julien Donzel, General Manager

Been to Novotel Paris Les Halles? Share your experiences!