“Y.J” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Normandy Hotel

You added Normandy Hotel to your Saves list
Normandy Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 rue de l'Echelle, 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Place Vendôme)   |
Ranked #1,506 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Miami, Florida
“Y.J”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

After our hotel was change for this holtel i was very apset but i stayed in it because the good care of customer service. They try to greet and have a good experince..need some updated , location is great even the street were closed for remodelition ...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Basildon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Great location. However, other than that it's a disappointment. This is billed as a 4-star hotel, but most 3-star hotels I have stayed in are as good or better. Shabby chic furniture may appeal to some (not me), but tatty decommissioned minibars from the 80s made of plastic-coated fibre board are definitely not acceptable in a hotel that charges these prices. The rooms need redecorating and refurnishing. Did I mention the smells? Few T.V. channels. Phone didn't work. Nor did the radiators.
We were part of a queue at Reception complaining the Wi-Fi in the rooms didn't work. The receptionist said he wasn't a tecchie: the WiFi worked or it didn't: nothing he could do about it. Seems odd, as previous reviews have also reported problems with the advertised Wi-Fi. The room safe didn't work. We reported it to the night concierge who said he had no idea how they worked, and we should report it to the day concierge the next morning, which we did. Nothing happened. So we reported it again, and were told to report it again later. Strongly suggests they didn't care. The receptionist did, however offer us the use of the main hotel strongboxes in reception.
The night concierge was very offhand and unhelpful because we did not speak proper French! In contrast, the barman was excellent.
For the cost, I can only rate this hotel as 2 out of 5.

The owners have to realise that they need to invest money in the hotel, and improve staff professionalism if they want to improve customers' perceptions.

On investigating, it appears that the French hotel rating system merely determines the presence or absence of certain features: there is no indication of quality. So do not rely on the alleged star ratings: read reviews from actual customers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Pok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This hotel was a huge disappointment.
It claims to be a 4* but I don't even think it deserves one.
It is tired and in desperate need of remodeling.
Our room was decent size but the sinks had been painted and it was peeling---Gross!!
We had 2 single beds and they were so narrow that when I laid on my back both arms fell on the floor.
Concierge didn't know much and not real helpful.
Same for the Desk Staff.
All in all a place to avoid---a 4* location but that is it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bordeaux, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I was expecting it to be old-fashioned after reading reviews, and this is not something I mind, as I would rather be in a hotel full of character than in a modern chain hotel where the rooms all look the same.
However... at 250 euros per night this felt like a total rip-off, in spite of the excellent location and the large rooms.
The reception staff were pleasant and helpful, one (older) concierge was very charming and professional, another one spoke very poor English - not acceptable in this job I'm afraid.
The entrance and lobby are quite grand. This, and the price of the rooms, give the impression that you are coming to a fairly luxurious place. Unfortunately this is deceptive.
Here are my main gripes:
Bathroom: although the old-fashioned bedroom furniture was chipped and had seen better days, this didn't bother me, and even added character IMO. However, I like a hotel bathroom to be a place I enjoy being in and this one was was horrid. Flimsy shower curtain on a metal shower rail held up by an old chain in one place; shower leaked onto bathroom floor however careful I tried to be with the shower curtain; dingy net curtain at the window. Terrible old tiles, which had been partially and patchily painted over in places in a cheap attempt to freshen them up; Stained bath; the complimentary toiletries were really at the absolute bottom end of the range: shower gel and shampoo, small bar of soap and that was about it. Not even a shower cap, let alone a plastic comb or a mini sewing kit. If they're charging 250 euros per night, I expect a tiny bit of pampering!
No minibar, just an empty fridge. This wasn't an inconvenience for me personally, but they shouldn't advertise minibars in rooms if that is not the case.
WIFI in rooms is VERY slow, sometimes not working at all - unacceptable in city-centre hotels these days.
The old-fashioned double door French windows added plenty of character, but no sound-proofing from the sounds of the street.
Bedlinen is very basic. Only one pillow. No bedskirt meaning the bed frame and legs are visible.
Paintwork chipped and generally dingy.

Good points? Well, it was clean, the sheets and towels were changed every day and there was plenty of hot water. But this isn't really a "good point", this is just the basic minimum that anyone expects in a hotel.

I picked this hotel because of the location and some friends had stayed here and found it fine, if a little kitsch in the decor. However I later found out that they had found a good deal and paid half of what I paid.

So, if the rate had been cheaper, I wouldn't have minded all the drawbacks and would have considered it quite good value considering the location and the room size.

But it is not worth 250 euros per night, even if you CAN glimpse the Louvre from your window.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was trying my best to find another Hotel after reading all the bad reports but time was too short. So I went to this Hotel expecting an absolute nightmare. Found staff to be very nice, entrance is very nice, breakfast won't win any reviews but was ok. Rooms are large and clean but they do need to be renovated. I felt safe there, but with this great location it can be very noisey and since air conditioning didnt work rooms were warm. So if you are looking for value for your money location is the only thing working for this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The pictures in the web pages look very nice but when you arrive to the lobby the truth hits to your face. Dirty old hotel with no soundproofing so you can forget about sleeping. The worst thin is that I went to bed alone and woke up with red bites on my skin and it was not a mammal who bit me...Breakfast was ok and the location is good and that was the only positive things that I can say about this hotel.The glamorous days of this hotel are over and I wonder who would give this hotel more than one star. I´d rather sleep in a tent than here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Normandy Hotel? Share your experiences!