“False Advertising!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Normandy Hotel

Save Saved
You added Normandy Hotel to your Saves list
Normandy Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 rue de l'Echelle, 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Place Vendôme)   |
Ranked #1,521 of 1,795 hotels in Paris
Los Angeles, California
“False Advertising!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

No wifi access as promised, torn carpetry on stairs(!!!), lousy air conditioning, aloof and at times hostile staff, old torn furniture, we asked for a full size bed or queen size bed & we got twin beds(??), the bar was never open, exposed wood & cracks all over the walls, would not even call us a cab when we were ready to leave.
the ONLY good thing was its location...& the sweet housekeeping staff (hope they get a decent wage!) This is NOT a three star hotel! we were just there in early July 2013 so AVOID, they don't deserve your business.

611 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Greek first
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I wanted to watch the TdF in Paris, saw a three night deal on the Internet at this hotel and immediately booked it. Then I read the reviews on here. I walked into the Normandy on Friday, with my wife, absolutely dreading it. And it isn't as bad as people suggest
The bad news: the hotel is run down. It needs a complete update
The good news: it's in a great spot, the Louvre is a 2 minute walk away. There are lots of cafes and bistros nearby, and I didn't hear of any security issues. The hotel could be stunning and has lots of original features, pelmets, cornices and so on. The bed linen and towels were changed everyday. Most(!) of the staff were friendly. There is free wifi. There is one address for the lobby area, and one for the rooms. You had to keep trying to get through in the rooms,but it wasn't too much of a problem in the lobby
For a three night room only break, I got a great deal. I wouldn't entertain paying the full rate, but if you can get a deal, consider this hotel. I have stayed in a lot worse Parisian hotels.
Just one thing, and this is hardly the hotel's fault. It is in an expensive area, in an expensive city. Do not faint when you get the bill if you have a beer! A pint and a half cost me €16

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have never ever had to write a review before but I had to say something to stop any other poor innocent souls from making the mistake of booking a stay at this horrendous establishment. They call it 4 star I would not even rate it as anything. Premier Inns are 5 Star LUXURY compared to this. My husband is going through cancer and after his radiotherapy he booked a romantic trip for the pair of us to get over the ordeal of all the treatment he had. He booked through EUROSTAR as they recommended this particular hotel. It was not cheap and all in all a 4 days stay was around £1400.00 (Most of our savings). He requested and paid for one of their superior rooms, only when we got there we were given a room, that quite frankly you would find in the cheapest hostel. After moving us to another larger room (Still not superior) it was dark and dingy. They said all their superior rooms were booked out and thats all they had. There was no Wi Fi reception in the room. The electrics blew twice, blowing up our travel iron and burning my husbands brand new Lacoste polo shirt. The air conditioning unit was archaic and didnt even have all the equipment for it (i.e. the vent pipe) to function properly. So we had 90 degree heat in the room because it was pumping out hot as well as cold air! There was no satellite pay per view TV as promised (one channel - CNN News that was it!) the hotel bar was closed for two days that we were there and when we asked about the so called room service, you had to order a main meal if you wanted to order drinks in your room! Dont get me started on the price of Paris as thats another matter but be prepared to pay around 20 Euros for a beer and at least 8 euros for a coke. Location wise the hotel is centrally located. Thats all its got going for it. There is no pool, no gym. Honestly people, please look around Paris before booking a hotel. We saw a lovely 4 star round the corner called the Regency and it was BEAUTIFUL and it was CHEAPER that the crap hole we were staying in.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in December. I made the reservation through booking.com because of the price. I then decided to read guests reviews and started to get worried as they were not that positive and wondered why I didn't read reviews before booking - I probably wouldn't have reserved if I had read them first. I decided to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt and hoped our stay would be better than others.

Our first impression of the hotel was not good, the glass entrance door was cracked and looked like it was going to shatter any minute and the window shutters looked old and dirty and needed to be repainted.

We went to Reception to check-in, standard procedure except for the fact that you had to see the Concierge after to get your room key...

The room was not as bad as I thought it would be. Very spacious, with double bed, a small seating area, working desk and plenty of closet and wardrobe space. It did look old but nothing too worn out or damaged. It was comfortable enough for 3 nights and we did not plan on staying in the room very much anyway.

The bathroom was large, clean and bright with a combined bath and shower, double basins and toilet with a bidet. No complaints.

Basic television, mostly news, sports and only French speaking available.

Wi-Fi signal was very weak and only worked in certain spots of the room, gave up after numerous attempts.

Location is good, close to plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby. Walking distance to shopping streets. Close to metro and bus routes. Down the street (one block) from the Louvre.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay, no major issues - good for the price and location. I would probably stay again if they renovated or at least repainted and recarpeted the rooms as they do need refreshment. It could be worse and to be honest if you expect a lot from a hotel, you should pay more and stay somewhere else instead of complain or give negative reviews.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Szentendre, Hungary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The good location is the only positive thing in this hotel. The breakfast is avarage, nothing special. Really expensive, but its the price of the location maybe....however the rooms are in a really bad condition, whats more dirty...the furniture is old and need to be renovated..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in 2008 and had a room with a view of rue Ste Honare and the top of the Eiffel Tower in the distance. This time we were on an interior courtyard with no view. The hotel is older, so don't expect the Ritz. It is clean and the staff are helpful. We had no wifi access in our room and no AC. My parents' room did have AC. Being on an interior courtyard helped with the heat and we asked for a fan, slept with the windows open and were fine, even though it was in the upper 80's F (27 C).
You CANNOT beat the location for the price. Walking distance to 3 different metro stops, the louvre, Tuileries, cafes and a grocery store (Monoprix- closed n Sundays).

Stayed June 2013
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

old, daggy, the only good thing about this hotel is its location...staff is actually fairly friendly but rooms are absolutely atrocious...I paid EUR200 per night for a single bedroom 1970s style with only light bulb still functional and a bathroom my grandmother would have refused to use...Value for money, this is possibly one of the worst possible deal in Paris...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Normandy Hotel? Share your experiences!