“Booking arrangements” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eymard House

Eymard House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Eymard House
You added Eymard House to your Saves list
23 Avenue de Friedland, 75008 Paris, France (Champs-Elysees)   |
Ranked #61 of 120 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Sydney, Australia
“Booking arrangements”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Hi there,

I made some enquiries on this.

It is neither a tourist hotel nor a residence offering general accommodations, but rather a religious house, open exclusively to members of the « Association Maison Eymard.
The membership cost is 7 $Es, payable when you arrive.

Arrivals are not accepted on Saturdays and Sundays or holidays, except for priests, religious men, after prior agreement by telephone.

From airport « Roissy-Charles de Gaulle », the most direct way is : by Air France Bus to the terminus at Place Charles de Gaulle, near Arc de Triomphe, about 45 mn. Our residence is 400 m from the bus stop, 23 avenue de Friedland.
Reception hours are 9.00-12.00 am and 2.00-6.00 pm.

Now you must book for at least 3 days.

Single room with washbasin, and breakfast : 35 E (religious and students under 25 : 28 E by night).
Double room with washbasin, and breakfast : 57 $E per night (religious and students - under 25) : 44 E by night).
Triple room with washbasin, and breakfast : 66 E per night (2 adults, 1 child).
There are toilets and a shower on each floor. Sheets and towels are provided.

No smokers. No one except residents may come into the building.
Daily mass and vespers are offered in the chapel.
The duration of the stay cannot be less than 3 nights.
Underground parking available 50 metres from the residence for
• 3 days : around about 58€ + 19,20 per day

Now this is the sting:

To confirm , please send a deposit of 40 euros for a single room (80 euros for a double room) by cheque or bank draft (payable in FRANCE only) to « Maison Eymard » or by bank transfer.

International bank transfers can be at least half the cost of the amount you want to transfer! Not nice!

By the way, I have not travelled yet. I am just sharing the info I got.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

ASSOCIATION MAISON EYMARD:
When I was planning my first visit to Paris - October 7 through the 15th - I was hoping to find a way to reduce the cost of accommodations which, as many know, can be quite significant in any large European city. Unlike Rome, Paris is not exactly overflowing with half empty convents with rooms to rent at a reasonable price. Back-packers have long made use of youth hostels which have increasingly become "any age hostels". Although I wanted similar cost savings, I also wanted to avoid at the very least room sharing and, if at all possible, bathroom sharing as well.
Paris required a bit more research.
After reading through books on the subject I turned to TripAdvisor's Forums for additional and unvarnished information.
It was there that I first read of Maison Eymard (Association Maison Eymard), 23 avenue de Friedland, 75008, Paris. The Association has been the property of the Fathers of the Blessed Sacrament since 1876
I found even more details on the web at [--]
I emailed them at [--] using Google's Language tools to create a French version of my request for room information. I would later discover that conversing with the manager, Nghia Nguyen, in English was not difficult. Her brother also works at the Association as bookkeeper and he assists at breakfast.
I was pleased to receive a positive response from the manger. She provided me with complete instructions and attached to the email all the particulars for the Association namely prices for rooms and meals other than breakfast for which there is no separate charge. The rules were pretty simple and straight forwarded....no smoking and a minimum stay for individuals not associated with a religious community of 5 nights.
Since I have not smoked for over a decade, that would be not be a sacrifice. As for the latter, I knew I wanted to stay in Paris for at seven nights.
There are two sets of room prices, one for the religious and students and another for lay adult visitors.
The price that won me over was 32 Euros for a single room only 300 meters or 984 feet from the L'Arc de Triomphe in Place Charles de Gaulle (formerly Place de l'Etoile) with its metro connections, numerous restaurants and the famed Boulevard, the Champs Élysées.
Doubles cost 52 Euros per night with also with breakfast and phone included.
The rooms come with a sink but the bathroom and shower facilities are separate and shared.
Since this is an Association, one must pay a one-time membership fee of 7 Euros upon arrival.

Now that I've been there and back, I can report that I was very pleased with the accommodations as well as the cleanliness of the establishment. The room was an ample size with windows overlooking the city. The adjoining washroom with a sink was surprisingly large. The bed was good size with a comfortable mattress and pillows. The rooms do not have their own TV’s. There is, however, a TV lounge downstairs near the dining room.
I have never stayed at a hostel primarily because of the shared bathroom/toilet facilities which appears to be fairly customary in hostels. However, whatever inconveniences I had envisioned did not occur. The shared bathroom facilities were in a separate room a few doors down the hallway from my bedroom.
In that room, there are two more rooms one with a toilet and the other with the shower each having its own door.
The cleaning woman would come by each morning to wash and clean the bathroom. The bedrooms were not visited on a daily basis. Nonetheless, there was an amply supply of full, clean towels.
One could consider this to be a very large hostel with a religious affiliation. As for religion, the subject was never mentioned.
The two buildings in which the rooms are housed have elevator service to all levels. As previously mentioned, the main front entrance is on avenue de Friedland. There is also a rear entrance/exit on Rue de Chateaubriand
Noise was never a factor. Actually, the place was so quiet I thought I was the only one on my floor.
The groups I saw over breakfast were of both genders and all ages except for the really young. Then again, it was early October.
As for the free breakfast, it was nothing elaborate but filling: Loaf after loaf of very fresh and delicious French bread with jellies, jams other condiments, butter by the tub and plenty of self-serve coffee and tea.
The large, quiet garden is just outside the dining room and several people took their beverages and sat in the garden to sip and chat.
Lunch and dinner is also provided for 12 euros each. The tab for these is paid at checkout.
Because I filled my days and evenings with pre-planned tours and/or concerts, I never had the chance to try a full meal there. However, when I return to Paris, I'll be certain to make time for a Maison Eymard dinner at, what I discovered is for Paris, a very reasonable price.
One final note of interest to many: This is not a convent nor is it operated like one, ergo, no curfews. Guests are provided with a key to the street entrance to come and go as they please.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Eymard House? Share your experiences!