“Fascinating place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montmartre Cemetery (Cimetiere Montmartre)

Montmartre Cemetery (Cimetiere Montmartre)
20 av. Rachel | 18e, Paris, France (Montmartre)
01-43-87-64-24
Improve this listing
Ranked #67 of 636 Attractions in Paris
Type: Cemeteries, Historic Sites, Neighborhoods, Cultural
Activities: Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: This cemetery is the final resting place of Émile Zola, Edgar Degas, Alexandre Dumas as well as other artistic luminaries.
Cork, Ireland
12 attraction reviews
“Fascinating place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I do not want to sound weird but I found this place absolutely fascinating . It was my first experience of a cemetry of this size and interest . It is obvious that many artists and people who worked in the entertainment industry have chosen this cemetry to be their final resting place . The tombs and headstones are sometimes wonderful and bizarre at the same time . Will visit here again .

Visited October 2012

• Korean first
UK
4 attraction reviews
“the living dead”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

As in life there are some flamboyant final resting places,the overall feeling is not one of gloom,it's celebration for all the fabulous things-entertainment,bought to the world when they were alive.Relatively quiet spot also,acting as a break to the hustle and bustle.

Cork
29 attraction reviews
“They hate tripods!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is the only cemetery I've ever been in where I was stopped from using a tripod by one of the staff. There was no explanation for this and, on reading the noticeboard, there was NO mention of tripods being banned. I think the caretaker guy was disappointed when I said I was neither a professional photographer nor a journalist. Ridiculous!!! Any photographer worth their salt uses a tripod these days. What's with these people. I can understand this 'rule' in a small church filled with people, or in a museum, but come on - a, eleven hectare cemetery with a handful of visitors about!!! Next time I go there, I will not produce my tripod until I'm out of sight of the caretaker's office. Sod 'em.

That apart, this cemetery has a fabulous collection of memorials and sculptures. A must for anyone interested in sculpture, graveyards, headstones etc.

Graveyard lacks an adequate guide book or signage to indicate the graves of famous people.

Visited October 2012
Amherstburg, Canada
22 attraction reviews
“Why visit a cemetery on vacation?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband asked me why I wanted to visit this cemetery when we toured Paris. It sounds creepy but in reality it wasn't at all. There was a haunting serenity there that is beyond description. Thousands of crypts and statues, all paying their respect to the dead from early 1500's to present day, each of them unique in one way or another gave us understanding of the French people. The famous ballet dancer, Nijinski, actually has a life sized statue of himself sitting on his tomb. Dumas, Berlioz, Offenbach are there. Be sure to stop at the entrance and get a map of the place. It has all the names of the famous people buried there. Well worth the time.

Visited September 2012
australia
37 attraction reviews
“Spooky, incredible and extravagant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I love cemeteries. Have visited dozens over the years. This cemetery is the best so far. The crypts and mausoleums are amazing . Peer through the iron doors and see intricate stained glass, statues and china floral tributes. Shame there is no English signs but I did love the one at the entrance telling you what not to do. Amongst the instructs were not to skate, use your phone or feed a cat! I have never thought of taking a can of Whiskas to a cemetery before now.
It definitely is the spookiest cemetery I have ever seen, and the locals tell me they go on Halloween. No way!

Visited September 2012