“Tough to review” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel d'Aubusson

You added Hotel d'Aubusson to your Saves list
Hotel d'Aubusson
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Rue Dauphine | 06 Arr., 75006 Paris, France (Luxembourg)   |
Special Price
€40 off room rate
Ranked #35 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Bellevue, Washington
“Tough to review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Background:I've stayed here at least two times. Love the location. The rooms I had, especially the Grand Luxe with a courtyard view, were wonderful. Ditto staff and elegant public rooms. So, thought it would be a good idea for my husband to enjoy this hotel on my recent trip. Here's what happened.

1. Checked in too late to get a courtyard view for my Grand Luxe room (booked six months in advance).. For years this room choice has been advertising either a Rue Christine or Courtyard view. However, I got a Rue Dauphine view, meaning that my windows were never open because of the noise from this busy street, and I love fresh air.

2. The A/C did not work upon arrival so spent an hour or more with the repair person (who did a great job!).

3. During my interaction with the front desk I experienced a couple screaming for their room, another person who had been waiting six hours, another who asked "what about me?" And so on.

4. My Grand Luxe contemporary room had no ambience whatever. Bland, no touch of Paris, pure Westin ( and I love Westin, but not in France). Front Desk said they are redoing the rooms to combine more local flavor with contemporary convenience. Incidentally the room was huge by Paris standards: 27 meters. Great in that respect.

What makes no sense to me is that although I had told them this was a birthday trip for me, no small note or gift awaited me upon my arrival. Nor did they reduce my room charge even slightly to acknowledge my not getting a room location (Rue Christine or Courtyard view) that was guaranteed by the hotel. It wasn't the money or the gift that mattered, it was their showing they cared. They didn't .

So, I have a trip planned for April requiring two rooms but given my experience I don't know if I can choose the D'Aubusson. Maybe I will again,but not until they restore their former greatness.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerAubusson, Directeur général at Hotel d'Aubusson, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hotel d’Aubusson on your last trip to Paris.
We sincerely regret that the hotel was not up to your expectations even though you enjoyed the location and the room size. As neither your name and nor your stay period were mentioned on your review, I would be pleased if you could come back to me so that I could figure out the issues you met. Please contact me at your convenience so that I could answer you properly.

Yours sincerely,
Nicolas Guipet.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Ashland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I am not in the habit of writing a review BEFORE I've actually stayed at a hotel, but feel, in this case, I must. I am planning a trip to Paris for April, 2014. I looked on-line and found Hotel D'Aubusson. The Reservations staff, in particular Audrey and Alexandra, have been so wonderfully helpful. We have exchanged several e-mails and all of my questions have been promptly and thoroughly answered. In addition, when i called to book our rooms, Audrey was very friendly, patient and very helpful. I did not feel rushed as I asked questions regarding room size and decor. She was also VERY HELPFUL when discussing my daughter's nut allergy and how this can be accommodated. It can be difficult to travel with a child who has a life threatening food allergy and she made me feel very relaxed and taken care of in this regard. Based on tis simple experience, I am now more excited than ever to travel to Paris for our family vacation. Merci beaucoup.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My partner and I choose this hotel due to the location and the great reviews on trip advisor. We were not disappointed. The level of service was exceptional. The staff were very helpful, friendly and warm. The room that we had was in the old stables at the rear of the hotel. It was large by Parisian standards and very quite. The was no noise from outside at all. It was a very well decorated room and the bed was comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone be they family, friends or business colleagues. It is well worth the money and it's position on the trip advisor ratings.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here briefly at the beginning of an extended stay in Europe to celebrate our 25th anniversary. The hotel itself is very charming with a courteous front desk staff. The location was perfect and we walked just about everywhere.

It was very important to us that we visit the top of the Eiffel Tower during our stay because we had only seen the tower from the street on prior trips. When making the reservation, all advance tickets to the top were already sold out. The concierge presented two options and and told us that the "easiest" would be to have lunch in the Jules Verne restaurant because we could then purchase tickets to the top from there. (There is a private elevator from the street to this restaurant mid-way up the tower.) Lunch was fine but then we were unable to purchase tickets to the top. We were told that we'd have to go back down to street level, purchase the tickets, and then wait (for hours!) in the regular line for the elevator to the top -- thus defeating the purpose of spending over 350 Euros on lunch!! What bothered me most was the fact that the restaurant was very clear about the fact that the ticket office on their level (to the top of the tower) is often closed. Given this, the hotel concierge should not have instructed us that this would be the "easiest" way to the top. He should have been clear that we would be taking a chance. Had we known, we might have opted to skip lunch and take our chances with the regular line. I don't speak French and didn't think I should have to make transatlantic calls to figure all of this out. Isn't that what concierges are for?!

If you just need a place to stay, this is a very charming place. If you need advice on things to do in Paris, do NOT rely on this concierge. Do your own research!

Room Tip: We had a corner room with a bedroom window facing Rue Dauphine and a window in the bathroom facing t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerAubusson, Directeur général at Hotel d'Aubusson, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Madam BARNES,

Thank you for having stayed with us during your last trip to Paris. I am delighted that you enjoyed our property and location. I also can understand you feel disappointed not to have had the possibility to visit the Eiffel tower's top part but who is responsible for that?
Regarding the lunch cost, you were told that “Jules Verne” was a fancy Restaurant. Moreover, we cannot be held responsible for the fact that the tickets sales were closed the day you went there.
By recommending you this option, we had absolutely no other interest than satisfy your expectations. We are really sorry that you had been unable to visit the top level but we could not predict these particular circumstances we are not responsible for.

yours sincerely,

Nicolas GUIPET
Manager
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel D'Aubusson for 4 nights in a superior room. After all of our months of planning my husband became ill with a flu-like virus on our first night and remained ill for our entire stay in Paris. The staff could not have been more helpful, cancelling reservations and calling a doctor when necessary- even housekeeping worked around us.

Despite the sickness, we could appreciate that our room was a nice size, with a lovely renovated bathroom and a suite of closets. The only negative was that being on the first floor was a little noisy when the music played at night in the bar. But once the music stopped the room was nice and quiet, with no noise from the street at all.

The location of the hotel could not have been better. Plenty of small restaurants for take away meals for me. I also felt very safe walking alone. I took advantage of room service which was helpful and had a good full breakfast in the dining room one morning. I also was able to take a walk to both the Louvre and Notre Dame.

Staying at this hotel helped us make the best of a bad situation. We hope to visit Paris again and would stay at this hotel without hesitation.

Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

It is a given that excellent hotels in Paris are expensive but paying a lot does not guarantee that you will find a welcoming atmosphere for American visitors. We travel with a group of eight with demanding tastes and the Hotel d'Aubusson met everyone of expectations from gracious and helpful staff to a wonderful bar where drinks are not measured by thimbles and the maître'd, Favien, is worth the price of admission alone. He is hard working, charming and just fun. Another wonderful feature is jazz every night by some talented performers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Punta Gorda, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We selected this hotel because a previois stay was memorable. This one exceeded our expectations. The staff is so friendly,professional and informative. Our Grand Luxe room was lovely, spacious and quiet. The breakfast was served in a charming room from 7am to 11:30, which worked well for our flexible schedule. Most key sites were walkable from the hotel, a Seine River cruise left from the Pont Neuf bridge, around the
corner. The staff made reservations for an evening concert at Sante Chapelle and it was one of the highlights of our vacation. There was a wine tasting before dinner each evening in Laurent, followed by jazz.
Overall, we were made to feel very comfortable and pampered. We will return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel d'Aubusson? Share your experiences!