“Nice stay, except the breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel des Carmes

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel des Carmes
You added Hotel des Carmes to your Saves list
5 rue des Carmes | 05 Arr., 75005 Paris, France (Panthéon)   |
Ranked #327 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Bucharest, Romania
“Nice stay, except the breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel is good, the room and bathroom are clean, the stuff is friendly and attentive and the big advantage is that it is very close to the city center. It is also places on an area where you have boulangeries, pizzas very close, so if I would go in Paris next time I'd stay at the same hotel, but I WOULDN'T have the breakfast included, as it is very poor. For that money , approximately 10 euros/pers you have a lot of places very close wher you can eat much better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

If you want to stay in a cheap hotel in Paris, I highly recommend this hotel. Close to the Notre Dame Cathedral, train station and many restaurants, this hotel was very convenient. Rooms were small but well taken care. Staff was friendly and spoke English and was helpful with directions. We didn't spend much time in the room during the day but we were able to walk to many locations from our hotel including the Notre Dame Cathedral, the Louvre, and Musee d'Orsay. We even walked to the Eiffel Tower, but that was a bit of a hike.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband use to stay here many times while traveling to France. This was my 3rd time here since 2004. It seems management does not want to update it's decor, this hotel is now run-down and need of updating. The carpet same as in 2004 had yellowish stains everywhere ( we did not remove our shoes) the bedspreads are the same from the 80's. The bed sheets had a tear. Shows management doesn't care about quality. For 20 euros more you can get a better newly renovated hotel just down the street! We will never book here again.

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My family and I stayed in hotel des carmes for 3 nights, we are a family of 6 persons so we booked 2 triple rooms. One of our rooms had a balcony with a partial view of both the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Pantheon. Our other room had a courtside view which wasn't so bad also. The hotel itself is a little dated but kept very clean. Marie at the front desk is friendly and very helpful, i wasnt able to get the name of the other front desk man but he was also nice. The rooms are spacious for European standards, we had ample space for our luggage and still have room to move around. The bathroom was a little small but not cramped. Having airconditioning in the room was a definite plus since the weather and temperature in Paris varied while we we're there.

Location: We loved the location! The metro station was just down the street, Restaurants and cafes are nearby. The Notre dame Cathedral is an easy 5-10 min walk from the hotel depending on your pace so is the Pantheon. The hotel is located in a quiet street, away from the touristy streets. It's also convenient since the Hop on hop off buses all stop at the Notre Dame.

Breakfast: We only had one breakfast there during our stay because we opted to eat breakfast in one of the cafes in the area since we got more for the same price as the hotel.

Overall: I would definitely book with Hotel des carmes again and recommend it to others as well. =)

Room Tip: Request for a room on the street side. =)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel is ideally located in the Latin Quarter, an ideal base when exploring Paris and within easy walking distance to the metro, Pantheon, Notre Dame to name a few. It is also close to many good restaurants and cafes. At the end of the road there is a strip of little shops which include a wine shop, cheese shop, bakery, green grocer etc - great if you want to put a picnic together for dinner by the eiffel ;-)
The hotel is quite basic and the rooms rather small and a little outdated. Not that we cared at all - it was also extremely clean and the bed super comfy. The staff are lovely and even lets us borrow utensils and plates for our picnic. This hotel is fantastic value for Paris and I will be sure to stay here again when I next visit Paris

Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was trying to find a reasonably-priced hotel in the Latin Quarter and finally came upon this. It seemed too good to be true so I was worried about the quality. I worried over nothing. It is a simple place, like a Motel 6 level place, but that is all I need for Paris. The price was right too. Next time I'm in Paris, I'm heading back to Hotel des Carmes. BTW, there is a great Italian restaurant, Il Pescatore, on the corner. They have the best eggplant parmesan ever.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was one of the best hotel abroad experiences I've ever had. My friend and I (both in our mid-twenties) were looking for a great location, in a safe neighborhood for a good price, and we got all of this in spades with Hotel Des Carmes (there is a metro station within a minutes walk, and Notre Dame and the the Pantheon are within easy walking distance as well). The design of the hotel is modest, but the rooms are comfortable and clean, and the location and the staff are wonderful. If you're looking for a true Paris experience, you can't go wrong here.

As a testament (and a thank you!) to the wonderful staff: Our early morning flight was delayed by 6 hours on our way out of Paris, so we went back to the hotel to see if we could try to sign back into our room to get some sleep. Not only did the extremely friendly desk manager let us back in our room, they allowed us complimentary use of their phone to contact our next hotel to let them know of our late arrival.

I will be staying at this hotel on my next visit to Paris!

Room Tip: Try to choose a room with a street view, it's beautiful!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel des Carmes? Share your experiences!