“Great, but not all it's cracked up to be” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #39 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great, but not all it's cracked up to be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The hotel is close to the Europe metro station and Saint-Lazare train station. There's a supermarket directly over the road and several restaurants down the street. The bed was very comfortable and felt like sleeping on a cloud! The hotel and rooms were clean with traditional decor. Wi-Fi was fast and efficient, on the first floor at least. The staff were friendly and cracked jokes with us. It was expensive for what it was, but I guess that's Paris for you. No coffee or tea making facilities were in the room. The lift was broken, so we were put on the first floor, but I was hoping to be put on a higher floor for the views. Breakfast isn't included and costs €9 for continental and €13 for buffet, so instead we went out to get breakfast at a cafe for about €5.

Room Tip: I wanted a room higher up for the views, but was given a room on the first floor due to the broken l...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Catherine W, Directeur général at New Orient Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Guests,

We thank you for your visit in our hotel taking time to share your impressions about your stay with us.

We are sorry that the lift was out of order during a few hours but it was due to the exceptionally high temperature in Paris which influenced the lift cables as in many other buildings and hotels in Paris. Fortunately it did not last very long and we really did our best to help our guests as much as we could.

Concerning the breakfast rate, of course we cannot give a full breakfast with very good quality products as much as you want, with a nice service, for only 5€ , as it does not even cover our ground costs for a continental breakfast. Also we understand that 9€ can be too much for some of our guests and are pleased to have bakeries in the area providing 1 coffee and 1 croissant for 5€.

In spite of this, we are also pleased to read that you appreciated our service and bed comfort .

Wishing you all the best,

with our best regards

Catherine Wehrle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I actually stayed in this hotel back in 2012 but I am glad to see that it still is getting rave reviews. I thought I might add my own since it still seems to ring true.

I took my daughter to Paris to celebrate her 13th birthday and she was not disappointed. The people in this hotel are truly delightful. When they found out that it was my daughter's birthday they even bought her a charming little souvenir as a present. Even more incredibly they did not cringe when I tried out my rusty french on them, they even encouraged it!

As for the room we had, although small, it was neat as a pin and, as we were at the rear of the hotel, very quiet. I agree that for breakfast it's a better idea to scoot around the corner to the local boulangerie. There are also local restaurants around that offer simple and simply delicious french fare. I don't know what magic the french have with salad dressings but the simplest vinaigrette at the humblest bistro is far better than anything I've had at most 5 star restaurants.

Transportation is so easy. Although I didn't want to try the Metro for fear of getting lost with my daughter there was a taxi stand just down the street. This is an expensive but very comfortable option.

I can't wait to go back!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. We chose this hotel after seeing all the good reviews on tripadvisor. We definitely weren't disappointed. Everything is so charming about this hotel and our rooms, though small, was very clean, cosy and provided a homey feel despite the crazy walking, sight-seeing and shopping me and husband did throughout our stay in Paris. Breakfast is decently priced. But if you want to save on breakfast, a Boulangerie is just located on the right hand side of the hotel. The supermarket is just directly across the street and the hotel is surrounded by little restaurants. So you'll never run out of food. There is also free wifi.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. Just 15 mins walk to Lafayette and an additional 10 mins walk to Rue St Honore. There are 3 metro stations located around the hotel, namely, Villiers, Europe and St Lazare. We arrived Paris from Gare du Nord and took metro line 4 to Barbes Rochechouart before changing to metro line 2 to Villiers. Heading home, we took the metro to L'opera to take the Roissybus to CDG airport.

Lastly, compliments to the owners, Catherine and Josef and their staff for making us feel welcome and right at home. We will certainly be back at New Orient for our next visit!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I spent three nights here recently on a quick trip from London. The welcome was warm and check in was amazingly efficient. Although the room was small, it was very clean and tastefully decorated. The view of the Haussmann streetscape in the 8eme was delightful. From this hotel it is easy to catch a train to Giverny from Gare St Lazare, stroll down to Galeries Lafayette and the Opera district as well as visitt some local museums like the Jacquemart-Andre. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Front rooms have nice view and balcony, but when windows open noise could be an issue. Double glazin...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Gorokan, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We enjoyed our 4 night stay here as it felt like we were really in Paris. We loved our balcony room overlooking the Parisian street! The hotel itself was quaint, extremely clean, the rooms very pleasant with a comfortable bed and modern bathroom. The managers/owners were extremely helpful and accommodating with arranging for airport transport and directions to tourist sites. The hotel is within easy walking distance of some restaurants, nearby metro train stations which can take you to any of the tourist destinations and the Montmarte district.
. Breakfast could be brought from the hotel itself. There is a supermarket across the street, where we bought our fruit and yoghurt for breakfast or a bakery down the road
. Can thoroughly recommend the New Orient as a Paris experience!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are delightful.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband and I recently spent 5 nights at the New Orient Hotel, and we were so happy with our choice. This is a wonderful, small, very charming, very Parisian hotel located nearby to many restaurants, and 2 metro stops. Easy walking distance to Printemps and Galleries Lafayette, about a 20-30 minute walk to Arc de Triomphe, with another 20 minute walk onwards to the Eiffel Tower. You can take the bus at the end of the road, at 2,00 per person will take you straight to Trocadero via the Arc de Triomphe - very handy! Our room was beautiful, extremely clean, and with all the amenities; wardrobe, safe, large newly renovated bathroom, and fantastic WiFi! We had a cute little balcony with geraniums, and we enjoyed wine that we purchased from the grocery store across the street a few evenings during our stay. The beds were very comfortable and we slept really well, and were not bothered by any noise from the street. We also never heard anything from the other rooms, there were other guests on our floor and there was no noise whatsoever. The staff was extremely helpful with our luggage, having it brought up to our room within a few minutes of our arrival. There is a small elevator, just big enough for 2, or you can take the spiral staircase for a little exercise! The staff spoke English well and were always available to assist with any of our inquiries. We had the continental breakfast twice while there, and while expensive at 9,00 euros per person it was very convenient before starting our day. My husband was also able to make tea to bring up to our room in the evening. We would highly recommend the New Orient Hotel to anyone visiting Paris and wanting an authentic Parisian experience in a good quality hotel at reasonable rates.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel has got to have the best customer service and the nicest staff of any hotel under 5 stars that I have ever stayed at. They happily took a last minute booking, helped with our bags, took email messages from me to my mum when I was running late, and printed off a train ticket for us which we had forgotten.

The hotel is on a quiet street and is very close to the metro Villiers. It is a tiny bit off the tourist track but we loved that because the food at the restaurants was better, and cheaper, and there were not vast crowds of people everywhere! We had an amazing dinner at Le Bistrot des Vignes, nearby. I really recommend the desert tasting plate which comes with tea or coffee.

Also check out the Nissim de Camondo Museum which is very close. It's sort of like a small, uncrowded Versailles. Definitely worth a look!

The beds were comfortable, the room was spotless, the shower/bathroom new and renovated, and the room was nicely decorated.

If you are not very nimble be careful of the beautiful old oval staircase, which can be tricky. There is a lift however and the people at the hotel are extremely helpful about helping with luggage.

Overall a fantastic stay. Wish it was longer! I will be back :)

Stayed July 2014

Been to New Orient Hotel? Share your experiences!