“Perfect stay for a Paris trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #13 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Perfect stay for a Paris trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

What a great find, right from when we arrived to when we left you could not ask for better personal service! This place is the place to stay if the want to experience the real Paris. It is only a short metro ride to the sights.Then you can return back and people watch all night long from numerous cafes and restaurants. in the warmer nights you can even join the locals for a baguette, cheese and wine on the banks of the canal at the front of the hotel - what an experience!
We had a room on the top floor, very spacious and picturesque views! Thank you to Patrick, Eric and the rest of the team, we will be back with our family soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Wakefield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights on our first trip to Paris. Not knowing the city, we chose this hotel partly on the reviews here plus the location quite close to Gare du Nord for Eurostar. 10 minute stroll and you are at the hotel, easy to find with the canal clearly marked on every map.
The staff must be the most pleasant, helpful and welcoming bunch you could hope to meet. Absolutely nothing is too much trouble and the breakfast service is superb. No plastic smiles here.
We had room 22 so second floor with a nice view of the canal and although this is a busy traffic light controlled junction, we were not disturbed at all by any noise. This is a good sized room with lots of wardrobe and shelf space and nice comfy bed. Very clean too. This room has a shower, no bath, but came with dressing gowns, slippers and toiletries and was a decent size.
The iPad was a nice novelty but the contents of the minibar were a little odd. We thought the hotel had a small bar as they advertise the drinks between 6 and 7pm but they don't. This really is a shame and we think they are missing a trick here. After exploring on foot all day, returning around 9pm, shower and changed, how relaxing it would be to have a beer or two rather than going back out again on already sore feet!
The minibar had one Coke, one diet Coke, one water, one fizzy water, one bottle of beer, one bottle of a smoothie type drink and a bottle of grapefruit based juice: in total 7 drinks. As there is no bar, maybe 4 Heineken, 2 water, 2 Coke? An even number for two people?
When exploring we prefer to walk rather than use the metro, underground etc so the hotel is a long way from the attractions, a long way in fact. So, if you leave the Louvre at say, 7pm, it is not convenient to nip back to the hotel to shower and change before a meal in the city centre. Factor in a taxi or metro ride for this.
Having read some reviews which concerned personal safety and the neighbourhood, we found no problems at all even quite late at night in not so well lit streets. The immigrant areas may look intimidating with groups of youths but absolutely no issues at all.
In summary, an excellent little hotel (more like a classy B&B really), handy for Eurostar, next to the canal with outstanding staff. Just a very odd minibar selection really......!

Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

One of the best hotels we have ever stayed at in a big city. Rooms are a bit small but modern and comfortable. Location is great - on the lovely canal and a couple of minutes from various metro stations. Staff was super helpfull and nice. Breakfast was fantastic. We are waiting for the chance to return there.

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have just returned from a two night stay. I initially booked the city room, which wasn't big enough to swing a chat! The pillow cases had holes in and the tiny shower looked totally unappealing to say the least. I made the reception aware and they were kind enough to upgrade my room. The minibar is nothing to write home about a bag of crisps and a granola bar. The drinks are an awful concoction of choices! Luckily they had filtered water in the room. The street noise kept me awake on Saturday night, dread to think what it would be like on a lower floor. I came back around 2pm.to find my room hadn't been cleaned I was surprised. I told reception and they got it done after I had complained. Breakfast was not extensive. Came back for a drink in the hotel between 6-7 and was surprised to find out they had run out of red wine! Unfortunately being the weekend the best restaurant they recommend was closed. Don't get me wrong the staff are a friendly bunch but there advice on alternatives was poor. The website is all well and good but you need to be able to get first hand advice from reception when you are unfamiliar with the area! I was disappointed as everyone seemed to rave about this aspect, in my opinion it fell well short of my expectations. In the end I felt like it wasn't worth asking. Wasn't told about the free landline calls upon arrival, luckily I had read about this on a previous trip advisor comment! Location wise it's fantastic for the Eurostar and having a fully loaded ipad was a great touch.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
sophieberdah, Propriétaire at Le Citizen Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
It is disheartening to read such a negative review despite all the extra efforts on behalf of my staff.
As you mention, you made us aware of all your remarks during your stay and we did our very best to be as accommodating as possible including upgrading your room for free, which we rarely do as we are such a small establishment-- but luckily we were able to switch with my friend who was staying there those days.
There are of course sometimes moments where things are not perfect ( running out of red wine during our free happy hour, a selection ( that I've personally made) in your free minibar not to your taste ( alain milliat fruit juices/ local artisanal beer/coca cola/ organic limonade) and lastly your room not yet cleaned when you came back one day ( as we prioritize new arrivals), but when clear efforts are made that should more than make up for these frustrations.
Regards,
Sophie
New York City, New York, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

First, the good. The hotel staff are very, very nice. That's the best thing about Le Citizen. (This is why it's difficult to write this review, but I feel it is necessary for all those considering it and are impressed by the high TripAdvisor ranking - like I was, and the reason I booked it.) The location is also good, within reasonable walking distance from Gare de l'Est. The inclusion of breakfast and minibar in the rate are a nice touch but more on that later.

I was really looking forward to staying at what I thought was a rather posh boutique hotel. I paid 249 Euros for one night, staying in the junior suite. I got room 11 on the 1st floor. I thought the room size was adequate but nothing one could call a junior suite. Maybe it was large for the hotel's standards, but this wasn't my first time in Paris and this room was about the same size as normal rooms elsewhere. If you have a room on the 1st floor, be warned. You are very close to the street. If traffic noise bothers you (and people walking by being able to see you if you stand by the window), ask for a higher floor.

As soon as I entered the room, there was a very strong scent of deodorizer, as if trying to mask some other kind of bad smell. I had to open the windows to vent the room but it never went away. Then there was no toilet paper in the bathroom - just 1 or 2 squares stuck to the cardboard core. How can anyone clean a hotel room and not refresh the toilet paper? So we tried the tissue box. What was inside was not tissue but the kind of rough paper towels that you find in public restrooms. There were a few sheets folded in half stuck inside the tissue box! I couldn't believe this was what I was getting for 249 Euros a night. I called reception and the very nice guy brought up a roll of toilet paper and an apology.

Since we arrived around 8pm, we wanted to enjoy as much of Paris in the few hours before leaving in the morning. We came back to the hotel around 1am and were very tired. One of the lights weren't working and when I inspected under the shade, there was a broken bulb. Not one that had burned out, but it was literally broken. Too tired to call reception we just went to bed.

In the morning I was really looking forward to breakfast because they kind of make a big deal about it on their website. It was just OK. The torn bits of ham on the narrow slab were paltry. They had already cut up bits of cheese stored in a jar - presumably to make it easier to put away later. The croissants were delivered after we started, but so delicious and fresh. There wasn't a lot of variety of anything but sufficient enough. I suspect they make their own yogurt. We were eventually offered cooked eggs (not readily put out but made to order). And of course, the guy running everything was absolutely pleasant and helpful.

I wouldn't call the minibar bountiful. A bag of chips and a granola bar, along with 3 tiny cookies presented on a doily. There was a can of Coke, Diet Coke, a bottle of beer, juice that seemed a bit old, and a bottle of grapefruit soda. When I reached for the grapefruit soda, I noticed the seal was broken! It didn't appear to have been drunk, just opened, but I was grossed out and put it back. There were also a bottle each of still and sparking water, which I presume to have been from a filtration system like Natura. That didn't bother me because I agree with their efforts at eco-friendliness. The whole thing was a nice touch, but don't get too excited about the "free" minibar.

The good thing about the bathroom was that it had a deep tub. The bad thing about the bathroom was that the shower door didn't close all the way (it's one of those half foldy things that don't extend the entire length of the tub) and there was visible mold in corners. The fact that half of it kept swinging open meant puddles on the floor. Also, the grout on the walls and on the floor appeared scummy.

None of this was as bad as when I lifted the duvet to get into bed only to find various hairs of different size and texture, and some dark lint. The sheet on the bed and pillowcases looked fresh, so I have to think that the duvet cover was what was unwashed. Again, I was too tired to complain or switch rooms or wait for someone to remake the bed so I took one of the robes, inspected it for hair and other unwanted bits, and used it as a blanket.

So I have mixed feelings about this place. I had high expectations and they were definitely not met. But the staff are so nice! I was warmly greeted upon check-in and a different guy who checked me out was equally warm and pleasant. When they confirmed my reservation over email, they offered car service. I decided to order it to take us to the airport, and had no problems whatsoever. The driver was very nice, and the ride was smooth and problem-free. My guess is that the staff interacting with guests are not the same people cleaning the rooms. In which case, management really needs to know about the substandard way in which housekeeping is handled. It's really unfair to the front line staff because their efforts are not being matched. And if it is the same people cleaning the rooms, management really should consider getting separate housekeeping staff because it's clear they're not cut out for doing that side of the job.

Lastly, I was asked to pay upon checking in. The guy wasn't pushy, and he gave me the option of paying upon check-out. I didn't really care so I told him to charge me right there and then. He did. Then when I checked out I was again asked to pay (it was a different person). Turns out they couldn't find the credit card slip that I signed or any proof of payment. Not sure what happened there, but I guess I'll find out later. The check-out guy knew we had a flight to catch and he said he'd look into it and tell me before charging my card. Fair enough. Will update you if it turns out messy.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are very close to the street. If you're bothered by noise ask for higher floo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
sophieberdah, Propriétaire at Le Citizen Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I am very bothered , and grateful to read your comment and would first off like to apologize.

You had the extreme kindness to take the time to write a very detailed comment and be assured that I have checked every single point of your review.

As a matter of fact, nothing was noticeable today but I can now confirm ( as I have checked with the housekeeper) that :
- All the bedding had been changed for sure (the night before you stayed, your room was set up in king size beds and for you , we changed it into twin beds as you requested )
- The light bulb was not broken ( but the very bizarre shape of these bulbs can let you think it was... it's those energy saving bulbs...) .
- Toilet paper was unfortunately placed behind the towels and I can imagine that at that time of the night you didn't find it. Again I am sorry for that.

This is the first time in almost three years that we get such a comment. I have spoken to all the housekeeping team to be sure that they understand that each detail is very important for our guests and that we have to be very careful .
We do hope you will give us another chance and stay with us again!

Sophie, Owner
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Le Citizen was without doubt, one of the friendliest, helpful and enjoyable hotel stays we have ever had! From the greeting on arrival to the little details such as the free 6pm aperitifs, fully loaded Ipad, location and recommendations/bookings at some of Paris' best bistros, we never wanted to leave. The bed was too too comfortable, the breakfast is served til 11am, the mini bar is free and had we wanted, we could have called any landline in the world for free! Merci Eric and Laure!

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Fabulous place to stay when visiting Paris. Staff extremely friendly and helpful - Eric, Patrick & Co really look after you. Give you plenty of peace for a relaxing stay yet always on hand for advice (going to PSG game, restaurant reservations, metro lines etc). Clean, chic, modern, quirky boutique hotel. ipad given to you at check-in and wifi superb. Great part of Paris to stay in with so many varied places to eat with 2 minutes walk. Metro stop close by as well as large train station. When back in Paris I'll be staying here.

Room Tip: Faultless hotel no matter what room you stay in.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Citizen Hotel? Share your experiences!