“Give it a miss” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Vendome

You added Hotel de Vendome to your Saves list
Hotel de Vendome
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Place Vendome, 75001 Paris, France (Louvre / Place Vendôme)   |
Ranked #352 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Sydney
“Give it a miss”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

So, I'm going to start by saying the hotel is absolutely beautiful, and in a great location. It really is lovely. I also have no major gripes with the hotel, just a collection of small fails that added up to meh, don't stay here again.
I'm not just after a good spot or nice fit out; I actually want my hotel room to work like a hotel room and the staff to get the basics right. So, from the start: I'm a SLH member, and on my read my stay should have entitled us to a free breakfast. I wasn't sure so I asked the staff member. She never got back to me.
Secondly, when we arrived, late-ish in the evening, the lift was broken. So, these things happen, but it stayed broken for three days. No elevator repairpeople in Paris maybe? I normally don't mind taking the stars but after a full day of walking around the city, three flights of stairs was not appealing.
Thirdly, the first day we got back and walked up three flights of stairs, neither of our cards worked to let us into the room. So, back down we go. The apology was perfunctory, but then we get told, 'this only happens when you have your cards near your mobile.' Now, I didn't and my husband's wasn't close in his bag. Tthis was clearly receptionist code for 'it's your fault'. Giving the recptionist the benefit of the doubt, the next day I kept my card next to my phone. Like, strapped to it with a elastic band. Guess what? It worked. What will stop both cards working though is your receptionist coding them wrong in the first place.
Fourth - and this is really the only thing that should stop you staying here - the bath is a bit of a death trap. It's shower over bath, not the safest arrangement but not an uncommon one. However it's also elevated, and it has a screen that covers three-quarters of the bath entry, so you have to step up and you step only the slanting part of the bath. No handles, and the water goes everywhere so it's slippery. I'm youngish and reasonably nimble, so not a problem for me, but it's the sort of bath care workers look at in people's houses and recommend nursing homes, because it's a broken hip waiting to happen.

So overall, pretty but not practical. There's any number of expensive hotels in Paris, and next time I'm trying another one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The Hotel de Vendome is the very best. The staff, the cleanliness and best of all, the location. Just 3 or 4 blocks from the Louvre, all the great restaurants, in historical Vendome.
We were there a few times, the first one for our honeymoon four years ago. It is really, super and the suites are worth, every penny.

Room Tip: It pays to get a two room suite. Very french and very, romantic
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Clermont-Ferrand, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We spent two nights there this week and loved it. The staff were wonderful and attentive, the room very comfortable but a little small. The bathroom was huge and furnished with lots of little extras and sumptious bath robes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a long weekend in Paris to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were really impressed with Hotel de Vendome. The staff were so friendly and helpful, even helping my husband plan a few surprise meals/events for us before we arrived in Paris. The location is of course excellent. You have everything you need within walking distance. We didn't take the Metro once. The hotel itself is lovely and quaint. They've obviously had a refurb not too long ago as everything is to 5* standard. Even though you're in the heart of Paris, the double glazing works amazingly well as we couldn't hear a thing.

The hotel and staff are absolutely excellent and I would recommend Hotel de Vendome in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Etc1, Resident Manager at Hotel de Vendome, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words.
We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay and we thank you for choosing the HOTEL DE VENDOME to celebrate such a special and beautiful event.
Hopefully we will have the pelasure of welcoming you back for many other anniversaries to come.
Warm regards from the Hôtel de Vendôme Team!

Etiennette Clamouze
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a WONDERFUL hotel in the heart of Paris! Wonderful location, near the Louvre and Rue Rivoli, as well as shopping. The excellent staff is gracious and professional. The rooms were quiet and beautifully decorated. The restaurant is cozy yet very classy. This place was worth every penny (euro)!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights with my wife. Booked a double delux room at what was a good price for this grade of hotel. On check-in the staff were extremely polite and efficient. The lift is small but works well. The room was well appointed and large for a Paris Hotel. Had no problems at any time during our stay. Have read some bad reports re internet but we had no issues.

The hotel is well located for several of the major Paris sights - reasonable walking distance to most. We did not eat at the Hotel restaurant but there are many good quality restaurants in the vinicity.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Isle of Wight
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is wonderful. The smallest 5 star in Paris with a friendly and excellent service.
The bedroom was quiet, airy, light, spacious and just right for the 3 night stay I had.
A special mention must go to the house keeping who ironed my shirts within minutes and sewed a button on my jacket within seconds - very efficient
Breakfast was quiet and tasteful. There is no buffet just à la carte - home away from home.
All in all an excellent hotel with a great service in a fantastic location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel de Vendome? Share your experiences!