“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ermitage Hotel Sacre-Coeur

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ermitage Hotel Sacre-Coeur
You added Ermitage Hotel Sacre-Coeur to your Saves list
24 Rue Lamarck | 18 Arr., 75018 Paris, France (Montmartre)   |
Ranked #238 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Surrey, UK
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

It's been over five months since returning from our stay in Paris at L'ermitage Hotel and I have finally got around to writing this review.

The great service this hotel offered started for me before our holiday began. You have to phone up to make a booking, which was daunting for me, a school girl French speaker at best! I telephoned the hotel and tried to make the reservation in my best French, only to be spoken back to in charming broken English by Madam who took my reservation and assured me that although Paris was totally full (it was one of the rugby world cup weekends) my reservation was made. I was looking forward to arriving at this hotel then, before my holiday had even started.

On arrival at L’ermitage, we could not have been greeted more warmly. Madame showed us to our room, the smallest she had and on the road side of the building, but it was clean, the road was not very busy and it had everything we needed - comfy bed, big wardrobe and a table & chairs for breakfast.

Our bathroom was tiny, but again very clean and worked well. Actually although the shower was small, it was a really good shower! Breakfasts were jugs of yummy hot chocolate, bread, jam & butter, delivered to your room every morning. You get woken up by someone if it looks like you might miss breakfast.

I would recommend anyone to stay in this hotel, while our room was not the best in the hotel (it was a bit small), it was spotless & warm. We were well looked after and in the perfect spot, literally 3 minutes walk to the Sacre Coeur. For the price, it was a bargin and I would go back tomorrow.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

I read about this charming little hotel in Montmartre in my TimeOut guidebook, and it was a perfect spot to stay in for the one night I was there. The owners were extremely friendly. The location was great if you want to spend time in Montmartre. It's not a luxury hotel, but it was clean and perfectly suited my needs. Breakfast was included in the price, which was perfect in order to get out early to see the town. The shower was tiny, but it worked. If you're looking to stay just a couple of nights, and prefer to stay in Montmartre, this is a great spot!

• Liked — Location & price
  • Disliked — small shower, toilet in hall
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

I stayed at this wonderful little place for six nights together with my boyfriend. We stayed in one of the studios with a separate entrance, which was perfect for us. The location was wonderful just close to the very touristic area around the Sacré Coeur, but still a bit away from the worst crowd. The area around Lamarck-Caulaincourt is very charming and it easily feels as if you are one of "the locals".

The room was very small but sooo charming with flowered walls and matching bedspreads, so we didn't really mind. I mean, we had no intention of spending our Paris stay hiding in the hotel room!.. A big "armoir" swallowed all our clothes which also was good... And the view from the window was splendid overlooking a small backyard and the whole of Paris. We woke up each morning to the birds chirping and the sun in our eyes :) The small kitchenette and the (small) bathroom were very fresh and nice. There was no cooking plate, but a microwave where you could make your food.

The only thing that could bother us were the pillows (more like tubes) and the fact that the walls weren't exactly sound proof. That actually seems to be very common in Parisian hotels, though. The fact that you have to walk a bit from the metro to get there (which some of the reviews say) didn't bother us a bit!

The staff was helpful and the cleaning was great!

That studio was perfect and we felt as if we had our own little place above the rooftops in Paris :) I would definitely stay there again, even if I didn't get that studio. But I would definitely ask for a room with a view - that made our day every morning.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

Paris needs no introduction, but nestled on a quiet backstreet just behind the Sacre Coeur is the Ermitage Hotel, and it is quite possibly one of the best kept secrets Paris has to offer. This small hotel is outstandingly good value.

Staying at the Ermitage is a delight. It is a small hotel with very friendly staff, who speak English well and give French lessons as they prepare breakfast. All the little touches. The breakfast is quaint and continental with freshly baked croissants, bottomless bowls of chocolat chaude, and proper cups of coffee. The whole place feels authentically French and catapulted straight out of some Moulin Rouge bohemian dreamworld. The style is art nouveau with authentic charm, gilded chandeliers, checkerboard floors, and a lot of textured fabric on the walls, all of which giving the place a very rich sensual feel. Our bedroom had an enormous amount of personality and unique character- it felt opulent and decadent, whilst cosy and intimate. A truly unique hotel at an extremely reasonable price. The hotel has Lonely Planet and Rough Guide guide books which can be borrowed for the duration of your stay, and the steps of the Sacre Coeur are just metres away... and from there atop Montmartre , breathtaking views of the most celebrated romantic city. Paris je t'aime. Especially magical by night.

• Liked — the bedroom decor
  • Disliked — Lack of internet facility, purely bed and breakfast so no bar or food. But five stars for what it does provide.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Champaign
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

There is probably nothing I will say here that has not already been said by the previous reviewers, based off which and a NY times review I had made my reservation at this quaint place. Yes making a reservation is an arduous process particularly when you are coming from a country that is not in the western hemisphere. That said, it was worth it! The rooms are old in a nice way. It is clean and comfortable. Take the rooms in the basement (11 and 12) and they open out to a beautiful terrance garden. The hosts (mother and daughter duo, the third generation is also becoming a part of it!) are wonderfully friendly, warm and helpful. Of course the best part is you walk out of the hotel and you can see the beautiful sacre couer cathedral. The metro is close enough as are many many many lovely bistros and cafes around the area.

Stayed June 2007
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

This is a very charming hotel run by two women in the Montmartre district. But there are things I'd like others to know: The hotel only takes cash & the owners make you send them a deposit after you make the reservation (by fax) in a Euro Traveler's Cheque form -- not that easy to attain in the US. The rooms are beautiful, fabric walls, heavy doors and a free breakfast of croissants, coffee, etc. But don't plan on lounging in your room all day because they want you to leave by 11:30am or noon so they can clean the rooms and they'll call you to ask, "when you sortie?" Rooms, by the way, they clean better than any hotel I've ever stayed in, but they touch your things and rearrange everything, just, I think, to be super tidy. They are very nice and helpful in that French way. You must stay as long as you've promised as I heard others try and leave early to much dismay and their deposit taken. It really is a lovely hotel but I think it's important for people to know what they're walking into.

Stayed March 2007
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2007

L'Ermitage Hotel is a hidden gem in Paris -- probably one of the best kept secret in the city. The hotel is situated in the lovely Montmatre neighborhood within a stone's throw of the Sacre Coeur Basilica. The area is quiet and peaceful and near the Lamark-Cualiancourt Metro Station, on the route of the Montmatrobus, and close to major avenues in the 18th Arrondisment. The hotel, like the neighborhood, is far from the hustle and bustle of central Paris, major landmarks landmarks and places of interests (except the Basilica and Moulin Rouge). This could be a good or bad thing, depending on how close you want to be to everything. This hotel, which is really more of a bed and breakfast, is a great respite and sanctuary from the tourist action of Paris.

I visited the Ermitage for the first time during the Christmas holidays. I'm a frequent visitior to Paris and love to stay in the Montmatre area. As soon as I stepped into the hotel, I felt at home. I was warmly greeted by Madame Canipel who took my bags and sat me down to rest from my overnight trip. The hotel was nicely decorated for the holiday season.

I was shown to my room, (#12), and it was simply adorable. The furniture was simple, and although the bed wasn't the most comfortable I've ever slept in, you won't care much after returning from a long day walking around Paris. Warm bedding was provided. The pillow is more of a neck roll, and not your standard pillow, but I found it was comfy, but if you are particular about neck/head support, you may want to bring your own. There was a lovely rustic wardrobe (with the old long metal key) that provided adequate storage for my several bags, but that is the only storage that is there. There was adequate lighting, and a two table lamps. The carpet in the sleeping area is not very wonderful, but it is in good condition. The room has a radiator that makes the room nice and toasty if you are visiting during a colder seasons. The room has large windows that open up to the gorgeous little garden patio. There is a small view of the Paris rooftops. There is no television in the room, but I loved it because it kept with the tranquil atmosphere of the hotel and the neighborhood.

The bathroom is a bit more modern looking that the bedroom. It is nicely tiles with modern fixtures -- the tub has a hand held shower, and the bathroom was always clean and spotless. The bathroom floor is always warm to the touch. There is nothing in the way of toiletries, except a small bar of soap for hand washing. There is a blow dryer installed in the wall, but I didn't use it.

Each morning a small breakfast is served by Madame Canipel. It consists of basically croissants or another bread, preserves, and milk or juice. It's good to stave off immediate hunger until you find something more substantial for breakfast (and there are LOTS good places around the hotel).

My entire time I was there, I didn't feel like I was in a hotel, but in someone's home as a guest. The Canipel's are so kind and hospitable, and Madame was like a doting grandmother to me (I am a solo female traveler), she offered advice and concern for me. Even though I visit Paris several times a year, she gave me new words of wisdom to make sure I stayed safe. She can direct you to the best places for eating, drinking, shopping, relaxing...you name it !!

The hotel only takes cash or traveler's cheques (in Euros). No credit cards. Reservations and communications with the hotel are done via phone or fax. The Canipel's speak good English, so if you don't speak French very well, that is not a problem.

I love the Ermitage and I will make it my hotel on my frequent visits to France.

• Liked — Warm hosts, quiet and cozy, neighborhood.
  • Disliked — Quality of the carpet in the rooms
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ermitage Hotel Sacre-Coeur? Share your experiences!