“Absolutely perfect hotel!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #576 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
West Allis, WI
“Absolutely perfect hotel!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2005

My daughter and I just spent several days at the Hotel du Louvre and we were nervous after reading previous web postings about the cigarette smoke odor in the rooms. We requested a room on one of the two non-smoking floors. The room was beautiful with a view of the Louvre outside our window, not a hint of any cigarette odor and a staff that could not do enough to assist with any requests. Frankly, we never were aware of cigarette odor anywhere in the hotel (elevators, restaurant, lobby) so I hope that doesn't stop anyone from booking a room. We could find nothing negative about this wonderful hotel and I only wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2005

The Hotel du Louvre by far is one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in; please take my recommendation, I’m a tough sell and I research everything before I proceed. The location is ideal if you are a museum buff, it’s close to a few world class museums. The hotel is steps away from the Metro and bus lines, which is ideal getting around Paris.

The hotel is a boutique style and very charming. The concierge staff is in a class by itself. We found them to be extremely helpful with great recommendations. As Americans, they treated us with kind. The hotel staff is friendly, polite and professional. Our room was great and the bathroom was even better. Both rooms had French doors that lead out to a very small balcony overlooking the Louvre Museum (you should call in advance requesting the Louvre side).

I recommend the hotel and I would stay there again.

Stayed September 2004
North carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2005

We just returned from a stay at Hotel Du Louvre and it was wonderful!
After reading some posts I was somewhat concerned, BUT we found the room was wonderful aside from poor lighting in the room itself. The bed was comfortable-only one thing I could pick on is not any space for clothes if you are staying more than a couple of days. Also had great breakfasts!
Concierge were very helpful and everyone was very nice to Americans, and all spoke English. Always helpful if you greet anyone with Bonjour or Bonsoir and Merci.
I would highly recommend this hotel and was an excellent location for walking to a lot of sites.

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2005

My husband and I spent a week in Paris to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We chose this hotel based on it's description and location. Thirty minutes before we were leaving home for the airport, the hotel called to say that they were having "technical difficulties" and needed to move us to another hotel for the first 5 nights. Needless to say, this was not the best way to start our vacation, but they graciously arrranged for us to stay at the Hotel InterContinental, nearby. The Hotel du Louvre paid for our transfer between hotels for our last 2 nights and upgraded us to a junior suite with a bottle of champaign waiting. The room very nicely decorated. The bathroom was very clean and the towels were huge. The staff was very nice and spoke English well. We found this to be the case all over Paris as well as the outlyling areas we visited. My only complaint was the smoke smell in the lobby. We had a non-smoking room and fortunately had no problems with smell or noise from adjacent rooms or floors. The location for both our hotels was perfect. Right next to the Louvre, the gardens, Opera House, easy walk to the Effiel Tower and Notre Dame. Easy access to the metro and RER systems. Definately recommend staying in the 1st district.

• Stayed September 2005
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2005

That sums it up in one word -- the location can't be beat! We were able to walk to Ile de la Cite, the Left Bank and the Champs Elysee. When we needed to venture further, the Palais Royale metro was right outside the door. We had a room on the first floor with 12' ceilings (at least) and it gave the room a feeling of light and spaciousness. The furnishings were gracious and very old-world, much like the rest of the hotel. The bathroom, however, was modern, with double sinks and a separate shower and tub. The breakfast buffet was included in our rate, and it was plentiful enough (with eggs, bacon and sausage and French toast, in addition to cereals, fruits, cold meats and cheeses and pastries) to get us through the afternoon. The staff was very accomodating and friendly ... special kudos to the concierge who recommended some wonderful bistros for dinner. All in all, the Hotel du Louvre is a wonderful hotel for visitors to Paris.

Stayed August 2005
Naugatuck, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2005

Bonjour!
I stayed in Hotel du Louvre for 8 wonderful nights. This was my first trip to Paris, but it will certainly NOT be my last! I absolutely LOVED Paris. As for the hotel, it was nice. This is of course my first experience in Paris so I have no other Hotel to compare the Louvre to. Once inside, we were welcomed with carpet and beautiful furniture. The people at the front desk all spoke english very well and the concierge was extremely helpful. Our room was on the 4th floor. I think we had a junior suite. While the room was small, it met our needs. It was equipped with 2 small twin beds that were pushed together and a small balcony. It had a small fridge in it that we squeezed some of our goodies into. It is cheeper to find a store and buy soda, water and snacks than it is to buy from the cafes that line Rivoli Street. For example, a single serving bottle of water on Rivoli Street cost 2 Euros...in the store, I found a large bottle for .79 euros. Another tip is to exchange money at the airport, they charge only 1.5% commission vs on the street where they charge 15%. I used my ATM for all purchases other than food, taxi, and the metro (subway). If you plan to stay in the district, make sure you have food BEFORE 10pm because everyone shuts down their kitchens and there is nothing left to eat.

Location Location Location! Absolutley fabulous! There was a carnival right around the corner from us. The Plaza De Lafayette mall was about a 20 minute walk. The metro was across the street and around the corner. Cafes and little shops line Rue de Rivoli and there is a McDonalds not to far away. The Seines river is a stones throw away, and whenever you need a cab, you can always walk to the circle and just tell the cabbie where you want to go.

I am so happy that I decided to go with my freind. On t.v. Paris does not look like fun. The way it is depicted, it seems like it is for old people but I learned first hand that the people of Paris are truley amazing and beautiful. I am a 27 year old single, African American female. We met so many nice guys it was unbelievable....White, Brown and everything in between.....I will never forget those wonderful, smiling faces...It was a blessing to be in a place where I was celebrated, not just tolerated. It was nice to see how everyone got along without the barriers we still face in the states.

My freind and I are both tiny but we felt completly safe in our hotel and walking the streets even in the wee hours of the night. The only thing about the hotel/Paris that was annoying was the smell of smoke in the hotel. Also many Parisians do smoke and as a nonsmoker, it's really annoying. But overall the hotel was nice, I would stay again. I am already looking forward to my next visit. It is the most amazing city that I have ever visited. While I was ready to come home and share my experiences, I hated to tell the city that I fell in love with avoir.....

• Stayed August 2005
Santa Clarita, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

If you are a history buff looking for a centrally located hotel, and don't mind forking out a few extra dollars, then the Hotel du Louvre is for you.

It's the perfect location, if you are planning on spending a lot of time in the Louvre. The hotel is directly across the street--so close, that with good aim, you could hit the museum with a paper airplane! Nearby is shopping, cafes and there's a Metro stop right next to the hotel.

You may appreciate that the hotel itself holds a place in history. In 1855, Napoleon III commissioned it for the Universal Exposition.

Keep in mind that the rooms are not as plush as one would expect for a hotel in this price range. Yet, they are good-sized (by European standards) and the bathroom towels are some of the largest I've ever seen. It's a unique property, and frankly there aren't many hotels where the bathroom has it's own view of the Louvre!

My tips. If you like croissants, don't get them at the hotel, unless of course you prefer a soft "Costco" like croissant. For true Parisian croissants (and excellent hot chocolate) go down the Rue de Rivoli to Angelina. And, if you want to splurge on a meal of a lifetime. Go to Le Grand Vefour, located in the Palais Royal next to the hotel. It is gorgeous and the food is to die for! You can save a few dollars as well if you order the fixed priced meal at lunchtime. Trust me, you won't regret it! RSVP about a month before you arrive and don't forget your coat and tie.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Hotel du Louvre? Share your experiences!