“So disappointed I actually left early!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Moulin Rouge

Moulin Rouge
82 Boulevard de Clichy, 75018 Paris, France (Montmartre)
33 01 53 09 82 82
Activities: Nightlife
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This risqué world-famous cabaret, performed in a 19th-century windmill, has been exciting audiences since 1900.
Oslo
“So disappointed I actually left early!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This had been my big dream for quite some time... Naively, I thought it might be somewhat reminiscent of the early days of the Moulin Rouge (just like the film of the same name), and if you too think this... then you will be greatly disappointed! However... this was not the first problem! Firstly we waited in line for about an hour. To 'avoid the cues' we arrived about 35 minutes early and were lucky enough to wait inside... but we were not seated until about 11.25pm. The show didn't start for another 20-25 minutes.

After booking tickets on line (show only, because I don't particularly like champagne) we were seated in THE WORST seats ever.... despite being very close to the front of the line. It seemed as though everyone else had booked champagne, so we got the cheap (CRAP) seats because we didn't. Now... you would assume at such a venue there would be a bar, or at least someone to take a drink order, but no. (NOWHERE ON THEIR WEBSITE DO THEY SAY THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE A BAR OR THAT YOU CAN'T ORDER OTHER DRINKS!)
The rude waiters did not even come our way. They were SO RUDE that when my boyfriend actually asked where the toilets were, his reply was; 'near the entrance - good luck!'

So here we were, the crappiest seats, no drinks whatsoever... and then the show begins! I thought at least I will love the show... and tried to feel good about it. But I was ohhhh so disappointed! Sure, the women were gorgeous... nice boobs and great legs... but the choreography was horrible... it was just horrible. No story line, no connection between the scenes... nothing besides loud music and great costumes. The dancers were like robots... so rehearsed at doing the scenes that they no longer have any joy in doing so... Oh, and did I mention all the songs are ridiculously mimed to playback???

The ONLY saving grace was the two acts in between the 'main acts'... they were circus performers. They were great!! We didn't even stay for the famous can can it was THAT BAD! We thought if we didn't leave when we did, it would take at least an hour to get out!

Overall, it was a horrible experience. I wanted to cry. All my expectations of an amazing night were shattered the minute we joined the queue. Spend your money elsewhere!!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
11 attraction reviews
“Do NOT waste your money on this!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was so disappointed in this show. I had read the reviews and decided to take a chance being one of the things to do "when in Paris". I cannot fathom how people gave this show a five star rating. I felt as though I was watching a high school talent show combined with a "dancing with the stars" reality show rehearsal meets a 1970's disco nightclub. Actually, I think a high school talent show may be better that this! At one point, I could not stop laughing at the ridiculousness of it all!
The choreography, songs, costumes and theatrics were atrocious! God forbid a fire were to start in that theatre as you are so cramped that you are literally shoulder to shoulder with the people beside you. I am unsure as to how the theatre gets away with cramming so many people in the place.
The only half interesting portion of the show was the comedian who came out in-between the dancing acts.
Also, the hosts do not even look at your tickets properly. The family in line in front of us were on the waiting list and informed multiple people that they had yet to pay for tickets and they were simply ushered in with the rest of the crowd. At least they didn't pay for this horrid performance!
I guess people see this based on the reputation, name, fame etc. but please, do not waste your money.
Perhaps we have seen to many Cirque shows, Broadway musicals and theatre plays that our expectations are too high...but I can't imagine how anyone would like this.
PS-the champagne is very poor quality-we could not even drink a half glass-do NOT buy!

Visited October 2012
WATERFORD, Connecticut
13 attraction reviews
“You have to go!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Moulin Rouge was worth the visit. We made a reservation the morning of our desired visit - no problem. We got there about a half hour before show time and beat the big crowd. We dressed up (not too overdone) and we were seated right in the front! They lip sync the songs, but the costumes (the little they are) are beautiful and the experience itself is worth the price tag.

Seville, Spain
17 attraction reviews
“Good to see”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The show was entertaining, although it had maybe two points when it was kind of slow. It's more than just singing and dancing. It's said to be a must see so that's why I recommend it. Don't take my lack of enthusiasm for dislike because we enjoyed the show and were glad we saw it.

Buy just the ticket, not the ticket with wine or dinner, and I recommend going to the early show because it may run a little late and push the later show back. Plus all bars in Paris close at 2am so once you get out of the late show you have little time for nightlife. The line is really long but it goes really fast once they start letting people in. The line is everyone with reservations. BUT if you want a good seat you should get in line maybe 30-40 mins early to ensure you beat the crowd because they sit you as you arrive. There's no reserved seating from what I saw...unless maybe you had dinner there.

Melbourne
15 attraction reviews
“So disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was extremely disappointed with the Moulin Rouge. The tickets are expensive, the reputation is excellent and I was expected a show which would live up to those standards. The tables are extremely cramped, the staff are equally rude. I have dancing training and the choreography was appalling and the technique, particularly from the male dancers was also substandard. It was 80s disco meets high school musical + breasts. I think the breasts are the only element that keeps this show going. Think twice before attending this show!